Dusk in Sungei Api Api (Sengkang)

Status
Not open for further replies.

niki

Dec 3, 2005
SengKang
Dear all,

my 1st submission. would appreciate some critiques! Haven undergone PS or any form of editing, juz except the inclusion of my name. thanks! (as pointed out by eikin, its sungei punggol! not apiapi.. i dunno how to chage the title of the thread, sorry!)

Sunset_In_Sengkang_0037a.jpg

Juz added this 2nd one. i was looking at the pic's symmetry.

Sunset_In_Sengkang_0033a.jpg

Good composition and inclusion of elements. The clouds and reflection in the water is dramatic, and the angler adds that bit of human interest to this piece, preventing it from becoming just another waterscape/ sky shot.

However, the colour is a little on the cool side, and I think you may have waited a little too long after the sun has set before capturing the image. If the image was taken shortly before the sun has set, there will be a very warm, enchanting orange-red glow across the objects in the frame and also in the clouds. Alternatively, take the photo just minutes after the sun has set. At this time there is still light in the sky, which will be turning blue. A deep red colour is also sometimes present in the clouds.

Nice work.

the person is merging into the landscape in the background already, that's a major minus for me.

hi fword,

i used the blue filter in the B&W parameter. tats y no colour.. hehe ;)

eikin,

ic.. thanks!

no problem ... there are two ways to solve this problem by the way, either you shoot from a higher angle so that the person's image rest on the water background nicely or shoot with full colour so that the person can be differentiated from the background, but the former would be better, the latter probably will not work given the dim lighting.

if i went higher.. part of the bridge above me would be inside the pic.. (on the left of the pic..) btw, i nearly slipped and fell in to river wif my gear..coz i stepped onto a layer of algae on the bank of the river... close shave man! :sweatsm:

points noted with thanks!

you sure this is Sungei Api Api? :confused:

this looks more like Sungei Punggol to me

niki said:
hi fword,

i used the blue filter in the B&W parameter. tats y no colour.. hehe ;)

Ah...fair enough. But that also means that I'm colour blind and need to get my eyes checked up. :bsmilie:

But going back to the picture, a coloured version would probably do the scene more justice, although experimenting with parameters in B&W was also good.

isit sungei punggol?

i juz checked the street directory.. yea.. its sungei punggol.. haha.. paiseh:eek:

Hi Gavin....hope you don't mind me playing around with your pics.
I kinda like this photo....so I up the saturation, feathered here and there to give
it a little more mood.

storm.jpg

i dun mind at all lah..

nice leh.. looks spooky... like somethin outta Ghostbusters.. hehe.. u used Photoshop?;)

btw, this was taken wif kit lens..

niki said:
i dun mind at all lah..

nice leh.. looks spooky... like somethin outta Ghostbusters.. hehe.. u used Photoshop?;)

btw, this was taken wif kit lens..
Spooky? No lah....trying to portray a picture of an in coming storm.
Kit lens or otherwise, it is the person behind the camera that counts.

thanks alot.

i'm surfing ard the 'marketplace' for any good stuff. u leave is still on 2moro?

Back to work again tomorrow.
Gotta put the bacon on the table:bsmilie:

oic. take care! c u soon! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.