Durian On The Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

feralburn

Dec 13, 2008
3756135167_9060c2fd67.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
-The Composition?
-Wanted a "futuristic look"..does it work?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Wanted to make like some postcard pics :). And also i wanted to take our famous esplanade from a different perspective.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took it after covering for Liverpool cruise on Saturday. Did this HDR coz of the amt of shadows and highlights available.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
I always wanted to make a sharp and futuristic looking HDR. Being rather new to photography, i find this photo pleasant. However, would love to get feedback from fellow CS-ers .

Thank You :)

hello.
i think you should tone down on the pp. the clouds are rather jarring, it's taking the attention away from your main subject.
i suggest making the clouds less saturated and contrasty to make it look more natural. right now it looks as though you have pasted the photo of the esplanade on top of some photoshop made clouds.

Good photo. I like very much. Good composition. For me sky and building object are in good balance as a whole. Like natural v.s. human made.

In all honesty, its way overdone and appears unnatural. The processing did not achieve your intentions of making the photo futuristic looking.

The perspective is fins but in nitpicking mode, the bottom right corner should be excluded so the idea of showing repetive patterns will be stronger.

The Esplanade will provide plenty of opportunity if you know how to make good use of the ambient lighting. I'd suggest you go back a few times to study the building and lighting at different times of the day.

I like ur 'durian' shot.. very sharp indeed.. mind to share about ur setting and equipment u r using?

Please drop in to any of the tourist gift shop and take some time to browse the rack where they display Singapore post card, especially of this " durian ".

I'd have thought that this picture might fit in to as part of a series of pictures portraying Esplanade by the Bay, say an article of architectural review etc.
Standing on its own, it is difficult for any foreigners, especially for those who had not seen this building before to visualize the whole structure.

Get to look at those photos taken of the world famed Guggenheim Museum Bilbao and you will know the difference and meaning of futuristic architecture. You can see lots of excellent examples at Page One, Borders or Kinokuniya book store.

On the picture, I found the portion where the fins meet the sky is a bit stark.

Last edited:
ohhh i see i see...thanks for the advice..i actualli thought that the sky looked rather realistic ..:sweat:..silly me there..
if i were to tone down on the strength of it rite...how to make it look even more futuristic? as in do i sharpen the image further?

anw i tink i took it at 45mm and f14 :)

ohhh i see i see...thanks for the advice..i actualli thought that the sky looked rather realistic ..:sweat:..silly me there..
if i were to tone down on the strength of it rite...how to make it look even more futuristic? as in do i sharpen the image further?

anw i tink i took it at 45mm and f14 :)

Realistic? In which country, let alone Singapore, does the sky look like that?

Achieving a futuristic look is a mix of your perspective, and execution. Here the perspective is not bad, but the execution (particularly in post-processing) has brought it a tad overdone.

To nitpick, leave out that silver bit at the bottom. It doesn't contribute much to the image. And like Kit said, return to the building a lot of times to check out what effect light has on the building at different times of the day. BTW, you may want to check out Kit's esplanade shots. Very impressive use of perspective and natural light to achieve a futuristic look.

Nice composition but maybe the contrast of the sky makes it look a bit unrealistic? Exposure and colour of the building is very nice.

your glass panels, which should be in shadow, are as bright as the sky.

why is the esplanade glowing like that? did you see that? do you think anyone can appreciate seeing that for a long period of time?

i think this looks like hdr.. and as usual, i dislike the approach taken.

your glass panels, which should be in shadow, are as bright as the sky.

why is the esplanade glowing like that? did you see that? do you think anyone can appreciate seeing that for a long period of time?

i think this looks like hdr.. and as usual, i dislike the approach taken.

Actually the glass panels are brighter than the blue of the sky :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.