DuoCore CPUs Any real world benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arampan

Nov 29, 2004
Jurong West
I'm looking for a PC laptop as I need to travel and do post processing using Photoshop, Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas Video. I also have some custom made software that runs only on PC.

There seems to be two kinds
Centrino single core that passes 2GHz
Duocore that is clocked below 2GHz

Salesperson says that the duocore is clocked slower yet runs faster than single core centrino. :think:

Any computer guru around who can advise me? :gbounce:
I need a kick ass fast laptop.

im using toshiba a100 dual core, i would say its very fast and made my life easier.pump it up w 2 gig of ram.u might want to look at the asustek lap top.

u need not have higher hz to have faster processing, if the chip is optimised with better sets of instructions, it will reduce the speed to process.

the newer range, normally comes with better sets of instructions in the processor. and also maybe more cpu cache.

Thinking of ACER DuoCore sets as they come with graphic cards! Waiting for the PC show at the beginning of June.

Not all software are optimize for dual core. So you will not see the benifit.

It all depend on the software.
If software is multi-threaded, then you will experience significant improvement.
It software is not multi-threaded, you would not experience significant improvement.
DuoCore CPU does speed up a bit as OS resources can be run on one core while other processes on another.
This is controlled at OS level.

If I were not mistaken Photoshop do recongnise Duo core or duo processor...:what:

Status
Not open for further replies.