Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't sound normal. I'm using a 867MHz Powerbook G4 with 640MB RAM and I can open many MSN windows without much lag.

i know it dont sound normal but it happens leh. and if i open CS, i can forget about other applications. how to use vitual memory on Mac? i think its becos of my Ram...too low. Waiting for Sitex to upgrade the Rams.

Hi Guys,
I really value all these feedback, which is very, very informative for me. :)

Just curious - what is Windows partition? I heard some of my friends talking about it before but I have absolutely no clue what isizt all about.

Another question - the salesman at Wheelock advised me that to extend the battery life of the Macbook, if I am using power supply, he recommended it is better to take out the battery. I was wondering if by doing so, will it "overstrain" the Macbook or do any longterm damage to the system?

Thanks again for the feedback! ;)

leave the battery in there, as llong as it is fully charged it will not use the battery portion but use a/c.

forums.macrumors.com

its a really good site with lots of info.

btw the new core2duo macbooks have just been released !!!!

Removing the battery and running it on AC only will force the CPU to run at a max of 1Ghz. The charging mechanism automatically cuts off at 95%. Theres no harm in leaving it in.

Removing the battery and running it on AC only will force the CPU to run at a max of 1Ghz. The charging mechanism automatically cuts off at 95%. Theres no harm in leaving it in.

yeah, i've been leaving my batts in my powerbook for more than 3 yrs now and it still can easily last 3 hours of normal use. :)

Boot Camp & Warranty
Installing Boot Camp will not void your warranty. In fact, it will become a defacto component for installing Windows in the upcoming Mac OS X Tiger (10.5).

Adobe CS Softwares usability
Intel-based Mac does support Adobe Creative Suite softwares, albeit being dynamically translated with Rosetta. Performance is slightly affected, but at least comparing between the top-of-the-line MBP + RAM upgrade and the last PowerBook, MBP is still performing much more efficiently. Adobe CS 3 will be released soon, Q1 2007. Most of times, if you believe 1GB RAM on PPC runs photoshop efficiently, you probably need 1.5 or 2GB on an Intel-based, which you can easily have in MBP.

Mac OS X Tiger will too be released soon, Q1 2007.

Mac OS X & Virus
Mac OS X (at least up to 10.4), is hardly attacked by any virus. Its OS, based on Darwin and its UNIX-like technologies, prevent it from being a vulnerable target, compared to Windoze.

Plus, Mac users consist of only 20+% of the overall PC user marketshare. One will want to design a code that can destroy more users in world, than spending a hell load of time just to find a vulnerability in Mac, while theres a hell tonnes of them in Windoze.

Boot Camp screws up?
Installing Boot Camp and Windows XP SP2 will not screw up your Mac OS X 10.4 or file system, unless you personally screw it up arh. SolBadGuy, you friend probably didn't follow the instructions explicitly. Windows-based virus cannot cross platform and attack Mac OS, since its structurely a hell of a difference.

Discolouration
MacBook Pro is unlikely to be a victim of the discolouration issue, since its aluminium, and we all know how hard it is to get it stained "properly" lol. And above all, get yourself a AppleCare extended warranty, most of time, your Mac or hardware related issues can be cured easily.

Whats Windows partition?
Windows partition: A seperated storage partition to install your Windows XP SP2 on with Boot Camp, since the core partition is formatted in HFS+ and can only install Mac OS X. In Boot Camp, you will be allowed to create a secondary partition and format it in either FAT32 or NTFS < These 2 are the "Windowsish" partitions.

Formating your secondary partition in FAT32 will allow you to access, meaning READ and WRITE on that partition in Mac OS X, but cannot exceed 32GB. If you partition in NTFS, you can READ but not WRITE on that partition in Mac OS X, although the perks are higher security, better storage management (save space) and can go beyond 32GB.

Education Advantage pricings
So far, I have heard JC students complaining that Apple does not acknowledge JC/MI as a 12th year institution (American equivalent to polytechnic and university), so beware.

----------

Hope this help. Mac OS X is a intelligently great environment. I have yet to see any cross-platformers (from Windoze presumably) regretting their decision. Many of the minor things in Mac OS X like not having to cover the entire screen when fullscreen is a bliss, and the GUI and other eye candies, I simply cannot do without. When you have finally move to Mac, you will realise how great it is, and not just a marketing stunt, it really is one of the most powerful operating system out there, at least much more than Windoze.

For users who think that Mac OS X users are newbie in some form due to the extra user-friendly OS environment, perhaps you are noob in computing anyway, there are much things you can do and not in Windoze due to Windoze restrictions, for one, the UNIX-like command environment.

So I rest my case, just hate it when people ask "what OS you use arh", and respond with "haha, noob" when I respond with Mac OS X.

Boot Camp & Warranty
Installing Boot Camp will not void your warranty. In fact, it will become a defacto component for installing Windows in the upcoming Mac OS X Tiger (10.5).

Adobe CS Softwares usability
Intel-based Mac does support Adobe Creative Suite softwares, albeit being dynamically translated with Rosetta. Performance is slightly affected, but at least comparing between the top-of-the-line MBP + RAM upgrade and the last PowerBook, MBP is still performing much more efficiently. Adobe CS 3 will be released soon, Q1 2007. Most of times, if you believe 1GB RAM on PPC runs photoshop efficiently, you probably need 1.5 or 2GB on an Intel-based, which you can easily have in MBP.

Mac OS X Tiger will too be released soon, Q1 2007.

Mac OS X & Virus
Mac OS X (at least up to 10.4), is hardly attacked by any virus. Its OS, based on Darwin and its UNIX-like technologies, prevent it from being a vulnerable target, compared to Windoze.

Plus, Mac users consist of only 20+% of the overall PC user marketshare. One will want to design a code that can destroy more users in world, than spending a hell load of time just to find a vulnerability in Mac, while theres a hell tonnes of them in Windoze.

Boot Camp screws up?
Installing Boot Camp and Windows XP SP2 will not screw up your Mac OS X 10.4 or file system, unless you personally screw it up arh. SolBadGuy, you friend probably didn't follow the instructions explicitly. Windows-based virus cannot cross platform and attack Mac OS, since its structurely a hell of a difference.

Discolouration
MacBook Pro is unlikely to be a victim of the discolouration issue, since its aluminium, and we all know how hard it is to get it stained "properly" lol. And above all, get yourself a AppleCare extended warranty, most of time, your Mac or hardware related issues can be cured easily.

Whats Windows partition?
Windows partition: A seperated storage partition to install your Windows XP SP2 on with Boot Camp, since the core partition is formatted in HFS+ and can only install Mac OS X. In Boot Camp, you will be allowed to create a secondary partition and format it in either FAT32 or NTFS < These 2 are the "Windowsish" partitions.

Formating your secondary partition in FAT32 will allow you to access, meaning READ and WRITE on that partition in Mac OS X, but cannot exceed 32GB. If you partition in NTFS, you can READ but not WRITE on that partition in Mac OS X, although the perks are higher security, better storage management (save space) and can go beyond 32GB.

Education Advantage pricings
So far, I have heard JC students complaining that Apple does not acknowledge JC/MI as a 12th year institution (American equivalent to polytechnic and university), so beware.

----------

Hope this help. Mac OS X is a intelligently great environment. I have yet to see any cross-platformers (from Windoze presumably) regretting their decision. Many of the minor things in Mac OS X like not having to cover the entire screen when fullscreen is a bliss, and the GUI and other eye candies, I simply cannot do without. When you have finally move to Mac, you will realise how great it is, and not just a marketing stunt, it really is one of the most powerful operating system out there, at least much more than Windoze.

For users who think that Mac OS X users are newbie in some form due to the extra user-friendly OS environment, perhaps you are noob in computing anyway, there are much things you can do and not in Windoze due to Windoze restrictions, for one, the UNIX-like command environment.

So I rest my case, just hate it when people ask "what OS you use arh", and respond with "haha, noob" when I respond with Mac OS X.

thanks for the great insight bro! but my MBP only 80GB i think not enuff space for me to partition it for Windoze lol... perhaps my fren really did screw his own laptop up! thanks for clearing the air!

Wait for Comex which is at the end of the month. 30Nov to 3rd Nov.

Apple having a store there as usual. The store is manned by 3 resellers, iShop, Epicentre and one more i cant really rmbr. haha.

Anyway the opinion i got from the previous IT show is that iShop has better prices for old stock whereas Epicentre has slightly higher prices because they do not display their old stock at the show hence their specs are better for Epicentre stuff. Furthremore you should note that Epicentre is a Premier Reseller, this means they have better prices etc and more freebies usually. So price or specs, you can decide yourself.

Rmbr during the IT show, approach all 3 sides and get the deal that best suits you, freebies or cash upfront, you decide. and oh, buy on the last day about 7pm, best prices then.

I will be at Comex this year, not sure if I will be working for Apple, NEC or LG or IBM, haha, i'm a regular Comex salesperson and i jump between brands. You can PM me closer to the date for the best prices.

Cheers.

thanks for the great insight bro! but my MBP only 80GB i think not enuff space for me to partition it for Windoze lol... perhaps my fren really did screw his own laptop up! thanks for clearing the air!

No problem. Love to see new Mac users, and definitely glad to help whenever possible. You can partition 5-10GB for your windoze, and hook it up with an external HDD, thats what I did, although its really energy-hungry and chore to bring out.

Welcome to the Mac family.
;)

Its OS is UNIX based and pretty stable and secure. Core 2 Duo Macs are to be released soon. so if you're not in a hurry you may wanna wait.

Yeah, you can get your own RAM from shops in Sim Lim - its cheaper - just get the right type. I am running TwinMos RAM on my iBook.:)

MyMac.jpg

Welcome to the Mac family.
;)

Its OS is UNIX based and pretty stable and secure. Core 2 Duo Macs are to be released soon. so if you're not in a hurry you may wanna wait.

Yeah, you can get your own RAM from shops in Sim Lim - its cheaper - just get the right type. I am running TwinMos RAM on my iBook.:)

MyMac.jpg

Core 2 Duo is out, since early November.

Wait for Comex which is at the end of the month. 30Nov to 3rd Nov.

Apple having a store there as usual. The store is manned by 3 resellers, iShop, Epicentre and one more i cant really rmbr. haha.

Anyway the opinion i got from the previous IT show is that iShop has better prices for old stock whereas Epicentre has slightly higher prices because they do not display their old stock at the show hence their specs are better for Epicentre stuff. Furthremore you should note that Epicentre is a Premier Reseller, this means they have better prices etc and more freebies usually. So price or specs, you can decide yourself.

Rmbr during the IT show, approach all 3 sides and get the deal that best suits you, freebies or cash upfront, you decide. and oh, buy on the last day about 7pm, best prices then.

I will be at Comex this year, not sure if I will be working for Apple, NEC or LG or IBM, haha, i'm a regular Comex salesperson and i jump between brands. You can PM me closer to the date for the best prices.

Cheers.

The 3rd: MacShop. IMNSHO, prices provided by these 3 resellers are generally market rate, even at these I.T. faires, although I believe MacShop is best among the 3, providing education advantage and credit plans.

Hey Everyone,
I finally bought my Macbook last Wednesday, but I still have a lot of questions and also realized I am so rusty with Mac technology! :S

Okay, I have a question, which is related to boot camp and partition.

Partition is basically a function that allows my Macbook to run both Windows and OS X right? That's why I have to install this boot camp software right?

So now my question is, isizt necessary for me install boot camp? Will it screw up my Mac? After installing boot camp, will it make it more vulnerable to viruses and such?

I will appreciate if someone can offer their two cents worth.

Thanks! :)

Partition is basically a function that allows my Macbook to run both Windows and OS X right? That's why I have to install this boot camp software right?
No, partition as it's name implies, is a seperation of two areas. Same like partitioning your windoze HDD. You have, C:, D:, E: etc. Or /export/home, /opt, /var etc.

So now my question is, isizt necessary for me install boot camp? Will it screw up my Mac? After installing boot camp, will it make it more vulnerable to viruses and such?
No it is not. I do not have Boot Camp installed on my MBP. I do however was playing around Parallels and had Solaris 10 6/06 and WinXP SP2 installed.

Think you misunderstood what Boot Camp is supposed to do, it only allows you to dual boot your Mac into WinXP SP2 (ONLY). Your Mac partition uses a different file system as compared to Windoze, the virus will affect your windoze partition and whatever it has been tasked to do. Windoze virus do not run on Mac and vice versa.

Once you install Windoze, you're already susceptible to virus, stick with Mac. I won't say Mac is free from Virals but it is a tad lot safer.

Hey Everyone,
I finally bought my Macbook last Wednesday, but I still have a lot of questions and also realized I am so rusty with Mac technology! :S

Okay, I have a question, which is related to boot camp and partition.

I will appreciate if someone can offer their two cents worth.

Refer to: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=2613304&postcount=45

Note: Partition is the dividing of your HDD storage, its a term, not a technique. Mac OS X on your HDD is installed in a HFS+ file format, and say you have 80GB of space, 80GB of the space are formatted in HFS+. To install Windows, Boot Camp will take some of the 80GB, and reformat it into FAT32 or NTFS. Because of the procedure, you will end up with 2 differently formatted partition, 1 HFS+ and one FAT32/NTFS.

To be concise, it appeared as though you make 2 harddisks out of your HDD.

Please do not be misled that Mac is immune to viruses. They are as vulnerable only less so.

But Macbook is still consider expensive!
And are you sure you are getting a Macbook???

"Apple admits to MacBook discoloration issues

It was recently reported by certain Apple MacBook users that their white MacBooks were becoming a grungy dirt color faster than you would expect on the wrist rest and touchpad areas. Initially Apple claimed this was due to users not properly taking care of their products. However, according to website Softpedia.com, Apple has now admitted some MacBook notebooks have manufacturing issues with the plastic and users should contact Apple Care via the www.apple.com website in order to resolve their issues.
"

13589.jpg

eh there's type of sponge in the market, just need to add water and it'll clean any dirt off plastic surface. i use it to clean my mac.. no discoloration only dirt.

Hey Everyone,

Hows your macbook so far? Thinking of getting one myself but waiting for new OS + CS3.
Just wondering to all the mac users out there...for practical photoediting out there (ie RAW conversion, curves, basic filters) is MacBook Core2Duo sufficient with 1GB RAM even with CS2 on rosetta?

And does aperture run sufficiently fast on macbook core2duo (non-pro)?

Been thinking long long to convert to mac liao, but dunno if i'll be willing to tolerate great speed drops.

Thanks all!

Hows your macbook so far? Thinking of getting one myself but waiting for new OS + CS3.
Just wondering to all the mac users out there...for practical photoediting out there (ie RAW conversion, curves, basic filters) is MacBook Core2Duo sufficient with 1GB RAM even with CS2 on rosetta?

And does aperture run sufficiently fast on macbook core2duo (non-pro)?

Been thinking long long to convert to mac liao, but dunno if i'll be willing to tolerate great speed drops.

Thanks all!
Hi,
Well so far, I'm still trying to figure out things here and there (its been 2 years since I last worked on a Mac, not counting my sister's G3) so I think its gonna take me some time to adjust.

To be honest, if I have the moolah, I will definitely opt for the Macbook Pro anytime because I want to do FCP on it, and mine is just the Macbook and unfortunately, it cannot do that. However, my current Acer can die on me anytime and I have always wanted a Mac so yeah.

Not sure regarding about Aperture but I have a good feeling the ordinary Macbook may not be powerful enough to do that, or achieve maximum results.....

Status
Not open for further replies.