Dumbest camera sales person ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah..

and i still can't get over ISO.. short for Image Stabilizer On....

gosh.. :bigeyes: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I don't think i should have taught the sales person about it.. for what i know, it might back fire on me.. and ended up being surrounded by his HN friends ...

furthermore, it was way over priced... i believe cathay was selling it for just 680 or so...
think i will get it from Cathay where at least i can expect that all the features are well explained even though i may already be quite familar with most... and that if i do have a question, i can be assured of the right answers... that's what i call good service...

Michael Ang said:
yeah..

and i still can't get over ISO.. short for Image Stabilizer On....

gosh.. :bigeyes: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I don't think i should have taught the sales person about it.. for what i know, it might back fire on me.. and ended up being surrounded by his HN friends ...

furthermore, it was way over priced... i believe cathay was selling it for just 680 or so...
think i will get it from Cathay where at least i can expect that all the features are well explained even though i may already be quite familar with most... and that if i do have a question, i can be assured of the right answers... that's what i call good service...

I walked into HN at Raffles City yesterday whilst waiting for a job to happen a few doors down. Had a look at the Canon 5D there - the lady was nice enough to take it out of the box though they didn't have a lens or battery for me to test.

Wasn't impressed with the price - $6999.

kahheng said:
That's as good as a Chinese salesman at Mustafa I once encountered - it used to be my favourite haunt when I can't sleep at night.

I asked him to demonstrate the effectiveness of the image stabilizer for a Panasonic, I think it was the FX-5. What he did next was incredible. He took the camera, and as he swung it in a big pendulum arc in an up and down manner, proceeded to take a snap with the flash on. When he showed me the result, it showed the flash capturing me quite nicely with the background blurry. This he used to prove to me the wonders of the Panasonic anti-shake technology.

I wasn't as nice as you though (I didn't grow up in a good family and I have very poor self-control) so I started laughing at him. He obviously wasn't very secure about himself so he actually asked me if what he did was wrong ;-) He couldn't explain to me why, if the anti-shake capability was so good, the background was all shakey-fuzzy. ;-) But honestly speaking, other than his false assumption that it was the anti-shake at work helping keep me nice and sharp, I actually was rather impressed with the originality and creative quality of the picture.

I then asked him to demonstrate the anti-shake capability with the flash switched OFF using his same method, and of course the picture turned out funny. He proceeded to tell me that it's 'more effective' with the flash on...........................

I deliberately did not tell him why his demo of the anti-shake capability with flash on was all very mistaken. Hell, I am sure he sold many quantities of that particular camera with such a spectacular demo. Seriously, if you don't know any better, it's a bloody impressive demo since he shake so much can still get sharp picture. I figured, why change a winning strategy? :bsmilie:

He doesn't work there anymore. Panasonic must have hired him because he sold many many cameras for them.............. eh, he might be this same guy at Sitex you know.

wat a joke for a deary, slow saturday afternoon! :bsmilie:

btw, kahheng, this poor sod from mustafar is doing nothing more than to repeat wat the panasonic ad is doing on TV.... :sweatsm:

and we still get people asking the question 'shld i buy my cam from HN/Safe/Courts etc... etc...' instead of the more reputable camera shops... someone shld make this a sticky. :p

nightwolf75 said:
wat a joke for a deary, slow saturday afternoon! :bsmilie:

btw, kahheng, this poor sod from mustafar is doing nothing more than to repeat wat the panasonic ad is doing on TV.... :sweatsm:

and we still get people asking the question 'shld i buy my cam from HN/Safe/Courts etc... etc...' instead of the more reputable camera shops... someone shld make this a sticky. :p

To be fair, HN has had some sensational deals in the past. I seem to remember a credit card based three year instalment plan on a D70s that someone mentioned which came up to some fantastically affordable bargain.

Oh, the best bargain I had from HN was a Fuji Instant Mini for $29.90... ;)

I think your Mustafa story and Michael's I.S.O story ought to be compiled and saved for our future generations to enjoy... :bsmilie:

kahheng said:
To be fair, HN has had some sensational deals in the past. I seem to remember a credit card based three year instalment plan on a D70s that someone mentioned which came up to some fantastically affordable bargain.

Tried to look for Mr ISO at sitex yesterday but all were busy attending to potential customers and not one lugging a dslr arnd with big flash n big lens

All those HN sales people are out to con hapless tourists only... every time I go there to browse, I never fail to catch sight of one bluffing his way through, either to unsuspecting uncles looking for a digicam for his kid or old ang mo tourists looking for a good deal.

Actually the same can be applied to many other shops in Singapore. Esp those at Sim Lim, who are one up becos most got one kind of attitude.

ahhaha

tml i gg to tell my customer I S O = Image stabiliser on

proabably I can hit another $1k of sales ..

I really wont feel bad doing that ..

simon80 said:
ahhaha

tml i gg to tell my customer I S O = Image stabiliser on

proabably I can hit another $1k of sales ..

I really wont feel bad doing that ..

ah mate, do that.. and say goodbye to all of other potential clients.... :think:

after telling them ISO = Image stabilizer on... pls don't forget to tell them if they don't like the concept of inserting memory cards, fold the photo film negatives into appropriate size and insert them in place of SD cards... bet you will sell another couple of hundreds...
until the authorities come knocking at your door... :nono:

holeinone said:
All those HN sales people are out to con hapless tourists only... every time I go there to browse, I never fail to catch sight of one bluffing his way through, either to unsuspecting uncles looking for a digicam for his kid or old ang mo tourists looking for a good deal.

Actually the same can be applied to many other shops in Singapore. Esp those at Sim Lim, who are one up becos most got one kind of attitude.

yeah.. that's why whenever my foreign colleagues comes around here and looking for a camera, i send them parking to my regulars sale guy at Cathay whom I am certain would not try a funny one on my friends.. i will call that sales guy ahead and inform him to take care of my friends..

i once caught a BEST salesguy trying to sell a very old model Nikon camera as one of the latest... as I did not know his potential client, i shy away from letting the cat out of his bag...
but I HATE this kind of sales person! If I work for CASE, I would do a spy kind of work and punish all this sort of sales person which gives Singapore a bad name!

Hahaha.. this is really hilarious..

Moderators, can we put this up as a sticky thread? I'm sure there are many similar instances that fellow CS-ers encountered... No only will this thread will serve useful for stress relief, but also benefits our newer CS-ers who may unknowingly be 'conned' by such 'sales'-people..

Wah... Laugh until sides ache. Really made my Monday afternoon boredom go away.

Mods should really put this as a sticky. Its so funny

mine happened while i was sourcing for DSLRs..

Harvey Norman in Hougang Mall.. i wanted to look at the D50 kit.. the sales guy took out everything... then.. duno how to put the kit lens onto body... wah piang.. i took it from him and DIY.. ask him questions, act blur, pretend cannot hear me, coz got 1 old couple asking him about a finepix camera. no charged lithium battery, test wat?... gave him back.. walk away.. now i own a 350D. sigh... this type of salesperson dun deserve their commission :thumbsd:

actually its technically correct..just that the salesguy got the abbrev wrong..

There was once when I went to HN at west mall looking for LCD protector for my cam.....I knew HN should sell more expensive but I seldom go SLS or funan so thought can save trouble....When I ask the guy whether they sell the protector, guess wat? the guy say "no such thing leh" :dunno: ....ask me buy PDAs' protector then cut......:bsmilie:

wau lao....I can understand if they dun know each individual cameras functions or specs as they sell too many types....but at least muz haf some basic knowledge wat.....piangz~!...

oh well.....anyway their stuff is too expensive so seldom buy fr there...unless really lazy go elsewhere find....:bsmilie:

When I was at the recent Sitex, a panasonic salesman saw me with my camera bag. He asked is mine a DSLR, I said yes and then he points me to Panasonic DSLR!

My mind go like "when did panasonic ever product DSLR??!!?"

SO the salesman goes on, it got 3.5" LCD (now this is true, it was SOOO BBIGG!) But then the salesman also said that the lens is fixed. From there, I walked away saying thanks I'm not interested. Panasonic DSLR with unchangable lens... Some more introducing it to someone who's using a DSLR... HELP..!!

well.....

not really about cameras, but once I went to those computer Expos, Sitex or something and I asked for a router, the guy looked at me and asked.... "what's a router ?" but then again that guy looks like a secondary school boy, just doing part time work there.

I've had my fair share of salespeople trying to throw smoke and treating me like an idiot. They should know that in this day and age of IT and the internet, customers are more well-informed than ever before.

Status
Not open for further replies.