Dull print outs from slide film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandora

May 15, 2002
Visit site
Hi guys,

Badly need some help here. Previously, I had some slide film developed at RGB. When I brought the slides home, the colours looked great when viewed over a light box.

Happily, I went to have selected slides printed out at Colour Lab, but most of them turned out dull (not bright enough). Is this unusual or is there a problem with my exposure that I am experiencing this?

A friend told me that it is not unusual that slide films are underexposed ... but I don't know how much I should believe him as he only uses negative films.

These are my first batch of pictures taken with slide films, not sure what to do now, but I'm really getting that sinking feeling now. :what:

I am told slide films usually print a bit darker, so slides to be printed should be shot at +1/3 EV. Don't forget that when viewed through a light box, you are viewing the slide via transmitted light. This makes the slides very vibrant. Once printed, you are viewing via reflected light, which will be duller than the original slide.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
I am told slide films usually print a bit darker, so slides to be printed should be shot at +1/3 EV. Don't forget that when viewed through a light box, you are viewing the slide via transmitted light. This makes the slides very vibrant. Once printed, you are viewing via reflected light, which will be duller than the original slide.

Thanks ckiang. I think that was the idea my friend was trying to convey to me. But I really like some of the pictures and need to have them blown up to 8R.

What should I do then? Scan the slides, brighten them in Photoshop and then have them printed? Would there be any loss in quality?

Originally posted by Pandora

Thanks ckiang. I think that was the idea my friend was trying to convey to me. But I really like some of the pictures and need to have them blown up to 8R.

What should I do then? Scan the slides, brighten them in Photoshop and then have them printed? Would there be any loss in quality?

That will probably be a good idea. Scan them using a good film scanner, not those flat bed + film adaptor. Do your necessary adjustments, applying the required amount of USM, then send it in for digital printing.

Regards
CK

Do your necessary adjustments, applying the required amount of USM , then send it in for digital printing.

Regards
CK

Sorry, can you kindly tell me what USM stands for?

Originally posted by Pandora

Sorry, can you kindly tell me what USM stands for?

UnSharpen Mask
Ultra Sonic Motor
ultra Super Man

:dunno:

Regards
CK

Erm and just who told you this wives tale about slides printing darker?

Originally posted by Ian

Erm and just who told you this wives tale about slides printing darker?

I can't remember, not someone from ClubSNAP, and definitely not from the lab. But I never had problems with printing correctly exposed slides (as opposed to overexposing +1/3EV).

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ninelives
I have tried printing slide to 8R print before too, yes , it is darker...

Have you tried printing in 4 or 5R?
BTW, the lab you referring to is KJ colorlab?
Me, thought of printing from slide as well.

Regards
CK

There were only 2 times when I did slides to print and had no probs. R u sure it is a recommended advice to shoot at +1/3 for slides if u want to print them? How will u ever know whether the slides which u took will be printed in the future? If u're sure, then u'll prob use print films in the first place.

Over exposing a slide film won't help at all with producing a more vibrant print on paper.

If your getting dull prints back from the lab then demand they reprint it and if they can't get it right start looking for a new lab.

The reasons you get a darker print (short version) are as follows;

The 'channel' on the printer isn't correctly or accurately setup. This is a common problem with most mini-labs. - This covers a multitude of sins ranging from using incorrect densitometer test targets to used 'old' dichroic lamps, insufficient and sloppy maintainance of channel profiles etc.

The person doing the printing (printer) is incompetent, lazy or both.

yep, sometime RGB does screw up jobs.. The technician keep moving ard from branches to branches and not very consistent at times. Either go headquarter or go spectra.

Originally posted by Jerome

There were only 2 times when I did slides to print and had no probs. R u sure it is a recommended advice to shoot at +1/3 for slides if u want to print them? How will u ever know whether the slides which u took will be printed in the future? If u're sure, then u'll prob use print films in the first place.

No, I don't recommend +1/3 EV. I prefer to have my slides correctly exposed. I only tried Slide to Print twice, in 2 different labs and the results are okay for both. :)

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.