Dull and fuzzy images .....help

Status
Not open for further replies.

E1g3

Feb 5, 2003
Visit site
My pics taken with 20D when view on CS, all look dull and when view "actual pixel', all fuzzy. Then I realised the resolution is 72 pix/in where the default photo size is 48.667 x 32.444 in. All photos were shot in Jpeg Large, parameter 2 with 17-40L . When I view my pics shot with 10D and S2 IS, the view resolution is 180px/in as default and photo were sharp and vibrant.

Pl help what should be adjusted for 20D, thanks

Perhaps you can post some sample photos here

E1g3 said:
My pics taken with 20D when view on CS, all look dull and when view "actual pixel', all fuzzy. Then I realised the resolution is 72 pix/in where the default photo size is 48.667 x 32.444 in. All photos were shot in Jpeg Large, parameter 2 with 17-40L . When I view my pics shot with 10D and S2 IS, the view resolution is 180px/in as default and photo were sharp and vibrant.

Pl help what should be adjusted for 20D, thanks

resolution (image DPI) at 72pix/in should be alright for posting your picture. you only need higher resolution for printing but save your picture in smaller image size 640X426 or 800X433. try it and see.

I'm not refering to posting pics. I'm puzzled how come when I open my pics in CS, the viewing resolution is only 72pix/in. Whereas, pics from 10D opens at 180px/in. Is it because 10D is 6mp and 20D is 8mp?

MG_3125.jpg

If view in actual pixels even worst.

Huh? What's wrong? Image looks ok to me.

Are you refering to color dull? probably try to save to sRGB. Not very sure what is your problem tho like the rest.

But how come default view resolution only 72px instead of 10D's 180 px.
Any explanation? thanks

E1g3 said:
But how come default view resolution only 72px instead of 10D's 180 px.
Any explanation? thanks
it is just an arbitrary number.

looks ok to me too..maybe you stared at it too long and get hypnotised/blurred by the roof tiles...:bsmilie:

Search using google, there are answers to your query. Basically the dpi has nothing to do with fuzzy pics.

Take a photo using 10D and 20D, i would believe it will be as fuzzy if the image you capture and camera setting is the same.

QUOTE FYI>>> what i found on the net...

Chris Whitted , mar 14, 2005; 11:55 a.m.
Photoshop assumes a default resolution of 72dpi if none is specified in the file, or if it can't find it. Either Canon has stopped having a resolution specified with the 20D, or they have altered the location in the file where the info is stored and Photoshop can't find it. Different software may, just like the auto-rotate issue some people have.

UNQUOTE

look ok to me too.. looks 'dull' because it's wrongly exposed i guess.. just up the brightness and saturation should fix the prob.

of cos its looks dull... the roof are grey, the cloud are also grey...
as for fuzziness, i can't see, the image is too small to check

the tree leaves do look fuzzy -
not enough DOF. stop down to f22 and use the fastest shutter speed.

if picture is dull try converting it to BW.

"actual pixel" means that each pixel of the image is mapped to a single pixel of the screen resolution...i.e. an image of 1280 pixels wide would fill the entire screen of a monitor set at 1280 pixels wide (say 1280x1024 screen resolution)...doesn't matter what dpi an image is... try changing the dpi without resampling the image and you would see this...:)

there is nothing wrong with your pic's resolution...it's around 3500 by 2350 = 8 MP...

if u increase your resolution to 300 your pic size would be 11.68 by 7.79 inch.

maybe it was a hazy day....:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

hmmm....check the color profile setting of your cam and CS workspace..they should be set to the same

To the thread starter, I do not know whether u have found the answer to your question, but here is my answer.

Whether your emebedded resolution is 72 pix/in or 180 pix/in or even 300 pix/in, it is not going to affect your picture quality when view on screen. You will only see the different when you print the picture. Embedded resolution tells your printer how far apart to spread the pixels, thus, affect your print quality. It does not affect your image on the computer screen.

Be it 72pix/in or 180pix/in, the resolution of the image taken by a 20D is still 3504 x 2336.

Status
Not open for further replies.