Dual LCD monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

firewater

Sep 23, 2006
Asia
Hi, i am thinking of getting a new LCD monitor. On top of my old one. Does any one know how do i connet two monitors on one PC?

get a dedicated graphics card, and make sure it comes with both vga+vga, vga+dvi, or dvi+dvi outputs. Make sure your monitor can support vga/dvi.

If your computer has an integrated graphics chip, you'll have to see if it has a slot on the motherboard for a dedicated graphics card. (i.e. AGP, PCI express slots). If the motherboard does not have a dedicated card slot, you can still use a regular PCI slot for an extra graphics card but it won't be as "fast" as one in a dedicated slot.

yup juz buy a good graphic card.. cost only less than 300 you can get a good one with capabilities to display on 2 - 3 monitor..:D

If u want to get higher resolution from extending ur display with two monitors, look for those dual output graphics card ( check the spec to see what is the resolution they can display )

Even more displays with to support yet higher resolutions we are looking at stuffs like having SLI/crossfire, Quadro series, Matrox dualhead2go/triplehead2go etc. .

Ryan

Last edited:
I have 2 LG monitors connected up using a Matrox Millennium P650 PCIe 128MB. So far I have found Matrox the best for connecting 2 Monitors, now looking to put in a card for 3.

I just installed the card, the card comes with digital connectors, and most monitors have these connectors now, if not the card comes with digital to vga crossovers.

I would also recommend getting another program called UltraMon, which lets you then setup your desktop a lot easier.

I currently have 1 monitor with Outlook, FF3 open on it, the other monitor I use for general working with other programs but if I need to excel open can easily move programs between screens.

Cheers ....

I just found out my graphic card has one VGA out and one DVI out plus one TV-out. Does that mean I can connet one to DVI and the other to VGA?

Note too that there is a limitation on total resolution that a single card that can support 2 monitors has. Up to the Nvidia Geforce 9800, it can take a maximum resolution of 2560x 1600 or something of the sort. So if you're thinking to run 2 x24" monitor at full 1920x1600, you'll need to run dual cards, most likely a SLI set-up.

Probably good if u r doing less intensive 2D / document work. Any higher loads of multiple monitors u r going to slow down the CPU unless it is some higher end quad core CPU.

Ryan
You can always do you 3D stuff on ur primary monitor...

It will not stress of CPU. I did not know where you derive that more monitors = lag on CPU.
People had been doing dual monitors in the Pentium 4 days.

yes, you can adapt the resolution and orientation per monitor.

You can always do you 3D stuff on ur primary monitor...

It will not stress of CPU. I did not know where you derive that more monitors = lag on CPU.
People had been doing dual monitors in the Pentium 4 days.

I am not referring to multiple monitors in general. I have been doing dual display since my P3 days.

Googled , Tomshardware on the Samsung SyncMaster 940ux, another Samsumg LCD USB monitor
For Usb monitors, if the graphics card is not needed, someone has to be involved in processing and support of the monitors, more so with high refresh rates, high res.

" Given the fact that the USB controller requires CPU cycles to work, there is an obvious concerns how much of your CPU this technology will need. Two connected monitors resulted in a 30% load on a single Intel "Core 2" CPU core, or about 8% on a quad-core Core 2 Extreme QX6800 (2.93 GHz). Expect 50% of one Q6600 core being loaded in such a scenario.

If you are looking at a much less powerful CPU, such as AMD’s Turion 64 X2 2.0 GHz, the numbers were a total CPU load of 60-70% - or 100% of one core. That leaves you with only 30-40% of your available processing power. So, plan on using such a system with a powerful processor, ideally a high-end quad-core chip. "

For the usual daily less intensive running of softwares / movies / document viewing a USB connection on a lesser CPU is definitely a simpler alternative. as a matter of fact I am looking at multiple LD220 for my dad's nxt trade terminal

Ryan

I am not referring to multiple monitors in general. I have been doing dual display since my P3 days.

Googled , Tomshardware on the Samsung SyncMaster 940ux, another Samsumg LCD USB monitor
For Usb monitors, if the graphics card is not needed, someone has to be involved in processing and support of the monitors, more so with high refresh rates, high res.

" Given the fact that the USB controller requires CPU cycles to work, there is an obvious concerns how much of your CPU this technology will need. Two connected monitors resulted in a 30% load on a single Intel "Core 2" CPU core, or about 8% on a quad-core Core 2 Extreme QX6800 (2.93 GHz). Expect 50% of one Q6600 core being loaded in such a scenario.

If you are looking at a much less powerful CPU, such as AMD’s Turion 64 X2 2.0 GHz, the numbers were a total CPU load of 60-70% - or 100% of one core. That leaves you with only 30-40% of your available processing power. So, plan on using such a system with a powerful processor, ideally a high-end quad-core chip. "

For the usual daily less intensive running of softwares / movies / document viewing a USB connection on a lesser CPU is definitely a simpler alternative. as a matter of fact I am looking at multiple LD220 for my dad's nxt trade terminal

Ryan
Roger, mistook your meaning for normal dual monitor configuration.

thanks for clarifying. ;)

hi guys...

can i just fix a vga splitter cable to my onboard graphics card to get the dual lcd monitors effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.