Dual display

Status
Not open for further replies.

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
Anyone here used dual display monitor intensively for photo editing?

Was thinking of getting a 20/24" wide LCD but my present monitor is working perfectly ok. So, kind of waste to sell/throw. I wanted dual more space as my 17" is kind of too small when I used photoshop due to all those actions/layer etc.

Need some recomendation for AGP dual display card too. Ya, my present LCD is analog one, so need at least 1 analog output.

I used my setup mainly for photo editing, internet and office applications.

Thanks all.

I am using dual display for Photoshop, a 17" and a 21" LCD monitor (both Samsungs). One thing I must warn you is two displays will take up quite a bit of your tabletop space, therefore you'll need a table of at least 6'.

For me, besides the two monitors, I also have a medium format film scanner, a 6x8 tablet, wireless keyboard and mouse, speakers, an external hardrive, an Epson A3 printer and my little coffee/soda corner. I have an 8' table ;).

Most new video cards support 2 monitors with digital and analog outputs. You can't go wrong with either ATI or Nvidia based cards. Choose one with a memory of at least 256MB. You don't need a really hi-end video card for image editing. A mid-range model will do the job perfectly.

actually, what i normally do is hook up an old s3 PCI graphics card ( NOT Pci-E) and use both graphics card, agp and also the pci graphics.

if u find 17'' too small, try 19" ..

photobum said:
I am using dual display for Photoshop, a 17" and a 21" LCD monitor (both Samsungs). One thing I must warn you is two displays will take up quite a bit of your tabletop space, therefore you'll need a table of at least 6'.

For me, besides the two monitors, I also have a medium format film scanner, a 6x8 tablet, wireless keyboard and mouse, speakers, an external hardrive, an Epson A3 printer and my little coffee/soda corner. I have an 8' table ;).

Most new video cards support 2 monitors with digital and analog outputs. You can't go wrong with either ATI or Nvidia based cards. Choose one with a memory of at least 256MB. You don't need a really hi-end video card for image editing. A mid-range model will do the job perfectly.
Can you please share which Samsung model you are using in 21" ???

Fiip said:
Can you please share which Samsung model you are using in 21" ???

Samsung 214T (not a widescreen model).

Check on Joho's Blog.....he has one 24 inch Dell Wide Screen Display and 2 x 19 inch CRTs.

His table is about 6 feet in length and 3 feet in width.

binbeto said:
Anyone here used dual display monitor intensively for photo editing?

Was thinking of getting a 20/24" wide LCD but my present monitor is working perfectly ok. So, kind of waste to sell/throw. I wanted dual more space as my 17" is kind of too small when I used photoshop due to all those actions/layer etc.

Need some recomendation for AGP dual display card too. Ya, my present LCD is analog one, so need at least 1 analog output.

I used my setup mainly for photo editing, internet and office applications.

Thanks all.
Just one point to note though... It's best you get a card with a dual output and use identical monitors because in Windows, you only get to use one monitor profile for both monitors. Another way is to profile one monitor for the images and use the other for the menu etc etc. I don't know if there are other solutions available because I would definitely like to profile each monitor independently.

Ah bin, what you need is.

Mac Pro :thumbsup:

Support up to 8 30" Apple Cinema Displays :thumbsup:

Pro Image said:
Check on Joho's Blog.....he has one 24 inch Dell Wide Screen Display and 2 x 19 inch CRTs.

His table is about 6 feet in length and 3 feet in width.

Does he have a Nikon Coolscan 8000, a Wacom Intuos 6x8 tablet, a pair of Altec Lansing satelite speakers and an Epson R2400 printer on his table?

2 x 24" will never go wrong no matter what you do with them.

asus_post.sized.jpg

4firefoxes.sized.jpg

more @ http://manman.homedns.org:2625/geeklog2/main/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album96

Thanks for all the reply..

Workspace could be a problem... even if 2x17", needs to do quite a bit of adjustment.

No $$ to buy Mac pro.. :cry:

2x24" is out due to cost.. haa haa

I will be doing profile for the monitor I used for the pic.. No need profile for the lcd for those tools bar I guess..

Will properly look see at the coming IT show.

Any pitfall in using 2 lcd beside space consideration?

i can profile both monitors seperately leh :dunno: using ATI 9000 only

photobum said:
Does he have a Nikon Coolscan 8000, a Wacom Intuos 6x8 tablet, a pair of Altec Lansing satelite speakers and an Epson R2400 printer on his table?

I don't think so yet......:bsmilie:

quekky said:
i can profile both monitors seperately leh :dunno: using ATI 9000 only

Being able top profile 2 monitors seperately is different from being able to load 2 seperate profiles, one for each monitor. To do that under Windows, you generally need either 2 seperate graphics cards or a single graphics card that supports seperate LUT's (typically, this would be a higher-end Matrox solution).

Firefox said:
Being able top profile 2 monitors seperately is different from being able to load 2 seperate profiles, one for each monitor. To do that under Windows, you generally need either 2 seperate graphics cards or a single graphics card that supports seperate LUT's (typically, this would be a higher-end Matrox solution).

i can see both monitors have a different colors before and after i profile them. ie. after I profile monitor 1, monitor 2 didn't change color. then when i profile monitor 2, monitor 1 was still the same but the colors for monitor 2 changes. i dunno much about what cards can do this what cards cant do this, i just happy with what i got

Status
Not open for further replies.