DSLRs vs. Digital Compacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoweagle

Jan 26, 2005
Pasir Ris, Singapore
With the rising popularity of DSLRs with more affordable prices, many people are turning to buying DSLRs. So does that mean digital compacts are losing out to DSLRs or are getting less popular?

Snoweagle said:
With the rising popularity of DSLRs with more affordable prices, many people are turning to buying DSLRs. So does that mean digital compacts are losing out to DSLRs or are getting less popular?

No, i dont think so, many people will still think of a DSLR as a proffessional camera and therefore will hesitate when buying, so many people will just buy a P&S for easy use. There is still a huge market for these P&S camera's.

DC and DSLR are for different markets. I like my DC as much as I like my DSLR.

Eg: Though German engineered cars are preferred, there are still demand for Jap and Korean made.

With bigger sensor and features packed on a digi compacts, I'll prefer a digicam to a bulky SLR. Currently, the Panasonic LX1 has almost replaced my DSLR.

Sure, there are things that a digicam cannot do and a Slr is better suited for the job. But bulk of what most people shoot can be done with a digicam. I think most of the time, it is just an overkill to use a slr.

wildstallion said:
No, i dont think so, many people will still think of a DSLR as a proffessional camera and therefore will hesitate when buying, so many people will just buy a P&S for easy use. There is still a huge market for these P&S camera's.

There are budget DSLRs such as the Nikon D50 and Canon EOS 350D. Some even have turned their DSLRs to PnS.

A DC will go places where DSLR doesn't.

Like in a bag, or handbag... :bsmilie:

jeffhiew said:
DC and DSLR are for different markets. I like my DC as much as I like my DSLR.

Eg: Though German engineered cars are preferred, there are still demand for Jap and Korean made.

Though i don't have a DSLR, only a film one. I normally use my SLR for shoots as really think that SLRs have much better control over compact digicams. Now my compact digicam is just sitting inside my ziplock bag in my room.

weekh said:
With bigger sensor and features packed on a digi compacts, I'll prefer a digicam to a bulky SLR. Currently, the Panasonic LX1 has almost replaced my DSLR.

Sure, there are things that a digicam cannot do and a Slr is better suited for the job. But bulk of what most people shoot can be done with a digicam. I think most of the time, it is just an overkill to use a slr.

Agree...whenever i bring my SLR, my tripod comes with me and the extra bulk n weight can be felt significantly. When i bring my compact digicam, it's just a small bag.

espn said:
A DC will go places where DSLR doesn't.

Like in a bag, or handbag... :bsmilie:

I suppose these are all just carrying light with less bulk.

Snoweagle said:

That will be true if PRICE is the only deciding factor for consumers - which isn't.
Ultra-compacts have their own share of the market and targeted audiences.

For instance, it just isn't "cool" to be using a dSLR for taking photos of friends while clubbing, or casual gatherings, those kinda occasions. It would look awkward to have someone taking up a dSLR and say, "hey lets shoot some pics together?":sweat:

Good question, however different varieties of cameras will cater to different markets. The look and feel + weight of an ultracompact is still a factor for many.

More serious amateurs who are not willing to sink their money into an SLR system will still see the prosumer super-zoom cameras as being very attractive. For less discerning users, the sheer focal length range of these cameras is hard to duplicate on an SLR system without a significant cost.

Though I've gone for the DSLR, I cannot help but envy the simplicity, ease of use and the comparatively low-cost PowerShot S2 IS which my brother and uncle use.

DSLRs are probably meant for those who are serious about producing what we broadly call 'artistic' images, although not excluding snapshots and family candids. They are also able and willing to stomach the high cost, are willing to take greater care with their equipment, and don't mind lugging around a large body plus lenses if they know that it'd help them get the shot they want. The responsiveness of an SLR system plus low noise also means it's better suited for fast-paced action. It is versatile and may help (together with a photographer's skill of course) to get a shot that a usual compact camera may not.

michhy said:
That will be true if PRICE is the only deciding factor for consumers - which isn't.
Ultra-compacts have their own share of the market and targeted audiences.

For instance, it just isn't "cool" to be using a dSLR for taking photos of friends while clubbing, or casual gatherings, those kinda occasions. It would look awkward to have someone taking up a dSLR and say, "hey lets shoot some pics together?":sweat:

Yah i agree LOL...IMO SLRs are used only for events and other photoshoots.

fWord said:
Good question, however different varieties of cameras will cater to different markets. The look and feel + weight of an ultracompact is still a factor for many.

More serious amateurs who are not willing to sink their money into an SLR system will still see the prosumer super-zoom cameras as being very attractive. For less discerning users, the sheer focal length range of these cameras is hard to duplicate on an SLR system without a significant cost.

Though I've gone for the DSLR, I cannot help but envy the simplicity, ease of use and the comparatively low-cost PowerShot S2 IS which my brother and uncle use.

DSLRs are probably meant for those who are serious about producing what we broadly call 'artistic' images, although not excluding snapshots and family candids. They are also able and willing to stomach the high cost, are willing to take greater care with their equipment, and don't mind lugging around a large body plus lenses if they know that it'd help them get the shot they want. The responsiveness of an SLR system plus low noise also means it's better suited for fast-paced action. It is versatile and may help (together with a photographer's skill of course) to get a shot that a usual compact camera may not.

Yes true...a compact will never be as fast as a SLR in terms of AF speeds and locks as SLRs are able to use different lens to suit different occassions. IMO SLRs do produce better image quality than compacts.

michhy said:

Uhh, why is it weird? In the past, you only have MF & SLR film, you would do that? Nowadays, if you do that, people will say," Wow, so pro got DSLR!!!" Usually it's those who don't know much about photography or only have compacts who would say that!

I don't have a Dcompact, and I do use my D50 for casual gatherings. Nothing wrong with that.

roti_prata said:
how come?

Cos u'll never know when u'll need to use it. I don't bring it if i bring out my compact digicam cos my tripod's not meant for these cams.

blive said:
DSLR can be used for other occasions, what? I use it to capture my baby girl's memorable moments, and for my travel memories....

I suppose so in other's point of view.

blive said:
Uhh, why is it weird? In the past, you only have MF & SLR film, you would do that? Nowadays, if you do that, people will say," Wow, so pro got DSLR!!!" Usually it's those who don't know much about photography or only have compacts who would say that!

I don't have a Dcompact, and I do use my D50 for casual gatherings. Nothing wrong with that.

I didnt say it is "weird" to use a dSLR to shoot while clubbing.
I only say it is "uncool". Dont believe go try lor.:dunno:
I'd rather be seen holding some sexy ultra-compacts than a bulky dSLR while clubbing! it's just me though.

I think price point is a MAJOR factor in deciding a D-P&S vs D-SLR.

A 6MP or 8MP D-P&S is half the price of a D-SLR of the same. It becomes more once the lenses, flash, rechargable batteries, camera bag, higher speed memory card, remote release, etc. etc. is added to the D-SLR.

Ultimately is a question of price for the usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.