Dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernels

Aug 11, 2003
i'm thinking of whether or not to get a DSLR. i have a Olympus C5050. i find the zoom not good enough. thus, i'm considering whether or not to get DSLR.

what are your recommendations? should i get? what models do u recommend?

kernels said:
i'm thinking of whether or not to get a DSLR. i have a Olympus C5050. i find the zoom not good enough. thus, i'm considering whether or not to get DSLR.

What do you mean when you say the zoom is not good enough?
Not enough range? Picture quality not good enough?

If you can be more specific then people here can better advice you whether DSLR is going to solve your problems. Otherwise, you might be more frustrated by a DSLR than your current C5050.

kernels said:

if u mean the c5050 zoom range not good enuff, then u must take note the 10x zoom of c5050 is equivelant to a 350mm lens on a full sized frame sensor dslr

zodnm said:
if u mean the c5050 zoom range not good enuff, then u must take note the 10x zoom of c5050 is equivelant to a 350mm lens on a full sized frame sensor dslr

Is the C5050 10X zoom? I believe it's 3X zoom and maybe thats why he is feeling a tad frustrated. But remember, a DSLR is not a cure all for everything. Esp not zoom range. Even with the inherent multiplier of a DSLR sensor, you might still find it lacking if you do not get a lense that offers u a reach you want.

You might be better off with the Olympus C750 which offers 10X zoom, and a flash hotshot.

Out of curiosity, why would you require such a long reach for? 3X zoom is quite sufficient. :)

Note, I've seen wonders with 3x, A40, A70 etc. Infact I do find a 8x DC quite restricting at times myself.

A DSLR is limited by the range of it's lenses. You will find more frustration over the purchase and carrying of various lenses to cover your focal length.

Even with a 500mm lens on a DSLR, no IS or VR, your image and zoom will suffer. DSLR is not a cure and solution for your problems.

:)

indeed, the lens for a slr may be the "killer" in the equation. for a faster, and higher end zoom lens, it may cost quite a few times more than the 5050.

espn said:
Even with a 500mm lens on a DSLR, no IS or VR, your image and zoom will suffer. DSLR is not a cure and solution for your problems.

:)
why will the image suffer? :dunno:
lens not good? body not good? hand shake at 500mm?

kernels said:

what ever the reasons, there is the eos300d, eos 10d and nikon D100 to consider... the rest are higher end models that cost more than $5000 which puts them out of league...

espn said:
Note, I've seen wonders with 3x, A40, A70 etc. Infact I do find a 8x DC quite restricting at times myself.

A DSLR is limited by the range of it's lenses. You will find more frustration over the purchase and carrying of various lenses to cover your focal length.

Getting DSLR certainly is not a solution to your problem(s). You should get to know your SELF and your CAMERA well. Therein lies your solution. Perhaps by sharing with us exactly what made you comment thus, then we can help you find solutions.

To add to Espn's point, I find a 4X zoom on my CP4500 enough for almost all of my needs, including commercial printing. Period.

kernels said:

Like the guys here have said, you gotta be more specific in your post. "the zoom not good enough" is too general for us to identify your problem. Could it be that you need a longer reach? Or you find the zoom extending too slowly? Or maybe difficulty in eliminating a shaky image at max zoom length? If you could relate your problem in detail (and perhaps post some pictures to illustrate it), maybe we could help you out with it.

Simply put, getting a DSLR is not meant to be a quick fix to your problem. Its a whole new ball game altogether. Indeed, you might be even more disappointed by the initial results you obtain from a DSLR and just decide that "this (insert model here) does not give me the pictures I want" or "the lens zoom is not good enough". What next then? :dunno:

Wolfgang said:
Is the C5050 10X zoom? I believe it's 3X zoom and maybe thats why he is feeling a tad frustrated. But remember, a DSLR is not a cure all for everything. Esp not zoom range. Even with the inherent multiplier of a DSLR sensor, you might still find it lacking if you do not get a lense that offers u a reach you want.

You might be better off with the Olympus C750 which offers 10X zoom, and a flash hotshot.

Out of curiosity, why would you require such a long reach for? 3X zoom is quite sufficient. :)

oops, got mixed up with 750
hehe

Garion said:
Like the guys here have said, you gotta be more specific in your post. "the zoom not good enough" is too general for us to identify your problem. Could it be that you need a longer reach? Or you find the zoom extending too slowly? Or maybe difficulty in eliminating a shaky image at max zoom length? If you could relate your problem in detail (and perhaps post some pictures to illustrate it), maybe we could help you out with it.

Simply put, getting a DSLR is not meant to be a quick fix to your problem. Its a whole new ball game altogether. Indeed, you might be even more disappointed by the initial results you obtain from a DSLR and just decide that "this (insert model here) does not give me the pictures I want" or "the lens zoom is not good enough". What next then? :dunno:

i think that there will be a DSLR that would be able to satisfy the needs... just depends on the price one is willing to pay... for example. the EOS1D or Ds can combine with the many canon lenses, providing stellar zoom range and image quality. thus i do believe that with the money, one can buy something that would satisfy... but of course my suggestion is absurd for a newbie dslr upgrader.

quick fix? its possible. but money's not so quick to come. right guys....

I don't think a DSLR is to satisfy needs, a camera's usgae to take pictures, if you say the zoom is not enough on your C5050, is your composition the problem ? Or you stand between crowds so all the other cameras and hands are flying above you that you can't snap?

DSLR is a system that requires lenses. There's no 1 lens does everything for DSLR unlike DCs. It's not a solution as mentioned because you'll need a Micro lens, wide angle lens, portrait lens, zoom lens. All these lenses just to get what you have on ur DC now.

I can give you a 1Ds + 75-300mm zoom, but if you don't know your basics on composition, shutter/aperture, what's the point of having a DSLR?

Upgrade only when you feel limited by your current setup. Only when there's no more to expand or go into.

Of course if you're rich then it's a different story... just jump in first then learn later.

kernels said:

you're getting a dslr for the wrong reasons. it doesn't mean DSLR means better. it's up to how you shoot your photos.

if you want more zoom, you should be getting a consumer camera that can zoom up to 200mm. for dslr it's much more expensive to get a body + zoom lens that can handle 200mm.

if you think your pictures are not sharp or well coloured, there's always photoshop. unless you're darn rich, then fine enough go get a dslr but if you don't know what to do with it, then i must just say you've gotten the wrong cam.

or rather, the right cam, but for the wrong reasons.

Guys,

Let's wait for kernels to respond before making any more comments.

- Roy

hey thanks roy :)

thank u all for your valuable comments.

well, i was actually trying to say that the zoom did not have a good enough range. but after learning from u all, getting a DSLR is not a solution for this problem, i gather.

probably i'll not be so impatient and explore more of my 5050 first. i'm a learner, not an expert. as such, i seek guidance from the experts here.

kernels said:

well, i was actually trying to say that the zoom did not have a good enough range. but after learning from u all, getting a DSLR is not a solution for this problem, i gather.

probably i'll not be so impatient and explore more of my 5050 first. i'm a learner, not an expert. as such, i seek guidance from the experts here.

Going from digicam to DSLR for the sole purpose of getting a wider zoom range is definitely not the right thing to do.

A lower cost alternative to get a wider zoom range on your C5050 is to use tele- and wide-angle- convertors. A little troublesome, but bear in mind that most SLR zooms are also around 2X ~ 3X in zoom range. There are some super-zooms around, but the choices are limited and most would advice against using them if you want to emphasize also on image quality.

There are other benefits a DSLR can bring, but along with it comes a different set of limitations, which is mainly equipment cost, size and weight. You got to decide for yourself if your passion and style of photography makes a DSLR suitable for you.

A good photographer should have an open mind to understand the strengths and weakness of both digicam and DSLR systems and make a clear decision on which camp to join based on as many factors as possible.

Having said all that, actually quite a number of us here use both digicam and DSLR, the choice of which is dependent on the shooting condition. For myself, I use my DSLR most of the time now but still revert to my digicam (CP995) for astrophotography.

- Roy

kernels said:

You should get a Teleconverter (maybe a 2.0x one) to double the optical zoom from 3.0x to 6.0x if that's your main concern.

But do note that as you zoom in, the camera shake is more obvious and you will need a tripod to stablise the shot or a higher shutter speed (but it depends on available light).

kernels said:
probably i'll not be so impatient and explore more of my 5050 first. i'm a learner, not an expert.
Learning is lifelong. Come join some of us for outings, shoot together, learn together, and most of all - discover the wonders of your camera.

(Look out for AG 9 outing...)

Winston said:
You should get a Teleconverter (maybe a 2.0x one) to double the optical zoom from 3.0x to 6.0x if that's your main concern.

just a note on the 2.0x teleconverter. there're no good (and reasonably priced) ones that would work with the C5050. most, if not all, of the easily available 2.0x teleconverters in the market are meant for video (<vga resolution), degrades the image quality and perform like ~1.3x.

Status
Not open for further replies.