Dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysum

Apr 18, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm interested in getting a DSLR, but I'm not too sure what camera I should buy. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good camera for newbies to the DSLRs?

Criteria:

1. I would strongly prefer Canon because my Ixus has done a pretty good job even though its only a 2.0 megapixel. I've heard Nikon is good too, but I have never tried Nikon models before.

2. I don't really have a budget in mind, but don't choose models that cost a bomb eg. S$4000+

Thanks a lot, M Y SUM signing out!

Ok...

Canon EOS 1DS MKII
Canon EOS 1D MII
Canon EOS 5D

Definitely don't cost a bomb :D

How's about the Canon 30D, price around 2400++;)

Or Nikon D200?

Another thing...

I want a camera that will come WITH the lens in the package.

mysum said:
I'm not too sure what camera I should buy. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good camera for newbies to the DSLRs?

You should not get into a dSLR system by the body.
dSLR bodies are usually disposed or replaced in short time - the race to better bodies never stops. INSTEAD, look for good lens and invest there. Good lens will follow you for life (at least throughout your photography interest). When you have decided on the lens you want, ONLY THEN choose a body that can use it. As you can see, body is not that important.

michhy said:
dSLR bodies are usually disposed or replaced in short time - the race to better bodies never stops. INSTEAD, look for good lens and invest there. Good lens will follow you for life (at least throughout your photography interest). When you have decided on the lens you want, ONLY THEN choose a body that can use it. As you can see, body is not that important.

Er, huh....?

I don't even have a DSLR body in the first place.

Wouldn't it only be right for me to buy the set first, then the lens? At least I'll have a lens with the package that works well enough.

mysum said:
Another thing...

I want a camera that will come WITH the lens in the package.

For most people, the kit lens is definitely not enough to cover the range.

michhy said:

Good advice. :thumbsup:

I agree fully.

The lenses are more important than the body and also going to need a lot of investment... much more than the cost of 1 body.

Clockunder said:
For most people, the kit lens is definitely not enough to cover the range.

Hmmm..

Depending on the use of the camera, perhaps? Some would like macro lenses for photography small things up close, some like telephoto lens for faraway images, some like wide-angle lens for scenery...

But for now, I think the standard "what you see is what you get" lens is good enough for me ;)

I think you are referring to prime lens ba.. Maybe you can invest in a 50mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4 lens when you get your dslr body..:)

mysum said:
Hmmm..

Depending on the use of the camera, perhaps? Some would like macro lenses for photography small things up close, some like telephoto lens for faraway images, some like wide-angle lens for scenery...

But for now, I think the standard "what you see is what you get" lens is good enough for me ;)

actually...if u got no idea...go to a store tell them your budget and get them to show u a few models... but dun buy on the spot,....go back and read some reviews on the models that u were shown before deciding ...

cheers

mysum said:
Er, huh....?

I don't even have a DSLR body in the first place.

Wouldn't it only be right for me to buy the set first, then the lens? At least I'll have a lens with the package that works well enough.

Yes, you are just starting. I know you havent got a body or lens yet. That is a good thing, because you can choose any system that you like. Now, I suggest you browse online and choose the lens that you like. The kit lens are rubbish most of the time, but if you insist on having the kit lens, then just buy it used - usually dirt cheap. I suggest you start with a standard lens (if you are tight on budget), like the 50mm 1.8 (or 1.4). Once you've decided on the lens, then you can start shopping for a body to use it. I'm sure you'll use the 50mm standard lens for a very very long time, while the camera body being upgraded each year or so. Do you like using 3rd party lens? Do you prefer to use only original lens? What lens do you need? How fast a lens do you want?

get the nikon D50 with the 18-200 VR lens. only $2.2k

Status
Not open for further replies.