DSLR with movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oly5050

Feb 1, 2005
Hi Guys,

Thinking of getting a DSLR that can take movies. I know the Canon has one and so does the Nikon. I wonder which would be preferable.

My criteria are :
1. Durable camera
2. Ease of use of the movie files

Am leaning towards the Nikon camp for this. Any advice or comments appreciated. If I have not given enough information, just ask and I would add on. Thanks.

hi.
i'm guessing cameras will be durable regardless of which model. it depends on how the owner treats it.
ease of use of movies files? you mean capturing into computer?

Last edited:
Transferring into computer HDD and then editing and using it for powerpoint.

Why not get a dedicated video cam otherwise I believe there are a lot of PnS or prosumer cams that can take video too. Wouldn't that be a cheaper option?

I own a D90 and have been having double the fun compared to time when I own D80. Look at this I just use the Windows Movie Maker II to edit the 720p video footage which is in Motion JPEG codec. This format is easier to handle while editing.

PS - To be frank, its not easy to zoom, Manual Focus and trying to keep the camera steady at the same time...its definitely easier to use a delicate video camera to shoot video. However, the fun in shooting with the ability to change different lens is unmatchable once you try it. :)

Hi Guys,

Thinking of getting a DSLR that can take movies. I know the Canon has one and so does the Nikon. I wonder which would be preferable.

My criteria are :
1. Durable camera
2. Ease of use of the movie files

Am leaning towards the Nikon camp for this. Any advice or comments appreciated. If I have not given enough information, just ask and I would add on. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks lastboltnut. The D90 looks good. I like the ease of transfer and editing. Does it record sound too? My only concern is that it uses SD card.

I do not want to carry a dedicated videocam because 95% of the shots are stills. I probably will only use less than 5% to shoot video. It is more of a good to have capability that I would want.

Does Nikon have other DSLRs that shoot video too?

SD card is dirt cheap now, so if you don't have any, its not a problem to start using SD. But there are people who said its not stable. For the past many years from using SD in my PDA till now, SD has not failed me...

There are only 2 DSLR with video recording now, its Nikon D90 and Canon 5D MKII. D90 with mono sound, 5D with stereo sound.:)

Thanks lastboltnut. The D90 looks good. I like the ease of transfer and editing. Does it record sound too? My only concern is that it uses SD card.

I do not want to carry a dedicated videocam because 95% of the shots are stills. I probably will only use less than 5% to shoot video. It is more of a good to have capability that I would want.

Yep, it does record sound (horrible quality though). And no, the D90's the only Nikon DSLR that can do so (at the moment ;))

Big capacity SD cards are so cheap now. Unless you're having CFs that might make you consider twice.

Yep, it does record sound (horrible quality though). And no, the D90's the only Nikon DSLR that can do so (at the moment ;))
Sorry I can't remember, but can you attach an external microphone to the D90? For better sound..

Zooming shouldn't be difficult when filming. At most use prime lens. No need to worry ;)

Try making use of hyperfocal distance when filming, no need to consider your focus. Saves lots of time.

hmm...not sure :p
No external microphone. And whats more the onboard mic is mono sound only. Really dont know what Nikon is thinking...if Canon i understand as they may not want it to directlly compete with their video line but Nikon???

HD video but lower then low grade sound...what are they thinking.

Despite the enthusiasm that some photographers have for video capabilities in DSLR; IMHO, the technology for video on DSLR has not mature yet. Just the manual focusing on video mode in camera makes me think twice. The way to handle a portable videocam versus 2 hands on a DSLR makes me feel "what the heck". I certainty don't wanna look like a "whatever you wanna call it" holding a video like device with that posture versus a videocam approach.

The quality you get off a videocam easily surpass what you get from a DSLR. How many times you call a DSLR a DSLR rather than you call it videocam ?

I apologize for my biased against DSLR with video. In any way that I can see, I don't see it a plus point nor bonus point at all. I personally prefer my videocam is my videocam, my DSLR is my DSLR. I don't select a DSLR so that I can take video with it. I want to look thru the viewfinder and think about composing a photo and not composing a video.

When videocam can take still too, I only regard it as a child's play. So likewise for video in DSLR. Maybe someday we will get really really high quality video cum still in a single device, but meanwhile, it's not there yet.

Big capacity SD cards are so cheap now. Unless you're having CFs that might make you consider twice.

Sorry I can't remember, but can you attach an external microphone to the D90? For better sound..

Zooming shouldn't be difficult when filming. At most use prime lens. No need to worry ;)

Try making use of hyperfocal distance when filming, no need to consider your focus. Saves lots of time.

No you can't attach an external microphone on the D90. You can, however, use an external recorder like the Zoom H2 or H4 and then sync up the audio in post. But I find the mono sound good enough for shooting my son. ;p

Maybe someday we will get really really high quality video cum still in a single device, but meanwhile, it's not there yet.

Maybe the quality of the RED products will still not be up to your really high quality video ( what cinematic masterpieces you intending to shoot anyways ? ).

No one mentioned these video DSLRs replacing the high end HD camcorders, but the way I see it will definitely add convenience for the few of us who do not mind having the convenience to make little clips of our kids and families along the way on an overseas holiday and play on our non IMAX displays.

Ryan

Last edited:
Are you sure? In what aspect? May be trying out is what you need. Just my view too, but I have tried it.:)

The quality you get off a videocam easily surpass what you get from a DSLR. How many times you call a DSLR a DSLR rather than you call it videocam ?

Unless I want the conversation from my son, if not I usually mute the video and add background music. :)

No you can't attach an external microphone on the D90. You can, however, use an external recorder like the Zoom H2 or H4 and then sync up the audio in post. But I find the mono sound good enough for shooting my son. ;p

Most of the discussion in this thread is on the D90, curious... no one use the video function in 5DM2? :think:

I think it can do limited AF, I am not sure about the details. Anyway its CMOS sensor also, so all the CMOS rolling shutter artifacts should be common to both...

If I remember correct.. It can't either.. But I think now.. the Canon 5DM2 have its fair share of negative press for the "black dot" issue... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.