dslr vs prosumer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpace

Jan 15, 2003
Visit site
hi dudes, need some help here
instead of hearing how good the dslr is compared to the prosumer, would like to hear views the other way round.
eg. how a prosumer benefits more comapred to a dslr, apart from price. pic quality and so?
comparing a d60, with a 100-300mm f4.5-5.6
know pic quality cant compare with those l lense, but what abt those entry level lense?
thanks for reading...

prosumer/consumer = lower weight, higher portability! More discrete, allows you to blend into the crowd better. Depth of field is deeper, great for macro work.

These reasons are what made me bring one with me all the time instead of the DSLR.

Originally posted by Tweek
prosumer/consumer = lower weight, higher portability! More discrete, allows you to blend into the crowd better. Depth of field is deeper, great for macro work.

These reasons are what made me bring one with me all the time instead of the DSLR.

hee sure thing is the size. been working with a simple slr, thinkin weather to migrate to dslr with the lenses or go prosumer .
but heard sumhow dslr needs more post processing and if used with a lower grade lense, pics are comparable or lower than that of a good prosumer..

Originally posted by MrSpace
hee sure thing is the size. been working with a simple slr, thinkin weather to migrate to dslr with the lenses or go prosumer .
but heard sumhow dslr needs more post processing and if used with a lower grade lense, pics are comparable or lower than that of a good prosumer..

DSLR needs more processing..
Plus if you shoot raw, each picture could take up a substantial space in ur media card..

Originally posted by djchris
don't have to change lense all the time..

if u get an all round lens and stick it on the DSLR, you also don't have to change lens what.

For prosumer/consumer, it's more of cannot change lens. :complain:

the need for processing should be similar. Yes some DSLRs produce softer images thus need sharpening. But hey, prosumer/consumer images can do with some sharpening too, especially if they are to be printed. Processing exposure and color wise, both have more or less equal requirements. Some consumer/prosumer cameras have got RAW mode too, so processing raw applies for both.

If you find yourself processing more for DSLR shots and little for consumer/prosumer shots, one possibility is that you treasure the shots from the more expensive machine more, thus spending more time fine-tuning it. Pictures from consumer/prosumer, you treat them as point-and-shoot. Sometimes I fall into that mindset.

If DSLR is used with a lower grade lens, quality may be worse off than a prosumer, even a consumer. Noise level will be low, but other problems like CA, aliasing, sharpness etc will surface.

I used to use an 35mm SLR system. Then it died and I was thinking of a replacement.

Bought an all-in-one system because it's compact and even though it's got a fixed lens, it's still pretty flexible. Don't want to keep changing lens on the field. Very troublesome.

And of course, the most attractive feature of prosumer (vs pro DSLR) - The price!

A prosumer allows you to preview images before you shoot but DSLR only let you see the result after u shoot.
One more thing I think I will miss in a DSLR is to shoot at something that requires u to raise up ur camera and you can compose the picture thru the LCD screen before you shoot.

i shot film SLR, then moved to dSLR when the 10D came out. i've never owned a dgicam before.

There are some reasons why i don't have a digicam. (When i say digicam, i mean the generic digicam, not those with very special features.)

i believe my top two reasons are:

1. Digicams use motorized zooming. Even the crappiest zoom lens on a SLR/dSLR can zoom from end to end at twist of a hand. This allows split second framing when action/expressions are happening. Something i cannot live without.

2. Autofocus speed. Again, for the same kind of candid/people pictures that i like to do. This reason alone makes almost all digicams unsuitable for event/wedding photography. With most digicams that ive tried, i cannot even tell (from the LCD) where the focus point is (usually a very big square) and what exactly is in focus. Very uneasy feeling.

It is true that a good digicam/prosumer lens is better than a crap SLR lens. But at 4R print size, i think most lenses (except the very top ones) are about equal. Oh yes - even a cheap SLR lens gets better background blur than the small prosumer lenses. This usually makes a difference even in casual point n shoot portraits.

i wonder if those who came from a similar background (film SLR) care to comment? Specifically, is there anyone who shot extensively with film SLR and actually prefer a digicam to a (film) SLR?

Hey, i'm not shooting down digicams. Just giving the opinion from 'the other side'. i do agree with all the other advantages of a digicam - angled viewing, etc. Especially angled-viewing. Wish'd the 10D had it.

ive dun haf expensive lenses,
onli 1 24-75 and 100-300 usm f4.5-5.6
wonder if i migrate with that lenses, how would the quality be.
actualli was looking at dimage, coz of the mechanical zoom and the capibility to mf. but then again. the af is preety alot slower den that of slr/dslr
lets rule out price factor, coz if i were to get a new dimage its about 1700 and if i were to get a dslr, it would be a 2nd hand one thus the price diff not gonna be much. Was more concerened when i heard abt the issue abt more post processing and also if i were to use an entry level lense, the qualty may be wose of then a prosumer. and also realised that the dimage lense, apature value starts from 2.8 ?
hope to get some advise here from bros..

Prosumers definitely offer better portability. Off-topic, I actually appreciated the portability of a digital P&S camera borrowed from my colleague during a recent business trip. To me, prosumers offer more flexibility and additional attachments tends to be more affordable. In all, for the monies paid for a "DSLR + Lens" combo, we can get a "prosumer + WA + TL + a decent flash + spare battery + a few filters" set, plus some remaining cash.

For DSLRs, the only complaint I have is not able to make more greens to buy better lens !!!! Always in lens not enough situation.

My Rs1 worth ....

howhow still cant decide to make the hop to a prosumer (dimage7hi) or the d60

if u got the dough i'd suggest a DSLR. Larry's selling off his D60. can consider what....dun have to go one BIG round later. get a DSLR instead :devil:

dun haf the dough but tot itd be beter of migrating with my current slr lenses? so that cuts the costs for my lenses.

my advice... buy both!

get a used DSLR for more serious work. probably you can start of with a single lens and buy as you need (much) later.

at the same time, pick up a (used) consumer digicam, which you can bring with u everywhere and anywhere.

there... you have the best of both worlds and a empty pocket

howhow still cant decide to make the hop to a prosumer (dimage7hi) or the d60

A Dimage 7hi is a high end prosumer digicam. It more or less negates the advantages listed above, namely price and portability.

i concur with munfai: get a used digicam OR a dSLR. Not both. Overkill.

hahah if my pocket allows i also want all sorts of cams but hai canot la i onli got one to choose.
and my main concern is actualli the quality of the pics if i were to use my current lense, which is 90-300 f4.5-5.6usm
and the post processing, is it more tedious compared to when i snap with a prosumer

hahah if my pocket allows i also want all sorts of cams but hai canot la i onli got one to choose.
and my main concern is actualli the quality of the pics if i were to use my current lense, which is 90-300 f4.5-5.6usm
and the post processing, is it more tedious compared to when i snap with a prosumer

My Rs1 worth again. In reference to your current position and with minmum dough, I would either suppress my urge in getting anything till I havest sufficient or go for a used Dimage 7Hi as interim. Utimately, it is many's dream/wish to upgrade to a DSLR. If I think I can stretched my dough real thin (taking into consideration of all possible "risks"), I'll aim for a D60.

Frankly, like you and I mentioned in our earlier post, once you own a DSLR, I would assume that you would tend to complain more about the limitation (I am a good example ;p), i.e. possibly on the inability to take wide coverage. Then the itch of buying a 16-35 or 20-35 would set in, hence deeper "damage" to pocket. Nevertheless, the final choice is still yours.

Placing myself in your shoes, I think I would go a used prosumer. For your reference. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.