DSLR vs P&S: post processing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
I recently bought a used Fuji S1 Pro and have been playing with it for 1/2 a year. My first DSLR and very impressed with the picture quality over my old Canon S45 P&S. So impressed that I'm tempted to get a new DSLR, preferably a lighter one.

However, I read on this forum that most DSLRs require post processing in photoshop, with the exception of the Fuji cameras. Is this really true? I have no time and inclination to mess around with my photos in the computer after shooting. Not to mention the sheer cost of buying the photoshop software (>$1000).

I'm especially interested in either the Nikon D50 or Canon 350D for their size and lightness. How is their picture quality straight from the camera without photoshopping? Would it be better than say the S45 or the Fuji S1 Pro? Or should I consider buying the Fuji S2 or S3 Pro instead?

you should stick with photography.

red_ryder said:
I recently bought a used Fuji S1 Pro and have been playing with it for 1/2 a year. My first DSLR and very impressed with the picture quality over my old Canon S45 P&S. So impressed that I'm tempted to get a new DSLR, preferably a lighter one.

However, I read on this forum that most DSLRs require post processing in photoshop, with the exception of the Fuji cameras. Is this really true? I have no time and inclination to mess around with my photos in the computer after shooting. Not to mention the sheer cost of buying the photoshop software (>$1000).

I'm especially interested in either the Nikon D50 or Canon 350D for their size and lightness. How is their picture quality straight from the camera without photoshopping? Would it be better than say the S45 or the Fuji S1 Pro? Or should I consider buying the Fuji S2 or S3 Pro instead?
For D50 test shots with 55-200 - here

If you want to try the D50, keep a lookout, I'm able to loan them for on the spot testing, but need to find a timeslot... :sweat: (I know I say a lot of times liao but haven't do... sorry la.. bz).

I would say the images out from D50/D70S (personal opinion as I've used them before) are usable out of the camera unless you're very particular and meticulous down the last pixel.

With the amount I shoot, the film developing costs would be astronomical. I'm perfectly happy with the output from the Fuji S1 Pro, so if I can get assurance that the D50/D70 or 350D is on par with that then I'm a happy man. My only complaint with the Fuji S1 Pro is the slow recording time (onto the CF card) and the weight.

espn said:
For D50 test shots with 55-200 - here

If you want to try the D50, keep a lookout, I'm able to loan them for on the spot testing, but need to find a timeslot... :sweat: (I know I say a lot of times liao but haven't do... sorry la.. bz).

I would say the images out from D50/D70S (personal opinion as I've used them before) are usable out of the camera unless you're very particular and meticulous down the last pixel.

I'm not too particular about color tone and balance, especially since I'm red-green color blind!

red_ryder said:
I'm not too particular about color tone and balance, especially since I'm red-green color blind!
The shots were taken RAW on the D50.

Sharpening : Normal
Tone : Normal
Other options either off or all at normal.

I pumped up the saturation on Nikon Capture 4.3 about +4~8 (can easily customize via custom curves and/or menu options on the camera).

Then I saved as Excellant quality JPEG using NC 4.3.

red_ryder said:

or maybe try out the new fujifilm compact like f10 to see you like the colours/image output. Definitely better than the canon s45 p&s....

red_ryder said:

For Nikon, you can customize or load a custom curve to make it immitate Fuji colors.

350D can adjust colour tone, contrast, sharpness and saturation in the menu. If you want out of camera quality, these could be your better bets.

red_ryder said:

It very much depends. Postprocessing is not always needed if you applied the right settings. I seldom shoot in RAW as I have been getting pretty good JPGs straight off the camera. But I still go through my pics and do some tweaking so that my clients/intended audience will get the best output from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.