DSLR Videography: Manual Focus (Ring)

toxicboy

Nov 28, 2010
Planet Earth
www.flickr.com
Hi, am trying out videography with my 7D.
So far been shooting in manual focus, and using my left hand to adjust the focus ring of my 50mm lens to keep sight of my video subjects.
It's kinda awkward and uncomfortable.
I read about manual focus rings:
1. How do you exactly install / use one?
2. Do you need to have a full video rig to mount it properly? Or can you just handhold and adjust the manual focus in a more comfortable manner?

it's called follow focus.
i believe you will need at least a video rig with rail support system to mount the camera and the follow focus.

Hi, am trying out videography with my 7D.
So far been shooting in manual focus, and using my left hand to adjust the focus ring of my 50mm lens to keep sight of my video subjects.
It's kinda awkward and uncomfortable.
I read about manual focus rings:
1. How do you exactly install / use one?
2. Do you need to have a full video rig to mount it properly? Or can you just handhold and adjust the manual focus in a more comfortable manner?

Take a look HERE ;)

Usually AF lenses are difficult to focus manually due to the lack of 'feel' and friction when the AF motor is disengaged.
A follow focus system will help, but precision & accuracy still very much depends on the original feel of the lens.

Most of the time, you'll end up 'hunting' with your focus if feel of the lens is not good.
This is the rig I use for focusing, which will make handheld a bit impossible unless you opt for full shoulder support system.

FollowFocus04.jpg

Usually AF lenses are difficult to focus manually due to the lack of 'feel' and friction when the AF motor is disengaged.
A follow focus system will help, but precision & accuracy still very much depends on the original feel of the lens.

Most of the time, you'll end up 'hunting' with your focus if feel of the lens is not good.
This is the rig I use for focusing, which will make handheld a bit impossible unless you opt for full shoulder support system.

FollowFocus04.jpg

Bro, you must be a true video pro, that looks awesome!
Must be costly?
Am just an amateur hoping to do more than home videos... so not sure if all that investment would be justified...