DSLR users - Do you still use filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayphua

Jun 16, 2006
Holland / Bukit Timah
Many use filters for different reasons, some for lens protection, some to provide contrast/saturation effects, and some to suit various lighting conditions.

With today's advanced DSLRs that does just about everything with exposure/color/contrast/tones/effects, and with the added help of softwares like Photoshop, apart from reasons of lens protection, does anyone still use filters or do you find them no longer necessary?

Please provide your thoughts.

rayphua said:
Many use filters for different reasons, some for lens protection, some to provide contrast/saturation effects, and some to suit various lighting conditions.

With today's advanced DSLRs that does just about everything with exposure/color/contrast/tones/effects, and with the added help of softwares like Photoshop, apart from reasons of lens protection, does anyone still use filters or do you find them no longer necessary?

Please provide your thoughts.
Circular polarizer. You can't get effect created by Cir-Polarizer by using photoshop.

Regards,
Arto.

Cp & Uv.

Yes, I still uses UV filter for protection and C-PL for intensifying colour and reduction of reflection. Though PS can do almost anything, Nothing beats getting it right 1st time round.
Save us some time doing PS unless you take great pleasure in working on PS. For me, I rather spend my time out shooting.

tucker said:
has anyone remembered the warm up filters?
AFAIK, you can get the same effect using camera's White Balance. IIRC, in Nikon, fine tune White Balance to negative will warm up the photo.

Or, do post processing to warm up the photos. If you are using Nikon ==> RAW ==> Nikon Capture.

Regards,
Arto.

oh yah got one more... close-up lens... not exactly filters lah, but look similar, screw on the same way :angel:

using uv and cir-p filters too protection and colours!

Use, of course use, why not?

Just like get married, condoms also can carry on using until you're ready for a family, same thing.

Good things can always continue using :)

All with UV for protection and of course the CP.....;)

CP is a must! ND too...for the long exposures!
old sch rules man. don't depend too much on photoshop :(

Artosoft said:
Circular polarizer. You can't get effect created by Cir-Polarizer by using photoshop.

Regards,
Arto.
I would think CP filter is a must nowadays, unless some genius programmer can write a software that can produce the same or better effect than a CP filter.

Im using a CP too. UV filters, are not a must.

anyway pls note the TS's post, "apart from reasons of lens protection, does anyone still use filters", instead posting "NC filter", "UV", etcetc

Status
Not open for further replies.