Sydney
Visit site
Hi DSLR users,

Wondering if you print your photos
1)at shops;
2)yourselves;
3)not at all - store and exhibit digitally

ckiang

For me, if I need one-off ~8R prints, I inkjet them using my Epson printer. For weddings and events and other cases where I need big quantity of 4Rs, I send it off to the labs.

Regards
CK

spider

Feb 2, 2002
Singapore
photos.yahoo.com
Hi all,
for digital print, any different for neighbour labs vs those pro-lab like konata etc ? i know film do have a lot diff after i send the same neg to diff lab, how about digital ?

Kit

Jan 19, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
As with film....... the main(and probably the most important) difference between good labs and neighbourhood labs is consistency.

ckiang

spider said:
Hi all,
for digital print, any different for neighbour labs vs those pro-lab like konata etc ? i know film do have a lot diff after i send the same neg to diff lab, how about digital ?
Yes, there is a difference. Like kit say, consistency is one. Neighbourhood labs may not be consistently good. So if the shots are important to you, then send them off to a good lab. Remember that you've already spent a lot of money in your equipment, and a lot of time and effort and creating your masterpieces, so why stinge on the final output? :)

Of coz, if they are just casual snaps of friends, etc and your main objective is just to give them a copy of the print and they couldn't care less, then the lab doesn't matter.

Regards
CK

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
www.danielbeh.com
i usually send my 4R prints to the lab.
and like what the others said, consistency is the key-word.
my sis tried to send to neighbourhood labs, and for the same set of photos, there can be some which are quite greenish, some ok-ok..
so from then on, she send to e-color at balastier point for printing. and she's usually charged $0.30 per piece for big quantity. Which is very cheap!

clive

Oct 9, 2002
Visit site
if i get digital then i will print my own photos to cut the hassle from the lab

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
for me, i send my batches of prints to the shop around my place - i wont say they're fantastic or the exact opposite - but then again, i have never tried a prolab, and so i can't impose such a judgement. but i must admit that it's a pleasure to pop by the store where the staff will yak and chat with me. main concern for me is the cost-effectiveness and a bit of convenience. i'm not a prophotog, so i can't be toooo bothered to running off to town to send in prints, and collect them on another day from town - i'd be running myself into the ground if i did that!

if a person asked me if i print my own photos or via a lab, i'll say i dont print my shots myself - partly i dont fancy buying a high end printer, and topping off the expenditure lists (aka ink) and high grade paper, and more importantly, "experimental wasted" prints + ink. and not forgetting i haven't ever calibrated my AOC monitor, which would likely be a waste of $$$ and time. the economies of scale works very well for the shop, why should i bother myself with the consumables, when i can selectively print from the almost 30K shots on my hard disk? :)

showtime

May 2, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
i do post production at home. and print at my regular shop. they print straight from my file without any adjustments.

pascalc

Jan 1, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies!

Currently using FM2 and F60. Gonna sell the latter for a F80 in 6mths.

Im thinking of getting a DSLR perhaps next year...

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom