DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

Full Frame or Cropped Sensor

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niccon

Mar 9, 2004
If price between the 2 is about the same (less than S$1k diff) and spec & performance almost same, which will you go for?

Niccon said:
If price between the 2 is about the same (less than S$1k diff) and spec & performance almost same, which will you go for?

Tough choice, but I enjoy tele work and the way the crop factor seems to 'magnify' subjects and make them appear closer. It's a cheap way to get the reach of the expensive 500mm and 600mm lenses.

It depends.... if you are for wide-angle, get full-frame. You can get the wides with no worry that it would not be crop to give you a non-wideangle. If you are for telephoto, get crop sensor. The overall of a crop sensor with a lens will be actually be greater than the stated focal. But if you shoot portraits, lenses like 70-200mm with full-frame is very useful. I love telephoto work so I get the cropped ones.

I like the shallower DOF possible on the FF cam:) In fact it is the main reason why I upgreaded from my S3 IS to D80...

AJ23 said:
I want a FF cam, w/1.5x, 2x, 3x, 4x crop. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
why not? just do a batch post-process crop. :bsmilie:

anyway if im given a choice as to choosing FF or cropped camera (1k diff), i will take the cropped one... since im just a poor student and 1k is ALOT. :cry:

Obviously the FF camera will be at an advantage to the cropped camera - assuming price is the same. For those who think that a cropped camera is beter because of the "tele" effect, the same can be gotten on a FF cam, just crop the centre youself and viola, a tele effect from the FF cam.

AJ's wish for a 1.5x crop 2xcrop etc is much better than using PS to batch crop - first, you get to shoot RAW with a smaller file size (don't have to save the whole FF RAW), ie, more shots per card, second, you dont waste time doing batch. I also second FF with options for crop :)

Hmm, does DOF change from a FF cam to a Cropped cam? It should remain the same isn't it?

lastboltnut said:
I like the shallower DOF possible on the FF cam:) In fact it is the main reason why I upgreaded from my S3 IS to D80...

vince123123 said:
Hmm, does DOF change from a FF cam to a Cropped cam? It should remain the same isn't it?
erm same, but just that with a FF you got more area around the blurred area which makes it looks like the sharp area occupied a smaller amount of space from a picture

vince123123 said:

In an extreme scenario, we can compare small, fixed-lens compacts with a FF DSLR. Photos from compacts demonstrate huge DOF at any aperture because the lens itself is very small...focal length is perhaps 5.4mm to 16.7mm, or something like that. Because the 'crop' factor on the compact cam is probably 6X or more, it will still yield the FOV of a 35-105mm lens.

Compare this to a FF DSLR or film camera when you'll need a 'true' 35-105mm lens. DOF is decreased when focal length is increased. Assuming we stand at the same distance from the subject and get the same subject size, the DOF from a FF will be less.

Maybe it's confusing because I can't explain things well. But to put things shortly, you will probably get better DOF control on a camera with a bigger sensor because you'll need a longer focal length lens to get the same FOV.

Hmm I get your point of view, I was assuming that the exact same lens was used since the original poster said he changed his camera from a cropped one to a FF to get shallower DOF - again based on the assumption that the same lens was used.

fWord said:
In an extreme scenario, we can compare small, fixed-lens compacts with a FF DSLR. Photos from compacts demonstrate huge DOF at any aperture because the lens itself is very small...focal length is perhaps 5.4mm to 16.7mm, or something like that. Because the 'crop' factor on the compact cam is probably 6X or more, it will still yield the FOV of a 35-105mm lens.

Compare this to a FF DSLR or film camera when you'll need a 'true' 35-105mm lens. DOF is decreased when focal length is increased. Assuming we stand at the same distance from the subject and get the same subject size, the DOF from a FF will be less.

Maybe it's confusing because I can't explain things well. But to put things shortly, you will probably get better DOF control on a camera with a bigger sensor because you'll need a longer focal length lens to get the same FOV.

vince123123 said:
Hmm I get your point of view, I was assuming that the exact same lens was used since the original poster said he changed his camera from a cropped one to a FF to get shallower DOF - again based on the assumption that the same lens was used.

den it will be what i said... if the same lens/focal length was used on a FF and cropped.
the FF will basically have the extra pixel at the edge which is actually cropped by a crop sensor camera(normally blurred due to DOF)

lastboltnut said:
Hmmmm total contradiction ya.. If you upgraded to a canon dSLR it'd make more sense...
:bsmilie:

ExplorerZ said:
den it will be what i said... if the same lens/focal length was used on a FF and cropped.
the FF will basically have the extra pixel at the edge which is actually cropped by a crop sensor camera(normally blurred due to DOF)
but why would anyone want to compare the DOF of a cropped sensor 28mm (35mm equivilant) lens against a FF 18mm POV? It only make sense to compare against direct equivilants.

Following the throw of argument, you're comparing DOF of (actual lenses) 18mm vs 28mm, or 50mm vs 75mm, or 100mm vs 150mm.. FF you'll definitely have a shallower DOF.

unseen said:
but why would anyone want to compare the DOF of a cropped sensor 28mm (35mm equivilant) lens against a FF 18mm POV? It only make sense to compare against direct equivilants.

Following the throw of argument, you're comparing DOF of (actual lenses) 18mm vs 28mm, or 50mm vs 75mm, or 100mm vs 150mm.. FF you'll definitely have a shallower DOF.
eh yup, but this was what he was asking

Pinoy_SAP said:
this choice is more to Canon users, Nikonians has no/limited option when it comes to crop & full frame DLSR.

Hopefully Nikon will soon provide a choice of a FF DSLR. With this thorn in Canon's flesh, and the competition amongst all producers, prices will certainly fall. Unfortunately this also means that things advance rapidly. Regardless of what we buy (with the exception perhaps, of the most expensive models), and when, it'll be outdated within months to a year. It's a scary thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.