DSLR users: Do you change your system from time to time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aungzawwin

Feb 16, 2008
the blue planet
Hi,
I'm wondering how many of you have changed your camera system(s) since you've bought your first DSLR or system...I mean:
Camera body
Lenses
Accessories (like flash, tripods..whatsoever related to the photographic equipment)
Brand (e.g.. Nikon to Canon, Canon to SONY etc)

here, it doesn't mean to compare the pro & cons of different brands but I wonder if it was 100% true to advise beginners to start with "entry level" DSLRs..in order not to regret later of those limited(or specced down) versions and spend spend spend later to upgrade.

so..how many of you have changed?:) or you stick to the first brand/first cam you have started with?

I started digital photography in early 2006.

I started with a Nikon D70 and have stuck on with Nikon ever since.

Well, if I could start over again, I honestly won't mind Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus or any other camera. At the entry to mid-range level, most of their offerings are about the same, and I consider myself currently fairly proficient with most brands.

So why did I choose Nikon? Because most of my friends use Nikon. It was probably easier to start off that way. Plus, I can borrow my friends' lenses!

Got a Canon but still using my Nikon as well

Ryan

I started off with Nikon SLRs in the 80s, then switched to Konica-Minolta DSLR, and stuck with it for around 4 years before switching back again to Nikon LOL.

I started digital photography in early 2006.

I started with a Nikon D70 and have stuck on with Nikon ever since.

Well, if I could start over again, I honestly won't mind Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus or any other camera. At the entry to mid-range level, most of their offerings are about the same, and I consider myself currently fairly proficient with most brands.

So why did I choose Nikon? Because most of my friends use Nikon. It was probably easier to start off that way. Plus, I can borrow my friends' lenses!

Same same here..... I choose Canon because most of my friends are Canon user, can borrow/loan stuff to each other.

And like you, if I was to start again..... any of the major Brand would be OK for me too.... :thumbsup:

Started off with Canon during the SLRs only days ... jumped to the darkside when got into DSLR. Dun think I'll jump again too soon ... cos got 3 Nikon bodies. :bsmilie:

Sony, Canon and now Pentax.

really learn a lot this way.

I changed 3 bodies and 7 lenses in just over 2 years:sweat:
I looked back and found a reason: too budget-conscious and spent on low-priced gears which ended up in disappointment and change change change phenomenon :bsmilie:

Hi,
I'm wondering how many of you have changed your camera system(s) since you've bought your first DSLR or system...I mean:
Camera body
Lenses
Accessories (like flash, tripods..whatsoever related to the photographic equipment)
Brand (e.g.. Nikon to Canon, Canon to SONY etc)

here, it doesn't mean to compare the pro & cons of different brands but I wonder if it was 100% true to advise beginners to start with "entry level" DSLRs..in order not to regret later of those limited(or specced down) versions and spend spend spend later to upgrade.

so..how many of you have changed?:) or you stick to the first brand/first cam you have started with?

I change things very often. Be it lenses or camera bodies. Prosumers cam aside. I started off with Nikon. Then Canon. Then Nikon. My move to Sigma was not successful. Now trying to move to film. Note that when i say Nikon, i consider Fujifilm as "Nikon system".

Different users have different wants. Having said that they are beginners, it will be a better idea for them to start simple. Learn the ropes first then consider upgrading. Semi-pro models are not cheap, compared to entry-level cameras (e.g. D60 vs D300). If that beginner thinks he/she has the money and is willing to get a "better" model, by all means. But not many are so fortunate, most have limited budgets. Whether to go straight to semi-pro models is a tough choice for a beginner, but they should be the making the choice. An entry level dSLR should be good enough for one to explore a lot of things in photography.

Until today, I still remember the good times i had with the small and light D60 and travelled with it in Malaysia. Entry level models should be able to satisfy most of the things a "normal consumer" wants. Normal consumer means those that use them for leisure, don't really shoot RAW, no extremely picky about picture quality and performance.

But truely, my best advice for real beginners who knows nuts about everything (aperture is what? should i use big or small? whysome lens F2.8, why some F3.5?) is not to buy a dSLR. A prosumer camera is very good already. Learn from there. Then decide if they really wanna carry on "investing" in dSLRs.

Last edited:
I looked back and found a reason: too budget-conscious and spent on low-priced gears which ended up in disappointment and change change change phenomenon :bsmilie:

3 bodies in 2 years is hardly what I'd call "budget-conscious" really.....

Using my 350D for slightly more than 3 years, 1st DSLR, and still happy with it. :D

I started with Nikon in 2007. I'm still using Nikon.

In SLR terms, my first was an FM2n bought early 2008. Late 2008 saw me getting a D300 because I want my lenses to be used for both film and digital bodies, and most of the lenses I use are manual focus, which is also why I didn't get the D90 (no metering). It's been a pretty short life so far, in the SLR world, film or digital. =)

Previously owned and used a Panasonic FZ20 for about 4 years. Still have it now, but lent to a friend. =) Now I pick it up, it really feels like a toy, or like something significant has been removed or something. Haha! I doubt I will change system, but who's to say? Haha!

Started with nikon, then canon, then canon 2nd body, then nikon 2nd body.
Used about 12 different lenses.
The thing is, all these in just a space of 5 months.. ouchh.. :sweat:
Well, on a bright side, I probably would have spent more if I were to rent all those bodies.
And I get to see and experiment with different brands, bodies and lenses.
I hope I can settle down with my current one now.. :angel:

i started film on a minolta; but went to digital with canon. afterall, canon and nikon are still the biggest digital players even till now.

as everyone already knows, changing entire systems is so costly. that's why its better to just start out with canon or nikon and just stick with it all the way.

i mean no offence to brands like pentax, samsung, panasonic, olympus, sony, but canon and nikon are way ahead in technology. perhaps if you can live with the limitations of the others brands, you could stick with them.

it okay la.

i don't think there is anything wrong with a high lens turnover. that way, you can try many different focal lenghts and lenses.

but body-wise, i agree that its better to get a mid-level dslr.

Using my 350D for slightly more than 3 years, 1st DSLR, and still happy with it. :D

i was happy with my 350d too. but wait until you get used to the XXD series and the rebels will start feeling so sloppy. but they're still great compact travel cameras though.

:DI'm relieved that I'm not alone out there who changed the stuffs quite often.
I want to show this thread to my "cost-controller":bsmilie:

i was happy with my 350d too. but wait until you get used to the XXD series and the rebels will start feeling so sloppy. but they're still great compact travel cameras though.

I agree. I rented a 5D sometime ago and its totally in a different league. The 350D is not a good as the XXD and XD series for sure, but its good enough for me, at least for the moment. :D

I only use what's enough for me. I started off in the early 1990s with a Nikon film pns, then went to a Pentax film pns in mid 90's. Bought a Sony DSC-P8 digital pns in 2003, then went to EOS 500 and EOS 30 in mid 2000. Shortly after bought a 10D, PowerShot A710 IS and S5 IS n only last year a 5D. Now all that's left is my 5D and the Sony DSC-P8.

That's all i can remember. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.