DSLR to reccomend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirowen

Mar 30, 2006
Tampines
www.friendster.com
Hi forumer. I am looking for a DSLR. This is my first time using DSLR, so i am quite lost here. My budget is around < $1700. What i looking for is the image quality(sharpness) and ease of use. I saw some article about Nikon D50. Is it really that good? And also i am interested to sign up photography course in Temasek Poly for the near future, I hope that the DSLR is suitable for it. Currently i am using Panasonic FZ5. So far so good but just that the image wasn't sharp enough and EVF/LCD is just too dark in dark area. Please help.. Thanks. :)

Given that budget, I suppose u can get a Nikon's D70s, Canon's 350D or a 2nd-hand 20D. With a little spare cash left, you may get extra batt, CF card or a dry box. As to which of these 3 recommended dslrs is best, they are all relatively on par performance wise - 20D is the highest end here.

You may want to read up more on www.dpreview.com on the above mentioned dslrs.

Gd luck to your purchase!

cheers,
janz

Go to a camera shop n play with the cameras. Choose the one that fits your hands and eyes best. Feature wise they are comparable.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

prosumer camera like D70s would be suitable if you are just starting out on DSLR.

For me, I would look at the diff system first.... Canon, Nikon, KM etc...

1. which system you want to go into
2. After you know which system, then you look at what they can offer base on your budget... e.g Nikon got the D50 & D70s..
3. After you get the Body, you need the soul (Lens)... then you got to ask youself what you shoot most and move from there....

It is a never ending learning experience + a never ending grass eating exercise for most of us.... :sweat: :sweatsm:

Best thing is to try out the different models and see which you like better. One man's meat may be another's poison....

So testing out the gears and getting a good feel of it is the best. If there are outings, ask nicely to be included and see if you can have some feel of the gear which you may be interested in and then work from there....

Since you talk about photography in dark or night condition, be prepare to shell out at least $200-600 for a good flash.

Contrary to most believe, DLSR alone won't give you good colour and sharp image, you need those more expensive lens to complement the DSLR, otherwise, be prepare to shoot at f/8 most of the time.

Most DSLR system are more or less comparable image qulity, different brand will have different advantages and disadvantages. Better do more internet reading for more info and visit the shop and get a hand feel of them.

hirowen said:
Hi forumer. I am looking for a DSLR. This is my first time using DSLR, so i am quite lost here. My budget is around < $1700. What i looking for is the image quality(sharpness) and ease of use. I saw some article about Nikon D50. Is it really that good? And also i am interested to sign up photography course in Temasek Poly for the near future, I hope that the DSLR is suitable for it. Currently i am using Panasonic FZ5. So far so good but just that the image wasn't sharp enough and EVF/LCD is just too dark in dark area. Please help.. Thanks. :)
Check out the course detail and see what camera they are recommending.

zcf said:
Since you talk about photography in dark or night condition, be prepare to shell out at least $200-600 for a good flash.

Contrary to most believe, DLSR alone won't give you good colour and sharp image, you need those more expensive lens to complement the DSLR, otherwise, be prepare to shoot at f/8 most of the time.

Most DSLR system are more or less comparable image qulity, different brand will have different advantages and disadvantages. Better do more internet reading for more info and visit the shop and get a hand feel of them.

Yes, the better lenses will cost more than an entry level DSLR body. I've seen many people complained about the picture quality from entry level lenses. Total costs of mid-priced lenses to cover from wide to long zoom can easily go above $2,000-$3,000.

Wow. Thanks for all the replies and sorry for late checking. I was in camp doing guard duty yesterday.
Well, after some recommendation from u guys, i will add in D70 into my choice list. Btw, i still some questions to clear up :

- how to know that the flash gun is a good one? look at the distance the light can travel? if i wanted to take small fish in my fish tank, what type of flash gun do i need to buy? how much will it be?

- how to know whether the len is a good one? i saw some lens state that 55mm bla bla bla..what is that refering to? If i like to take a pic of my small fish, do i need to buy a macro lens? how much will it be?

Thanks in advance :)

i think d50 is good enough, save the rest of the $ for a gd lens / flash and you are ready to go.
erm btw fz5 not sharp enough? i tot fz5 was said to oversharpen the pic by dpreview :dunno:

hirowen said:
hi shuee88, what is a prosumer cam? is it also a DSLR ?

Prosumer camera is more of a slightly higher end of consumer camera (which are not DSLR, they can't change lens and has small sensor size usually, except Sony R1 which has quite a big sensor), mainly with more manual setting like apperture, shutter speed piority etc.

Some come with high zoom range like panasonic FZ5, Sony H1, Canon S3 IS with 12x zoom range, or KM A2 or A200 etc.

Need to take note that Samsung 815 however don't come with build in antishake function.

If u're looking for a prosumer instead, get the Canon PowerShot Pro 1. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hirowen said:
Wow. Thanks for all the replies and sorry for late checking. I was in camp doing guard duty yesterday.
Well, after some recommendation from u guys, i will add in D70 into my choice list. Btw, i still some questions to clear up :

- how to know that the flash gun is a good one? look at the distance the light can travel? if i wanted to take small fish in my fish tank, what type of flash gun do i need to buy? how much will it be?

- how to know whether the len is a good one? i saw some lens state that 55mm bla bla bla..what is that refering to? If i like to take a pic of my small fish, do i need to buy a macro lens? how much will it be?

Thanks in advance :)

Taking pictures of fish is an art in itself...

ask those who have tried...

You'd need a good tripod (if the fish dun move that much), else you may have to freeze the action by means of a flash or mebbe 2 fired from different angles (not onboard the camera) to maximise the lighting source as well as prevent flare from the light reflected off the tank.

Macro lenses are good especially when you need to show some small fishes clearly.

55mm means it has a 55mm focal length. Lenses with longer focal length will have a narrower perspective of the object and less depth.

If you intend to get a D70, then you may need to acquire a 60mm micro lens plus SB-800 (master) + SB600 or 800 (slave for a double flash set-up), and not forgetting the tripods.

Get in touch with those who shoot fishes often, they'll be able to guide you better.

Cheers,

zcf said:

Sorry For the OT, but issit really neccessary for a good flash when taking in a low lighting area ? I mean if lets say i wanna snap those slow shutter pics to enhance the light sensitivity in the pic.. wont the flash disrupt the lights ? :dunno:

Another thing, shooting at f/8 gives good colour and sharp image?? :think:

sorry for my noob questions. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.