DSLR to Notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsybitsyspidy

Jul 5, 2004
Is there some cable/bluetooth device out there which when you take a photo from your DSLR, it gets saved directed into your laptop and can be viewed from there?

can be done on a d70, use nikon capture software and a usb cable. i think higher end models have a wireless function. saw it at a club once. he goes around taking pics of the patrons, and it gets beamed to the screen projector via his laptop.

hope it helps u somewhat

incubus said:
can be done on a d70, use nikon capture software and a usb cable. i think higher end models have a wireless function. saw it at a club once. he goes around taking pics of the patrons, and it gets beamed to the screen projector via his laptop.

hope it helps u somewhat

cool. thanks. hope there's some wireless device out there which can be used on my D50.

Most DSLR can work with a cable which is tethered to the laptop.

Nikon's newer mid to high range DSLRs, the D200, D2H, D2Hs and D2x have optional add ons to enable them to send their images wirelessly and directly to any machine with a WiFi connection. The P&S S4 has it built in as well.

I remembered that Canon has something as well but I have rarely heard about it.

oh man that means only the high end dslrs have the wifi capabilities....

itsybitsyspidy said:
Is there some cable/bluetooth device out there which when you take a photo from your DSLR, it gets saved directed into your laptop and can be viewed from there?

erm... hold on. are u (a) interested in doing a direct transfer from cam to laptop for ur pics, without using a card-reader, or (b) teethered shooting - ie, u take a pic on ur DSLR and immediately viewable on ur laptop?

use a card reader

nightwolf75 said:
erm... hold on. are u (a) interested in doing a direct transfer from cam to laptop for ur pics, without using a card-reader, or (b) teethered shooting - ie, u take a pic on ur DSLR and immediately viewable on ur laptop?

erm i'm interested in viewing my pictures on the laptop immediately after i take on my camera. i.e dun have to zoom in onto the lcd screen of camera to see photo, can view directly on the laptop, be it teethered via a cable or wirelessly.

itsybitsyspidy said:
erm i'm interested in viewing my pictures on the laptop immediately after i take on my camera. i.e dun have to zoom in onto the lcd screen of camera to see photo, can view directly on the laptop, be it teethered via a cable or wirelessly.

orh... now i get it. ;p

okie... for canon (IIRC) PnS cameras come with a software on the installation CD dat allows sort-of teethered shooting cum webcam function. think for the high-end cameras (ie 1-series), they have a cable for u to connect straight to ur laptop for such shooting. can't remember if the 1-series cameras come with the same/similar software as the PnS. however, someone mentioned dat C1Pro allows teethered shooting with canon pro-series DSLRs.

for nikon, AFAIK, u have to get the WT-attachments for the D2-series bodies for 'teethered' shooting (ie wireless). u have to get Nikon Capture software to do this kind of shooting, IIRC.

most of the time, this kind of teethered shooting is in the realms of the working pros cos of the setup costs involved. so, if u are a hobbist, just do like wat we do.... view via LCD. :sweat:

nightwolf75 said:
orh... now i get it. ;p

okie... for canon (IIRC) PnS cameras come with a software on the installation CD dat allows sort-of teethered shooting cum webcam function. think for the high-end cameras (ie 1-series), they have a cable for u to connect straight to ur laptop for such shooting. can't remember if the 1-series cameras come with the same/similar software as the PnS. however, someone mentioned dat C1Pro allows teethered shooting with canon pro-series DSLRs.

for nikon, AFAIK, u have to get the WT-attachments for the D2-series bodies for 'teethered' shooting (ie wireless). u have to get Nikon Capture software to do this kind of shooting, IIRC.

most of the time, this kind of teethered shooting is in the realms of the working pros cos of the setup costs involved. so, if u are a hobbist, just do like wat we do.... view via LCD. :sweat:

oh... ah well maybe i shall do what that guy suggested earlier, via card reader. coz i think the lcd can't really show me the sharpness of the photo lei. every time i view on the laptop leow den can see the "not-so-sharpness" of the photo, this annoys me abit as i do not have VR and i tend to handshake abit at times. Thanks anyways.

Hi there

If you are using a Nikon DSLR and have Nikon Capture, it is possible to tether your DSLR to a USB for instant viewing on your laptop or PC.

dios

nightwolf75 said:
orh... now i get it. ;p

Canon provides an EOS Capture and viewer software with all their DSLRs I think. Mine does.

itsybitsyspidy said:
oh man that means only the high end dslrs have the wifi capabilities....
If you use Canon, you can try the WFT-E1 wireless transmitter. Originaly designed for the 1dsmk2, but can be used for 20D with the rigt firmware upgrade.

Last heard, still not available in Singapore becuase the govt had yet to approved the device for sell. Apparently, approval needed because it is a wireless transmitter. Right now, I don't believe Canon is planning on bringing this into the country.

CAn always buy from abroad and bring it in.

Deadpoet said:
If you use Canon, you can try the WFT-E1 wireless transmitter. Originaly designed for the 1dsmk2, but can be used for 20D with the rigt firmware upgrade.

Last heard, still not available in Singapore becuase the govt had yet to approved the device for sell. Apparently, approval needed because it is a wireless transmitter. Right now, I don't believe Canon is planning on bringing this into the country.

CAn always buy from abroad and bring it in.

how come there are such good stuff that the govt ban?!?!? :think:

itsybitsyspidy said:
how come there are such good stuff that the govt ban?!?!? :think:

its becos these wireless transmitters works on the 2.4GHz (ie 802.11b) band, which is (technically speaking) 'owned' by the govt (and dat does for all govts in the world, in case some one jumps up and accuse our govt for being anti-competitive etc....). this is the same band dat our handphones etc... anything WiFi, uses. thus, all wireless transmitters working on this frequency needs to be IDA approved.

remember the big flap over the baby monitors a couple of years ago? it seems like they were interferring with hp signals, which lead to the recall of baby monitors and nowadays, the baby monitors on sale has to be approved. :bsmilie:

jeremyftk said:
Canon provides an EOS Capture and viewer software with all their DSLRs I think. Mine does.

thanks for highlighting it! been a while since i last touched a canon DSLR. i dun remembered by ex-10D having dat software last time. mebbe the newer ones have it now. good! :thumbsup:

jeremyftk said:
Canon Professional Series DSLRs comes with EOS Viewer that allows tethered photography via FireWire.

FujiFilm and Kodak DSLRs too have their own software for tethered photography..

Canon design excellent softwares.:thumbsup:

jeremyftk said:

Yes, and it is free, unlike Nikon Capture

I have used both, but i found that EOS capture is more stable, faster transfer and less problematic

Status
Not open for further replies.