DSLR Selection Canon 500D OR Nikon 5000D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm comparing D5000 and 500D is abit out of the league anot?

Thank to all of you given me such useful information....
I found this forum really good for discussion and exchange experience... let me feel comfortable when reading all your comments and advise.

As vincentry's said, no point get those low quality freebies, ask for discount is better..

I had try the both camera during I was shop in Sim Lim. Both feel ok for me. I think I need to plan a day go down to Funan have a look.
I will do more study and research before invest into DSLR.

If somebody are using D5000 or 500D please share to me oo... Thanks to all.. very appreciate it.

frankly, i won't go for 5000D if i were you for the obvious reasons. If die die need to buy Nikon, get a D90 and above. If Canon, 500D is fine. Sony A550 will wins both of your choice hands down, in body IS, 7 FPS, superb high ISO performance, MF liveview and Tilt LCD screen.

Last edited:
i was in your state 5 months ago but i chose nikon d5000 for preference reasons, here's my take

1. ergonomics - Nikon, personal preference,also family and friends use Nikon

2. image quality: same, canon higher reso but nikon better high iso performance

3. features:same, canon better video specs with 3" screen but nikon makes up with flip lcd (very useful for candid shots and videos)

so really it would boil down to personal preference because both cam very good

as an event photographer, between the two i would pick the D5000. The flip lcd is damn useful to have when the situation warrants it.

I had bought my first DSLR camera.... Canon 500D

Can start to shoot, shoot & shoot .. :bsmilie:

Thank for previous friend advise and suggestions....

:)

Get the 500D, more autofocus points and can shoot video. Also, you can use the cheap 50mm 1.8 on auto focus. For the D5000 you might need to spend more fore motored lens. If you really want a Nikon, go for D90 - maybe get a used body and used lens 178-55 first if your budget is tight.

not trying to start anything here, but canon is made in japan and nikon is made in thailand. canon is able to mount both ef and efs lens. d5000 can only mount af-s lens for autofocus. other mounts, only mf.

just stating what i know. correct me i am wrong.

for the record, the author will be a first time dslr user so there's no point of presenting about AD-S on Nikon and EF or EFS on Canon.....

i agree to some here that you have to feel the camera first and decide which you are comfortable....

im a first time DSLR user too, i just bought my Nikon D5000 2 weeks ago....and im very satisfied with it....im not worried if it can only mount AF-S lenses for autofocus....for im not an "old lens" collector....furthermore, i dont have qualms for their use....

i personally choose over the nikon than the canon because i find my hands comfortable with the D5000's body....particularly of the shutter button area....i tried the canon but my hand fingers could hardly find its shutter button....its very light too....the other canon i tested was so heavy...i might break my neck carrying them everytime i photoshoot...

last sunday i took it for a test in a semi cloudy-sunny day at chinese gardens....heres the photo quality of the Nikon D5000 (resized by Microsoft PM)

Night_shots_at_vivo_city_010.jpg

here's another one at another scene...

Night_shots_at_vivo_city_016.jpg

please bear in mind that these are not the actual sizes of the photos....i need to resize them for regulation size limits by CS....

Hi prehistorik,

Nice shot!.. You live near by Chinese garden? I live near by there also...
Find sometime we learn togather... :D

thanks for appreciating it! no i dont live nearby there...i live in bukit panjang....just went there to photoshoot and test my D5000 under the sun....im happy for you that you finally decide on getting your first DSLR. it doesnt matter whether its Canon or Nikon....camera doesnt make a great photo....its YOU who will make it great....

sure, why not....yes we can gather together and learn and share with one another....hopefully i would be free....

thanks for appreciating it! no i dont live nearby there...i live in bukit panjang....just went there to photoshoot and test my D5000 under the sun....im happy for you that you finally decide on getting your first DSLR. it doesnt matter whether its Canon or Nikon....camera doesnt make a great photo....its YOU who will make it great....

sure, why not....yes we can gather together and learn and share with one another....hopefully i would be free....

Yes, agree what you said.. canon or nikon or other brand is not important..the important is our skill how to use it in the right time and right shoot......... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.