DSLR Selection Canon 500D OR Nikon 5000D

Status
Not open for further replies.

lccwinson

Nov 5, 2009
Malaysia
Hi I'm new here.. Wish to buy a new DSLR. I still study and doing research.

One of the shop from SIM LIM quote me as below. Hope can get some advise from here. :)

Nikon D5000 with standard len (18mm-55mm)
Price: $1134 (Inc GST)
Free Gift: Sd8gb + case + tripod
Warranty: 1 year Nikon singapore

Canon EOS 500D with standard len (18mm-55mm)
Price: $1230 (Inc GST)
Free Gift: Sd8gb + case
Warranty: 15month canon singapore

From your experience, which one I should go for? Both camera I had try on my hand. Both OK for me.
Anybody from here can give me better price than above? Please private msg me.
Thanks

not trying to start anything here, but canon is made in japan and nikon is made in thailand. canon is able to mount both ef and efs lens. d5000 can only mount af-s lens for autofocus. other mounts, only mf.

just stating what i know. correct me i am wrong.

not trying to start anything here, but canon is made in japan and nikon is made in thailand. canon is able to mount both ef and efs lens. d5000 can only mount af-s lens for autofocus. other mounts, only mf.

Yes, I know Canon is made from Japan. You using 500D? Yes you remind me the ef & efs len for D5000. mmm ....
The above price I mention it is ok? How you find your 500D? Appreciate you can share your experience... thank a lot .. :):)

Last edited:

so wat if nikon is made in thailand? so wat???

so wat if nikon is made in thailand? so wat???

bro, relax la. just telling ts where its made from should he wanna know. as i already stated, not trying to start anything!

Yes, I know Canon is made from Japan. You using 500D? Yes you remind me the ef & efs len for D5000. mmm ....
The above price I mention it is ok? How you find your 500D? Appreciate you can share your experience... thank a lot .. :):)

well i think u could get more freebies for this price. not sure abt that.

not trying to start anything here, but canon is made in japan and nikon is made in thailand.

Ths comment is quite useless in a global economy. The missing AF motor has a greater impact, imho.

TS: you can compare the offering with other offerings listed in the Price Guide section. Do be careful with shops in Sim Lim, have a look at shops which are listed as 'reputable shops'. The majority of shops in SLS are not a safe ground for beginners, chances are good that finally don't get a good deal. Just search the forum here for encounters of other members.
Tripod as free gift? Which shop could afford to give a way a good tripod for free? Don't get blinded, do read up the sticky threads about tripod selection. Focus on one thing at a time. get the camera now and all other stuffs later.
Both cameras are capable of delivering good pictures. Technical reviews are all over the net, have a look at www.dpreview.com.

tankaiming said:

you DID start something.

Do provide some statistics on things like:
-breakdown frequency
-user satisfaction

amongst a representative user base of Nikon and Canon users, before you spout comments like Canon is made in Japan and Nikon is made in Thailand.
You are trying to imply something...

You are correct about the mounts, but your comments are slightly misleading.
Canon can mount EF and EF-S lens, but it can't mount FD lenses.
Nikon's D5000 can mount pretty much all the F-mount lenses in a rather long history. You are right though that auto-focus only works with AF-S lenses.

you DID start something.

Do provide some statistics on things like:
-breakdown frequency
-user satisfaction

amongst a representative user base of Nikon and Canon users, before you spout comments like Canon is made in Japan and Nikon is made in Thailand.
You are trying to imply something...

You are correct about the mounts, but your comments are slightly misleading.
Canon can mount EF and EF-S lens, but it can't mount FD lenses.
Nikon's D5000 can mount pretty much all the F-mount lenses in a rather long history. You are right though that auto-focus only works with AF-S lenses.

thanks for correcting! and i didnt mean to mislead haha. :confused: but er. whats FD lens??

i think for the beginner,he never think so far about the lenes that are EF,EF-S,AF-S or even FD lens, wat he wants is to get a better view in between tis 2 cameras.

I had personally tried both 500D and D5000, my personal opinion...

I prefer the grip, appearance and image contrast of D5000. As for 500D, my first impression was it looks plasticky and doesn't justify the pricing of a DSLR (purely by appearance only, of course this is personal opinion), contrast was not as sharp as D5000 but the movie mode was impressive. 500D is also smaller and slightly lighter.

Think forumers can give all the opnions that they want but ultimately, TS yourself has to go down and try out both cameras. I think what some of the bros have mentioned is very true, no point getting freebies like tripod and bags if they are not good or to your liking, ask for more discount instead.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

I had personally tried both 500D and D5000, my personal opinion...

I prefer the grip, appearance and image contrast of D5000. As for 500D, my first impression was it looks plasticky and doesn't justify the pricing of a DSLR (purely by appearance only, of course this is personal opinion), contrast was not as sharp as D5000 but the movie mode was impressive. 500D is also smaller and slightly lighter.

Think forumers can give all the opnions that they want but ultimately, TS yourself has to go down and try out both cameras. I think what some of the bros have mentioned is very true, no point getting freebies like tripod and bags if they are not good or to your liking, ask for more discount instead.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

+1. features-wise i think both RATHER SIMILAR, imho. except for the video mode and mp. but then again, pixels are another story.

for me, i decided that the hd vid for the 500d was the extra incentive. its like, 2 gadgets for the price of 1. yeah, i know the video doesnt replace a dedicated camcorder but oh well. how many of us actually carry BOTH around at certain events e.g birthday parties and such.

weight wise, 500d is a tad lighter and smaller(?).

i think nikon's body has better built. but canon is overall cheaper..in terms of lenses too..
best is to go to a shop to try both. places like courts, best, HN allows u to try.

hmm for a similar price point i have to say the 500D would be my choice even though im a nikon user.. but read some guides and find out what features each offer THAT YOU NEED, then make the decision. often there will be loads and loads of useless features which you maybe try once then forget about..

also impt is to try both like nysheng's said... see which one fits your grip better. to me, the d5k is a tad small, but overall i personally find nikon ergonomics more suited to my hand. hope this helps :)

off topic abit.. which shop is this pricing from?

i still happy with my 500D.. with batt grip
I even compared the videotaken with S Camcorder.. solid.. except that it is prefer to use manual focus..

I have not try 5000D but did a try with D90 .

Most important , try both their 's grip... u shld be comfy... ;)

I suggest you go to Funan if you decide to buy. Shops like John 3:16, SLR Revolution, Cathay Photo, Alan Photo. They might quote you more or less over in these shops.

I advise you not to buy your DSLR at SL Sq. Yes, no doubt it's cheap but do be careful of export set.

Hope this help.

at these pricing go for Sony A550. Specs wise needless to say, wins hands down :) you are paying D90 quality standard at 5000D pricing.

Last edited:
To TS:

Both cameras are very similar in functionality.

Maybe a factor to consider is whether your friends are using nikon or canon? Stick to the brand that your friends are using, so that you can swop lenses with them, or if you encounter any technical problem they can help you.

Also, a small point is that D5000 has slightly better high iso performance than 500D, but just very slight. If you want the resolution, then it's the 500D.

Status
Not open for further replies.