DSLR Remote Android App

elfenstar

Aug 18, 2013
Singapore
Hey guys, I was looking for buying both an ir (holiday selfies) and cable remote (photos for work) for my Pentax K30 when I thought, "hey my gs4 has an ir remote doesn't it". I then went to the Google playstore and searched. Ended up finding this app called DSLR Remote. It's free and works perfect via IR. I'll be buying a 3.5mm to 2.5mm jack to see if it works via cable as well as testing it out with my fiancees HTC One and update this thread after.

If you dont mind paying and use a Canon, I also came across DSLR Controller (Beta). It's $10 and has far more advanced functionality. Hopefully they'll get Nikon and Pentax functionality in the long run.

I'm sorry I can't post links yet as I'm too new with too little posts. I've bolded the app names so you guys can just copy and paste the exact app names into Google Play though.

Update. Ha! The 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable works. On my pentax it required a bit of fiddling around with the app settings, and if I pre-focus I need to put the camera on manual focus or it will autofocus again. Does the job well enough though :thumbsup:
Would strongly recommend it to anyone on android and needs a remote, esp for travel or in a pinch when their dedicated remote is out of battery.

Almost forgot, This app should work with most Android phones. Models with IR just have the extra function of being an IR remote.

If anyone else has used this on a Canon or Nikon, please let us know how it works.

Last edited:
ultimately, i don't like to waste my phone's batteries on becoming a dedicated remote shutter device.

i'd rather not be so cheap as not to order one online, or hunt for a shop that sells it...

and besides, you can get it for as cheap as <$30

If your camera works with 2.5/3.5mm stereo jack for remote shutter then you get built your own shutter release DIY, costs are less than $10 or even zero if you have the components at home.
For my 50D I'm still searching for this weird jack they are using ..

ultimately, i don't like to waste my phone's batteries on becoming a dedicated remote shutter device.

i'd rather not be so cheap as not to order one online, or hunt for a shop that sells it...

and besides, you can get it for as cheap as <$30

Its not much cheaper for me. About $8 for the cords vs $14 for the dedicated wired shutter release. I already ordered the original Pentax one though. I don't know if I'll be carrying the latter much. Using this and Octarines DIY pretty much are more in my character LOL

Took quite a few group shots with the IR on Sunday. Won't be getting a dedicated one for this. The app is more than sufficient, and realistically, I usually ask someone to help me take a shot, and the IR remote is more for those rare situations when nobody else is around.

If your camera works with 2.5/3.5mm stereo jack for remote shutter then you get built your own shutter release DIY, costs are less than $10 or even zero if you have the components at home.
For my 50D I'm still searching for this weird jack they are using ..

DIY? Didn't know that. I'll google for it. I love stuff like that. Let me see if I still have me 2.5mm Nokia earphones from years ago still lying around somewhere. Thanks!

For the cannon I think it can't be helped. They do allow for far more than just focus, zoom, and shutter release from that jack don't they?

DIY? Didn't know that. I'll google for it. I love stuff like that. Let me see if I still have me 2.5mm Nokia earphones from years ago still lying around somewhere. Thanks!
For the cannon I think it can't be helped. They do allow for far more than just focus, zoom, and shutter release from that jack don't they?
feed Google with 'Canon DIY shutter release' and you got everything what you need.
Here one example: http://digital-photography-school.c...iy-canon-hack-shutter-release-canon-dslr.html
Instead of buying any box for the switches I have used an old computer mouse. It has two dip switches already with perfect fit. The mouse ball had to pack up for another switch to have bulb exposure. Can be found in Sim Lim tower, together with the stereo jack.
If anybody comes across the so-called T3 jack for Canon please let me know :)

feed Google with 'Canon DIY shutter release' and you got everything what you need.
Here one example: digital-photography-school.com/forum/tutorials/83526-diy-canon-hack-shutter-release-canon-dslr.html
Instead of buying any box for the switches I have used an old computer mouse. It has two dip switches already with perfect fit. The mouse ball had to pack up for another switch to have bulb exposure. Can be found in Sim Lim tower, together with the stereo jack.
If anybody comes across the so-called T3 jack for Canon please let me know :)

Been trying to find the T3 jack. Can't find it on it's own. Sorry. You could DIY making one, but it'll cost more than buying a cheap aftermarket remote.