DSLR recommendations?

ssxdots

Sep 1, 2010
Hi I am a casual user and I intend to get my first DSLR or EVF.

I have no preference over APS-C or micro 4/3 and intend to upgrade from PnS since I cannot achieve the effects I want. I will like to create bokeh and wide angle shots.

Currently I am looking at Canon EOS 500D. It seems to be a bang-for-bucks entry level camera. Are there other budget cameras I can consider? Lenses wise, I am looking at an f/2.8 for shallow depth of field and I would like to hear some wide-angle lenses recommendations too.

Sorry for the noob questions. I would like to start out photography on a minimal budget first. Any advice will be appreciated. :)

EDIT: I just found this topic, I will read up on it later. thanks. :)

Last edited:
pentax k-x?

I have no preference over APS-C or micro 4/3 and intend to upgrade from PnS since I cannot achieve the effects I want. I will like to create bokeh and wide angle shots.

Currently I am looking at Canon EOS 500D. It seems to be a bang-for-bucks entry level camera. Are there other budget cameras I can consider? Lenses wise, I am looking at an f/2.8 for shallow depth of field and I would like to hear some wide-angle lenses recommendations too.

Sorry for the noob questions. I would like to start out photography on a minimal budget first. Any advice will be appreciated. :)

Some people start photography with a $1000 budget while others start with a $2000 budget.So which group do you belong to?Anyway,here's a compilation of the latest entry-level DSLRs:

Canon EOS 1000D/450D/500D/550D
Nikon D3000/3100/5000
Sony A230/290/330/380/390
Pentax K-x
Olympus E450

Go and do some basic research on these cameras and select those that suit your needs and budget:)

And one last thing,please do not get DSLRs from IT/PC show/Comex/Sitex...

you can go to dpreview to find out more on the cams...

dslr might be quite bulky, if you are going traveling then it's gona be a lil troublesome... m4/3 might be suitable for you instead!

you can go to dpreview to find out more on the cams...

dslr might be quite bulky, if you are going traveling then it's gona be a lil troublesome... m4/3 might be suitable for you instead!

TS wants to create bokeh. DSLR can't do that if you didn't buy the "correct" lens leh. Then how? :cool:

Will check out pentax ;)

Budget should be about 2k? It's flexible as long as I have enough for a entry level body and one f/2.8 lens and one wide angle lens. Of course, the less the better. :cool:

If I don't buy from IT fairs, then I suppose I should reference to this list here?

Will it not be cheaper with the inclusion of tripods and memory sticks in the package? Sorry I am really new to this. :embrass:

Will check out pentax ;)

Budget should be about 2k? It's flexible as long as I have enough for a entry level body and one f/2.8 lens and one wide angle lens. Of course, the less the better. :cool:

If I don't buy from IT fairs, then I suppose I should reference to this list here?

Will it not be cheaper with the inclusion of tripods and memory sticks in the package? Sorry I am really new to this. :embrass:

Just in case you don't know,Pentax K-x does not come with any freebies(Its so cheap alr,what else you want) and they do not sell at these IT shows.I recommend you get a K-x and a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8.At 17mm,it should be wide enough for landscapes...

As for tripods,there are 80123508357 threads on this topic so i recommend you do a search:)

I just checked through. A 12 to 24mm UWA lens should satisfy my lust. :D

It's cheaper in japan right? Will be heading to Akihabara on my first day to shop.

Thanks cleonbus for the recommendations. I am looking through the list ATM

@evilorgi: I would like a smaller camera such as NEX or Lumix G2 for portability but how much more will it cost? It's not a must though.

With your budget of 2K, you can afford a newer model like the A550 or 550D. They are unlikely to leave you much for a fast f2.8mm lens, other accessories and dry cabinet though. Maybe you can still get a Tamron 17-50/2.8 at about $600+

On the cheaper side, the Kx is the best performer. High ISO capability equal/better than the above 2 cameras mentioned above. ~$790 with 18-55mm kit lens. Get the Tamron mentioned above if you need a faster lens at a budget.

if you are willing to wait, the next generation of camera is pretty interesting especially the Sony A33.

Will check out pentax ;)

Hey, f/2.8 lens alone won't be able to create Bokeh easily and nicely. You need to look for those lens with focal length at least 50mm. A good recommendation is the Nikon 85mm f1.8 or cheaper version Nikon 50mm f1.8.

I would recommend either Canon 550D or Canon 60D, with preferrence towards 60D.
60D is no longer considered as semi-pro, in my opinion. It is more of a serious amateur range. And from the RRP list in some online website, i reckon that the eventual street price will be within your budget still.
Cheers. :)

Its out already...
exactly...if i was going to get a dslr at a show, would be end of year SITEX as chances that would be when they will clear the older models and when the new models would have arrived. Plus would have time to check out user reviews , comparisons and so on.

Sony A33/A55 ... :thumbsup:

Nikon D3000/D3100/90 + 18-55 + 35mm f1.8
Canon 550D + 18-55 + 50 f1.8
Sony and Pentax not so sure. 18-55 + 35/50 1.8 can be replaced by Tamron 17-50 also, up to you :)

spending on a dslr wont' give you the effects you want straight away...

and 2.8 lens aren't exactly the price of a kit lens type.. so you wanna keep ur budget in check you need to do more research on what you want, do you need it..

be careful about throwing $2k away...

pentak k-x, olympus 3-620, sony slt-a33, and if u can wait a bit, sony slt-a55