DSLR Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

doink24

Aug 14, 2003
Bt Batok
Hi as above wanting to get a new DSLR...since the sony a-100 is out, i am now decidng btn this or the canon d350...hard to make a choice lei...any guys can recommend?? thankss

to be perfectly honest, theres been quite a few threads by people asking the same or similar question.

i would suggest you try and search. then read up on what people have said. its much easier to answer specific questions, than these kind of broad "which one shall i get" ones because there is no such thing as the "best" DSLR. all are good, in different respects.

350D:thumbsup:
noise,image, price all very good
alpha-100, noiser(sound & image),more exp....

so MTL 350D best buy at the moment

Buying a DSLR is not like buying a compact camera - You're buying into a system. So decide carefully.

Main jist of it is what you want to capture in the end.

Each system has its pros / cons for their lineup of lenses.

Photokina is round the corner - if you can wait - wait.

doink24 said:
Hi as above wanting to get a new DSLR...since the sony a-100 is out, i am now decidng btn this or the canon d350...hard to make a choice lei...any guys can recommend?? thankss

Forget the A100 - utter disappointment (Actually I knew it sucked before I touched it :bsmilie:)

Wait for the new upcoming Nikon.

Klose said:
Forget the A100 - utter disappointment (Actually I knew it sucked before I touched it :bsmilie:)

Wait for the new upcoming Nikon.
how long did u handle the alpha-100 before u came to this conclusion?
or which deity gave u the hint?

some shots taken from the rdshow yesterday using alpha-100
195490689_3df5bd6a49_o.jpg

DSC07878c.jpg

DSC07879c.jpg

DSC07885c.jpg

DSC07900c.jpg

DSC07863c.jpg

DSC07874c.jpg

DSC07873c.jpg

DSC07857c.jpg

i would go for canon. i have used for a short while the 350D and also the 20D. both are great cameras.

most importantly like said above, buying a DSLR is like buying into the system. u got to see the overall stuff like the accessories and lens to decide too.

canon got more 2nd hand stuff on sale. like nikon also. cos more pple using. hence if u see urself to be a big buyer of 2nd hand stuff, then i would say canon or nikon definately

zcwnfx said:
i would go for canon. i have used for a short while the 350D and also the 20D. both are great cameras.

most importantly like said above, buying a DSLR is like buying into the system. u got to see the overall stuff like the accessories and lens to decide too.
canon got more 2nd hand stuff on sale. like nikon also. cos more pple using. hence if u see urself to be a big buyer of 2nd hand stuff, then i would say canon or nikon definately
Well said. Canon has been in SLR world business for many decades. It's proven to be good and you cant go wrong if u go for it, as it has more spares and parts, second hand and MO for u to play and test. People like Oracle (bro joe) will help u to save for canon quality L lens and accessories thru MO.
Unless, u would like to take the risk and be the pioneer :bsmilie: .

Or wait for the new Nikon DSLR to be launched on our National Day (check your goodies bag upon entering the N. Stadium... see if you are lucky ;) )

wait for the upcoming nikon d80 or d88..

but dat wld be more expensive ryte???

I will recommend Nikon and Canon

1) Both company focus on this area (Camera)
2) Both company lens are sharp and good
3) You still can sell without so much of trouble
4) Can easily find the mount

I'm agree with them .. you actually buying the system rather than the model they release
Truly they are world no 1 and 2
but talking about the price,
i think 350D is very cheap in the market right now ... so do consider buying that can slowly
upgrade yr DSLR

The a-100 actually churns out nice pics. 10mp some more. Tried it and with the D-range optimizer, u can take the pic and print it straight away. Also, anti dust is useful if travelling overseas to dusty areas. So it is really unfair to say it is inferior to other makes. The CZ lenses lineup is another draw.

1 gd point about getting minolta/sony 2hand stuff is it way cheaper than you can find in ebay as compared canon/nikon counterpart. but that would also mean if you buy new and sell it, you will be losing $

wait a few days more for the new nikon model but if cannot tahan alreadygo to the nearest camerashop/s and test out all their DSLRs and let the Best Feel Wins. <--- That my advice only hehe :D

Just try out the few models which u r interested in and get the one u think u like the most.. One man's food may be another man's poison.. Different ppl views can be subjective, you will be the one using the camera, so get the one u like most.. I believe all the brands have their own strengths and reputations.. U wouldn't really go wrong with any of them.. Its u who will make the pictures happen, so u r the most important.. Anyway dun worry too much about resales value too much, utilize ur camera to the max..:)

actually, its pretty pointless just looking at pictures taken by a camera to see if good or not, unless they are being compared to pictures taken by other cameras.

a picture taken by a prosumer, or even a good P&S, can also look good and sharp.

in any event, a picture taken by a A100, compaerd to a canon or nikon, will generally be int he same ballpark, assuming reasonably parity of lenses, and assuming the ISO is generally within their optimal range.

certaint at 4R or 5r or even 6R, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference without pixel peeping.

teh same can be said of olympus, orp entax or samsung.

its the functions, functionalities, lens range etc etc, that should be just as determinant, if not more so, than just picture quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.