DSLR recommendations?

George Tee

May 4, 2014
Hi guys, I would like to get your advice on what DSLR to purchase for newbie DSLR users.

We are thinking of getting DSLR for travel and considering between canon 700D, nikkon 5300 and Panasonic GH3.

We went to mscolor to look around and the guy was very friendly, recommending us that if we have the budget, panasonic gh3 is a good choice because we don't need to keep on changing lens. Their initial kit would be sufficient to take a wide variety of photos. It also has quick response time compared to the other 2. But of course the price is twice as much as the other 2.

Would like to get your advice on if this is true, and also should we get nikkon 5300 instead?

Thanks!

Firstly, welcome to ClubSnap :)

For travel, preferably you'd want a light setup. Have you considered offerings from micro 4/3 system? :)

The GH4 has just been released. So just curious that GH3 would still be twice that of 700D or D5300.

GH series of cameras are all superb for movie making. They are well worth their price. The problem is, if you are not into film-making or professional level movies, you will be much better off getting either the Canon or Nikon.

Why don't you look into other cameras like the Olympus EM-5 or Fuji XE-2. Those cameras will make much more sense for you.

There many options. If I were to restart my collection, I will also look at Pentax camera.
As mentioned above, if main purpose is travel, may consider lighter mirrorless cam instead. Save weight & space.

Hi guys, I would like to get your advice on what DSLR to purchase for newbie DSLR users.

We are thinking of getting DSLR for travel and considering between canon 700D, nikkon 5300 and Panasonic GH3.

We went to mscolor to look around and the guy was very friendly, recommending us that if we have the budget, panasonic gh3 is a good choice because we don't need to keep on changing lens. Their initial kit would be sufficient to take a wide variety of photos. It also has quick response time compared to the other 2. But of course the price is twice as much as the other 2.

Would like to get your advice on if this is true, and also should we get nikkon 5300 instead?

Thanks!

I don't know about you, but for me, I always take my mirrorless camera for travels (EPL1, EPM1 or OMD EM5) this is because I find these cameras much smaller and lighter as compared to my DSLR (40D and 7D)... and m4/3 lenses are also much smaller and lighter as compared to my DSLR lenses (I can fit three to four lenses into a relatively small package).

As for which camera to choose, I have always liked the handling of Olympus and had been using their mirrorless for quite sometime now. I find their IQ very similar and in some cases surpasses my Canon, and the color reproduction is great. AF speed on my EM5 is very very fast and it had weather sealing that can come in handy. You should be able to get quite a good price for the EM5 with 12-50mm kit lenses nowadays.

Last edited:

Thanks!

So how much is ur budget exactly? The GH3 is optimised for video, and you may not be getting your money's worth if u don't exactly do video.

700D and D5300 are decent entry DSLRs. But they may still appear too heavy and bulky for most holiday travellers.

I would definitely recommend mirrorless systems like the fuji X-series, sony E-mount, and the panasonic/Olympus m43 series (GH3 is m43 btw).

Fuji has great jpegs colours, but their lenses (and bodies) aren't really cheap, AF isn't as good, the controls aren't as intuitive for the beginner, and it weighs more than it looks.

Sony mirrorless like the new a6000 is a solid performer, lightweight, fast AF, and easy to use, not to mention the price is good. Some ppl would find the kit lens inadequate, but it's as good(and as bad) as DSLR kit lenses, with the added bonus it being compact. There's a few inexpensive primes from sony and sigma to choose from.

M43 cameras like Panasonic gf series or gx7 and Olympus ep and epl series are also decent. They have smaller sensors so they tend to perform not as good as sony and fuji at high iso, but they generally have smaller bodies and smaller lenses and faster AF. The kit lens is as good as the rest and some of the older models are rather inexpensive as compared to their current flagships.

I personally won't recommend the samsung NX series, but u may google to find out more.

700D and D5300 are decent entry DSLRs. But they may still appear too heavy and bulky for most holiday travellers.

And here I am traveling with my large camera bodies and heavy lenses. I feel stupid now.

Now my DSLR(s) are only use for assignment related photoshoot.

For normal outing, gathering, travelling etc. It just the much smaller mirrorless camera. Currently is eos-m with 18-55 kit lens only. Used to own the older olympus pen camera, and I do like the IQ and control too.
Sometime just use my still workable canon powershot S90 or Samsung S2 camera phone which I don't have to bring extra bag.

Now when see some people bring big DSLR walking around in shopping mall with friends, can't help but thinking dun they feel it bulky walking around with it? And used to do it too when I got my 1st DSLR many years back where mirrorless isn't widely available yet.

And here I am traveling with my large camera bodies and heavy lenses. I feel stupid now.

Haha daredevil123, I'm pretty sure you are not alone. There're so many of us (I guess) who still like to carry heavy DSLR around. :)

Now my DSLR(s) are only use for assignment related photoshoot.

For normal outing, gathering, travelling etc. It just the much smaller mirrorless camera. Currently is eos-m with 18-55 kit lens only. Used to own the older olympus pen camera, and I do like the IQ and control too.
Sometime just use my still workable canon powershot S90 or Samsung S2 camera phone which I don't have to bring extra bag.

Now when see some people bring big DSLR walking around in shopping mall with friends, can't help but thinking dun they feel it bulky walking around with it? And used to do it too when I got my 1st DSLR many years back where mirrorless isn't widely available yet.

Heavy means sturdy :p

To each his own. I didn't say it's stupid to carry around DSLRs for holidays. But why some people use mirrorless over DSLRs? A smaller form factor and lighter weight is definitely a factor that they considered.

To each his own. I didn't say it's stupid to carry around DSLRs for holidays. But why some people use mirrorless over DSLRs? A smaller form factor and lighter weight is definitely a factor that they considered.

+ one. Yes I am one of those who would definitely go for something lighter when I am travelling... Most of the time, I even forgo my travel tripod and monopod.

Don't forget those who bring big DSLRs for the sake of ego :dunno: Not that I'm against it, to each his own too