DSLR Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

horizon909

Oct 10, 2005
Hi,

I intend to get a DSLR with (if possible) a wide lense and zoom lense. My budget is 3k. I've read quite a bit of the posts here and I was thinking of the Nikon D80. However after going to dpreview to see other models, I am now inclined to get the Canon 40D but will that be possible with the budget given? Or would there be other alternatives worth considering? Thank you in advance.

3K is a great budget. I'd also look at the Sony A700 and the new Pentax cameras.

without hesitation, Nikon. =D Since it's a start D80 would be a good choice, but if you wldn't mind spending more why not get D300. ha. if not D200 since prices are dropping now. =D

Hi horizon909

My suggestion is to do abit of research on the bodies that you are interested in and try to visit the shops and request to try out the cameras. When i was buying mine, i tried several bodies such as the canon, nikon, sony and olympus before the personal feel of handling the camera clinched the decision.

Unless you have some special requirements for ur shooting, all the brands should have their camera lineups and lenses to meet ur demands.

Do factor in the subsequent purchases such as dry boxes, filters and stuffs in future. For now 3k shld be able to get u a body kit easily.

Ryan

Hi,

I intend to get a DSLR with (if possible) a wide lense and zoom lense. My budget is 3k. I've read quite a bit of the posts here and I was thinking of the Nikon D80. However after going to dpreview to see other models, I am now inclined to get the Canon 40D but will that be possible with the budget given? Or would there be other alternatives worth considering? Thank you in advance.

So i guess you've fixed your choice on these 2 camera models? If so, here goes...

Hmm, if i am not wrong, Canon 40D's body alone is 2k right? I think it will be quite tough to get a zoom lense and wide angle lens on top of 2k.

Personally, would recommend D80 with 18-135mm kit lens (about 1.6k :dunno:) and Tokina 12-24mm (Ultra Wide Angle, but consider wide on a DX cropped body, about 700-800?). This left you with about 700-800 bucks for you to invest on tripod, battery grips, camera bags, memory card, filters, dry cabinet etc. Don't look down on the cost of the accessories, can really add up to a lot.

Finally, Join the Dark Side~~~~~~~~~;p

So i guess you've fixed your choice on these 2 camera models? If so, here goes...

Hmm, if i am not wrong, Canon 40D's body alone is 2k right? I think it will be quite tough to get a zoom lense and wide angle lens on top of 2k.

Personally, would recommend D80 with 18-135mm kit lens (about 1.6k :dunno:) and Tokina 12-24mm (Ultra Wide Angle, but consider wide on a DX cropped body, about 700-800?). This left you with about 700-800 bucks for you to invest on tripod, battery grips, camera bags, memory card, filters, dry cabinet etc. Don't look down on the cost of the accessories, can really add up to a lot.

Finally, Join the Dark Side~~~~~~~~~;p

:thumbsup:... yes ..join the DARK SIDE ;)

You may consider a D200 + AFS17-35 f2.8 or AFS17-55 f2.8DX. The total price should be slightly above your budget. But good combi

Hi,

try a 40D with a 17-40. fits your budget. L lens some more. :thumbsup:

try a 40D with a 17-40. fits your budget. L lens some more. :thumbsup:

Oh ya, never thought of this.:embrass:

Wide and able to zoom. Yup, this lens is good. My shooting kakeys (who are all Canon Users) used this lens and i've tried it before. Very sharp and Fast. :thumbsup:

3k is a great budget to start with. However, you must understand that you should invest in good lenses and not just the good bodies. Lenses affect the image-quality of the picture more than the body. The body just affects the noise-control, continuous shooting speed and in most cases, the autofocus.

400D + 17-40mm f/4L + 28-135mm f/3.5 - 5.6 = S$2950 undiscounted

I own the 400D + BG-E3 Batt Grip + 17-40mm + 50mm f/1.8II prime (the cheap S$130 one). The 400D's grip might be a bit small for you, so if you find your pinky slipping under the camera, or find that you shoot in portrait orientation often, just get a battery grip (BG-E3) like I did. It really helps.

The above set-up is very nice and works well in most situations (except when shooting in dark conditions, then both lenses will be difficult to capture things well without having to pull around a tripod and setting long exposures.

Alternatively, if you need the slightly better image quality (due to DIGIC III processor), better noise control, better autofocus & fast continuous shooting speed (for things like sports), then the 40D will be the way to go. In that case, it'll be S$1850 for the body alone. That'll leave you with only S$1150 for lenses, and it'll be quite difficult, especially since you'll have to factor in the accessories budget (filters, more batteries and storage cards).

I only shoot with Canon cameras, so I can't help you with other brands' cameras.

Hope this helps =)

You may consider a D200 + AFS17-35 f2.8 or AFS17-55 f2.8DX. The total price should be slightly above your budget. But good combi

wah.. all the top of the line lenses.. but that combi cannot "take everything".. ha.. if you get what i mean..

Oh ya, never thought of this.:embrass:

Wide and able to zoom. Yup, this lens is good. My shooting kakeys (who are all Canon Users) used this lens and i've tried it before. Very sharp and Fast. :thumbsup:

eh.. f/4 fast meh? (ha you probably meant fast autofocus? but autofocus is body dependent also ba..) =)

btw ts.. i'd suggest the older d200.. then choose 3 of the 4 below depending on what you like to shoot.. (i'm a sucker for zoom lenses so not recommending primes.. besides you looking at wide and zoom also ^_^)

tokina 12-24.. or sigma 10-20?! (ultra wide zoom)
tamron 17-50.. (wide to normal zoom)
nikkor 70-300 VR (zoom)
SB600 / 800.. (flash photography)

the balance (if any) you can get other accessories for the camera: bags.. filters.. tripods.. etc..

eh.. f/4 fast meh? (ha you probably meant fast autofocus? but autofocus is body dependent also ba..) =)

Hmm, quite fast i feel wor. My friend using 400D (not 40D) with this lens. Maybe it's the shutter sound of Canon that makes me feel it is fast? :think:

Does your $3k budget is solely for camera + lenses only.

Do you set aside some budget for some other things like bag, tripod, memory card, spare battery, dry cab & etc.....

Does your $3k budget is solely for camera + lenses only.

Do you set aside some budget for some other things like bag, tripod, memory card, spare battery, dry cab & etc.....

Hello,

Thanks for the replies so far:thumbsup:. Kind of overwhelming (in terms of choice) but very helpful.

3K is strictly body and lense. I already have a tripod and dry cabinet. Used to shoot like 10 years ago then got busy with other things. So now starting again.

Used all brands, ended with Canon. If you're getting, then 40D would be excellent for its low light capabilities as well as quality, capability etc. Just my personal preference. Lens depends on what you're going to shoot, you can just make to with the kit or get the 17-40 L one instead some suggested, that one is really good if you're picky about quality. Else get primes.

Used all brands, ended with Canon. If you're getting, then 40D would be excellent for its low light capabilities as well as quality, capability etc. Just my personal preference. Lens depends on what you're going to shoot, you can just make to with the kit or get the 17-40 L one instead some suggested, that one is really good if you're picky about quality. Else get primes.

Thanks. Yup, highly likely I'll go for 40D with the 17-40L. Hmmm. The IT fair at Suntec starts today. Will go check it out. Thanks to all again.

Thanks. Yup, highly likely I'll go for 40D with the 17-40L. Hmmm. The IT fair at Suntec starts today. Will go check it out. Thanks to all again.

I guess MS color is the canon booth organiser. You can check out MS color branch for the same offer. :)

Hello,

Thanks for the replies so far:thumbsup:. Kind of overwhelming (in terms of choice) but very helpful.

3K is strictly body and lense. I already have a tripod and dry cabinet. Used to shoot like 10 years ago then got busy with other things. So now starting again.

Oh... sound like me 1 year ago. :)

I do recommand get at D80 or D200 and at least 2 lenses. Maybe Tamron 17-50f2.8 for general usage and the other 1 or 2 lenses will depend on your interest.

Since you are into photography before, you will easily outgrown a single lens.

Go to the IT show and try out the stunning new Pentax K20D.
Seriously, the handling and image quality from the 14.6 megapixel sensor is amazing.
Plus the usual Pentax goodies - in-body stabilization for every lens mounted, weather sealing, dust reduction and so much more. Plus Pentax lenses, particularly the prime lenses are reasonable and optically very good. Most important reason, easy on the wallet. :bsmilie:

buying a DSLR is buying a system... u must aware of the future lens purchase etc... better resell value is better for nikon and canon...

Status
Not open for further replies.