DSLR Reccomendations

joycegian

Apr 11, 2010
I was deciding between the 550D & K-X.
Went down SLS 2 days ago to have a feel of the cameras.
Was'nt able to try out the K-X.
But I fell in love with the White / Red K-X the moment the Salesperson took out from the box. LOLS

Girls tend to love the outlooks only. :p

I asked the Salesperson from Orient Photo which is better, he reccomended the K-X as it is cheap & their specs are almost the same.

Then I went to other stalls to just see see & this Salesperson reccomended me the GF1.
Which he says is a mini SLR & has colour choices too.
But was'nt able to try.

So please advise the pros here.

This will be my first SLR Camera.
Whether will I continue on this hobby, MAYBE a little, but not as much until owning tons of lens & accessories.

Because I studied NAFA last time & have always wanted to own my own SLR.
I've always liked taking Depth of Field pictures.
On what kind of lens good to take this kind of pictures, please reccomend too.

I totally lost touch on ISO, f-stops all this. LOLS

Budget 1 - 2k.

you can google more of the actual specs for comparison.
if you need just a basic and do not have intention to go further then the KX should be enough.

Ultimately, the decision lies in you, only you yourself know what you want.
people can only recommend you to a certain extend....

Since you mention 2K max KX is the one... u MAY need other lens and equipments...

For me it boils down to cost.
If cost is not an issue i will go for the best!

I was deciding between the 550D & K-X.
Went down SLS 2 days ago to have a feel of the cameras.
Was'nt able to try out the K-X.
But I fell in love with the White / Red K-X the moment the Salesperson took out from the box. LOLS

Girls tend to love the outlooks only. :p

I asked the Salesperson from Orient Photo which is better, he reccomended the K-X as it is cheap & their specs are almost the same.

Then I went to other stalls to just see see & this Salesperson reccomended me the GF1.
Which he says is a mini SLR & has colour choices too.
But was'nt able to try.

So please advise the pros here.

This will be my first SLR Camera.
Whether will I continue on this hobby, MAYBE a little, but not as much until owning tons of lens & accessories.

Because I studied NAFA last time & have always wanted to own my own SLR.
I've always liked taking Depth of Field pictures.
On what kind of lens good to take this kind of pictures, please reccomend too.

I totally lost touch on ISO, f-stops all this. LOLS

Budget 1 - 2k.
welcome to clubsnap!

You should list down what are the features which are important to you in the camera you're about to purchase.
for example:
1) LiveView
2) Video
3) Image-stabilisation
4) etc

This will help you to at least form a shortlist, which you can further reduce by eliminating those that are over budget.
Then try hands-on with as many of them as possible. Think of the intangibles... things which the salesman cannot compare easily, such as ergonomics, menu layout, feel of the materials, and so on.
Ultimately one camera is likely to "call out to you" and that's the one you should consider seriously.

From what you've written, I think you've returned most of what you learned from NAFA to the teacher already.
I think you're referring to a fondness for photos with thin DOF, whereby the background is rendered into a blur. This has less to do with the camera and more to do with the lens.

welcome to clubsnap!

You should list down what are the features which are important to you in the camera you're about to purchase.
for example:
1) LiveView
2) Video
3) Image-stabilisation
4) etc

This will help you to at least form a shortlist, which you can further reduce by eliminating those that are over budget.
Then try hands-on with as many of them as possible. Think of the intangibles... things which the salesman cannot compare easily, such as ergonomics, menu layout, feel of the materials, and so on.
Ultimately one camera is likely to "call out to you" and that's the one you should consider seriously.

From what you've written, I think you've returned most of what you learned from NAFA to the teacher already.
I think you're referring to a fondness for photos with thin DOF, whereby the background is rendered into a blur. This has less to do with the camera and more to do with the lens.

Ok, Here are the list which is important to me.
1) LiveView
3) Image-stabilisation (Think this one set fast shutter will do rights?)
4) Auto-Focus (Think this has got to do with the lens not camera rights?)

Still got what ahs?
Pardon me, LOLS, quite blur.

1) LiveView

Still got what ahs?

1)Both cams has live view
2)K-x has built in SR(shake reduction)550D dosen't have(i think)
3)Of course both cameras can AF lah...

Still have movie mode and whether you want to fork out $782 for a better camera or $1400++ for a big CANON word on your camera:bsmilie:

Go for the K-x:)

1) LiveView

Still got what ahs?

Liveview : I think the GF1 is the best choice. Its designed as a LV camera. The other 2 cameras have it, but I would still say that they are more traditional Single Lens Reflex (SLR) type cameras, designed for use through the view finder.

Image stabilization (IS): Canon does not have it on all models unless you get the lens that has it (so pay more for every lens). GF1 on is the same (IS on specific lenses you buy). Pentax Kx, every lens has IS as its built onto the camera body (even grand daddy lenses from 30-40ys back will have it).

Auto Focus (AF) : All have (its 2010 already not the stone age ) :D
But I am a caveman since I have mainly manual focus lenses :D

I would say the Kx and GF1 are probably the camera to look at for you. Small, colorful, striking. Do note that the DOF for GF1 will be more for the same aperture value (ie. you want less for 'bokeh' type shots) since its sensor is smaller.
If you don't want to spend too much, the Kx does cost ~$750 and can use very cheap (and fun) old lenses (MF though) that have been produced for the Pentax mount since the 60's to present day.

Lastly, I would not buy from the other shops in SimLim other than OP.

Please note that GF-1 is not a "DSLR". It is a camera with interchangeable lenses. DSLR refers to cameras with some sort of a mirror/prism in the camera which the GF1 do not have.

If you are considering GF-1, please also consider the Olympus E-PL1. same system using m4/3 mount.

Here are the differences between DSLR and GF1-type cameras.

Advantages of DSLR:
- Larger sensor. This can translate to better image quality performance, and DoF is more shallow, meaning you can get more "out of focus blur"/"background blur".
- Handles better. Ergonomics is much better.
- Optical viewfinder will use a lot less power. Can shoot a lot more pictures per charge.
- More lens options.
- Shoots faster. less lag, change settings faster.

Advantage of smaller m4/3 (like GF1 EP1)
- lighter
- Do not look as in-your-face
- smaller everything, body, lenses.
- wow factor
- ability to use old rangefinder lenses and other DSLR lenses with optional adapters.
- easier to use.

Do note however, pricing wise, I think the K-x is cheaper by quite a bit. So you have to gauge what is more important for you.

I wish to get a very blue background when taking depth of field.
So I think it all sums down to K-X?

No. The 550D. Dont judge cameras by their cover and their specs are NOT the same.. You wont regret your choice.

very blue bg? then it depends on the environment the photo was shot + hw much saturation set...nt reli cam dependent... wat i know of the KX is that it has high iso performance + digital filter in camera for you to play with if u r nt gd at photoshop...these r more of a feature of KX as compared to other comparable models i guess...

2nd thots..I tink u meant "blur" nt blue..haha...but still, it depends on environment + the lens u mount on ur cam then...

1) LiveView

Still got what ahs?

I would recommend the Pentax Kx or the Sony A500/550.

Pentax K-x the price for the performance is unbeatable. And, because the mounts for lenses are the same since the 60's or more accurately compatible, you can get to try out amazing older lenses without the hassle of adapter rings. So imagine if you ever invest in a lens, you can be sure 10 years later on a newer body your lens that you bought today can still be used. Provided if Pentax doesnt do a drastic change suddenly...

Kx is small and light so it would be quite handy.

I wish to get a very blur background when taking depth of field.
So I think it all sums down to K-X?

The K-X should be slightly better for this. Sounds like you are in love with the camera. Get it. Don't judge a camera by specs, no point having the best camera in the world and getting limited by things like weight and ergonomics ;)

Get a 50mm lens to go along and you will be a happy happy person :bsmilie:

oh and if im not mistaken, the GF1 replacement is coming soon i think.

oh and if im not mistaken, the GF1 replacement is coming soon i think.

Thats the G2 and G10.Both are 12.1MP,3inch screen and comes with 14-42 kit lens.Estimated price is 630pounds(G2 kit)and 500pounds(G10 kit)

G2 replaces the G1 while G10 has lower specs than the G2:)

if you want to take nice photos where the background is blur, you'll want a good "portrait lens". This means a lens with as large aperture an aperture as possible (especially at the tele part of the zoom range). Image quality at the tele part of the zoom range will also be important. If you have money to splurge, some recommendations for Canon are here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Portrait-Lens.aspx. For cheaper alternatives, go to a shop that would let you try out the lenses until you find out which one you like, read the lens reviews on Amazon.com or sites like www.the-digital-picture.com, dpreview.com. The kit lens might provide "acceptable" background blur at the far end of the zoom, but you'll have to try it out to decide whether it's "acceptable" enough for you. I don't think Pentax provides as large a range of lenses (i only saw 5 choices of lenses on dpreview.com) as Canon.

In terms of the chip, i've used Digic IV (on a 500D) and i find it's really really good (not sure how the Prime II with the K-x compares). I get some really good night shots+flash with the Digic IV engine.

In terms of image stabilization (IS), Canon IS lenses provide about 3-4 stops of image stabilization which I think would be better than the K-x which provides stabilization on the body. Of course lenses with image stabilization are usually considerably more expensive (but the difference is probably quite small for Canon kit-lens).

Get the K-x only if budget constraints are important for you. Otherwise get the 550D. There's a reason why people choose Canon.

if you want to take nice photos where the background is blur, you'll want a good "portrait lens". This means a lens with as large aperture an aperture as possible (especially at the tele part of the zoom range). Image quality at the tele part of the zoom range will also be important. If you have money to splurge, some recommendations for Canon are here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Portrait-Lens.aspx. For cheaper alternatives, go to a shop that would let you try out the lenses until you find out which one you like, read the lens reviews on Amazon.com or sites like www.the-digital-picture.com, dpreview.com. The kit lens might provide "acceptable" background blur at the far end of the zoom, but you'll have to try it out to decide whether it's "acceptable" enough for you. I don't think Pentax provides as large a range of lenses (i only saw 5 choices of lenses on dpreview.com) as Canon.

In terms of the chip, i've used Digic IV (on a 500D) and i find it's really really good (not sure how the Prime II with the K-x compares). I get some really good night shots+flash with the Digic IV engine.

In terms of image stabilization (IS), Canon IS lenses provide about 3-4 stops of image stabilization which I think would be better than the K-x which provides stabilization on the body. Of course lenses with image stabilization are usually considerably more expensive (but the difference is probably quite small for Canon kit-lens).

Get the K-x only if budget constraints are important for you. Otherwise get the 550D. There's a reason why people choose Canon.

The K-mount has a very long history. Other than the old Pentax lens, some of the Russian lens come in M42 and K-mount only and these lens perform excellently. Anyways, you are the first person I know to compare cameras using chips. I don't think even reviewers or professional photographers know much about what the chips are doing to the photos exactly. If you could provide an explanation beyond "I get some really good night shots+flash with the Digic IV engine." I would be interested in learning from you how the chips affect the final output.

Finally I personally find the statement "There's a reason why people choose Canon" slightly offensive because there's a reason why people choose Pentax, Sony, Nikon, Olympus as well. For most people I know, including myself, the person taking the photo is the weakest link in producing a good photo. Not the camera or the lens.

The K-mount has a very long history. Other than the old Pentax lens, some of the Russian lens come in M42 and K-mount only and these lens perform excellently. Anyways, you are the first person I know to compare cameras using chips. I don't think even reviewers or professional photographers know much about what the chips are doing to the photos exactly. If you could provide an explanation beyond "I get some really good night shots+flash with the Digic IV engine." I would be interested in learning from you how the chips affect the final output.

Finally I personally find the statement "There's a reason why people choose Canon" slightly offensive because there's a reason why people choose Pentax, Sony, Nikon, Olympus as well. For most people I know, including myself, the person taking the photo is the weakest link in producing a good photo. Not the camera or the lens.

Chill bro Kaixiang, let's not start a war.

The reason why people choose canon is because of Ken Watanabe :bsmilie:
okay obviously im joking but you get the drift.

The only reason why I'm advocating the purchase of the K-x is simply because for it's price, in the DSLR class. NOTHING comes close.

As mentioned with the Pentax, you aren't limited to just 5... wait a minute yes its 5... its 5 decades of lenses for you to play around with. ::lovegrin:

Yes no doubt, the 550D is an excellent camera its a stripped down 7D.

Oh one more thing, check out the Pentaxian community in CS ;)