dslr question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sglion

Dec 11, 2009
Hi,

I am using Canon IXUS 970IS(10MP, 5x zoom) for the last 2 years and happy with it so far, except on low-light/night-time and high-speed shots(son playing and jumping around). I would like to get a dSLR for those moments/conditions and seeking recommendations here.

All my past cameras were of canon, so I am a canon fan, and recently I helped someone buy a 450D at sitex. I tested and I find it a bit big/bulky ( i am used to the ixus at my jeans pocket). I like the flip-screen lcd of the nikon, and there is the sony alpha range, so its a bit hard to make up my mind. :dunno: I need some hints on a good camera for me. I don't plan to buy a lot of lens or accessories. The default lens and camera should be good enough.

Also, since I use the ixus 85% of the time and need this dslr for maybe 15% of the time, is it advisable to go second-hand? what would be a good second-hand camera to get ?

finally, if the sensor size is the same, would 6 or 8MP give a much better and nice picture vs 10/12 MP? The max I might need to print is the A4 size.

I found someone selling canon eos 300d which is 6MP at 350 with the standard 18-55 mm lens. Would it be a recommended buy? or add more and get something else?

Thanks for reading and replying. :cool:

Last edited:
Seems like you want something small and compact with a flip LCD. The Nikon D5000 or the Sony A330/A380 will be good for you.

Pros of the D5000:
Movie mode
Larger (which may be better handling)

Cons:
Very slow AF in live view/movie mode (can't keep up with a running kid)
Can only AF with AF-S or AF-I lenses (more ex)

Pros of the A330:
Fast AF in Live view
Big tilt LCD (which is very handy in live view)
Can AF with all Sony/Minolta AF lenses

Cons of tha A330:
It's a bit small and some people find it uncomfortable
No movie mode

If you don't need video, go for the A330.

But honestly, you'd have found this out if you tested the cameras for yourself or even just compared features side-by-side.

Second hand sets can be found in the Marketplace forum section here.

Thank You for the quick answer. Will look for the A330 in more detail.

from your requirement, a megazoom like the Canon SX20 IS or similar might be what you are looking for if you do not need the flexibility a dslr offers.

I don't think you'll be using your slr 15% of the time after you bought it.. haha cos you'll realise the improvement in image quality and would want to keep using it. But that's just my speculation.

Actually the xxxD series from canon is already very compact.. since you're already on canon, I suggest just sticking to canon. 450D/500D is all fine. cheers.

Thanks Guys.

I hope this coming c3 show at suntec will have some camera deals to decide from.

ianhyk, I think you are right. I might be using it more :)

Thanks Guys.

I hope this coming c3 show at suntec will have some camera deals to decide from.

ianhyk, I think you are right. I might be using it more :)

Every 3 months there's a show. And every time there's a show, newbies ask on here about "good deals". And the answer is always the same: Spare yourself the hassle, you'll get the same/better deals from the recommended shops.

Hi,

I am using Canon IXUS 970IS(10MP, 5x zoom) for the last 2 years and happy with it so far, except on low-light/night-time and high-speed shots(son playing and jumping around). I would like to get a dSLR for those moments/conditions and seeking recommendations here.

All my past cameras were of canon, so I am a canon fan, and recently I helped someone buy a 450D at sitex. I tested and I find it a bit big/bulky ( i am used to the ixus at my jeans pocket). I like the flip-screen lcd of the nikon, and there is the sony alpha range, so its a bit hard to make up my mind. :dunno: I need some hints on a good camera for me. I don't plan to buy a lot of lens or accessories. The default lens and camera should be good enough.

Also, since I use the ixus 85% of the time and need this dslr for maybe 15% of the time, is it advisable to go second-hand? what would be a good second-hand camera to get ?

finally, if the sensor size is the same, would 6 or 8MP give a much better and nice picture vs 10/12 MP? The max I might need to print is the A4 size.

I found someone selling canon eos 300d which is 6MP at 350 with the standard 18-55 mm lens. Would it be a recommended buy? or add more and get something else?

Thanks for reading and replying. :cool:

since you're at home with canon then better as well get a canon dslr.

im a nikon user. recently just bought a Nikon D5000, im a first time dslr user but im very much happy with with it. the swivel screen really helps a lot in composing your photos at different angles and much more on protecting your precious lcd from knocks.

there's no way to compare canon and nikon as to which is better. it really depends on the user which is he comfortable with. after all these two companies are both reputable makers of dslr.

i choose the nikon over the canon because (my opinion) of the following reasons
1) im comfortable in handling its grip (which should be your first factor in choosing a dslr). not too small and not too big...
2) for a first timer, there are only a few buttons you have to worry about compared to a canon which has so many dedicated buttons that you might end up accidentally pushing them while you're on the go taking photos.
3) i find its user interface friendly for a beginner like me
4) the information displayed on the lcd screen is very beginner friendly and easy to understand
4) picture quality is superb. very good in low light conditions as to what you are looking for
5) it has a self cleaning image sensor
6) im very much satisfied with its lens (a Nikkor 18-55mm VR)

....forget pixels....it doesnt make good of a dslr. although my nikon d5000 is a 12MP but it was not that attracted me to it....i had very good photo quality photos with my previous Sony DSC-H5 which is just a 7.2MP (if it wasnt spoiled by corrosion)

....im not so sure about 2nd hand dslr. but if budget constraints you, better check the reputation of the owner and not that of the camera. ask him so many questions about it or see that person selling you the unit and see the camera itself. take note on the consistency of his answers to your querries. im sure you could feel it with your eyes if the camera is good by the first time you see it. test it also. if you find a single doubt (even just a single one) then i advise you not to pursue it. better end up with a higher priced brand new unit than a cheap one and regret forever...

Hi,

Hi. :)

If you are really really not intending to get a lot of accessories, the D5000 is quite okay. But you might have to spend more money on some lenses with built in autofocus motor. And the articulated screen is quite a big plus for people who are used to using the live view in PnS.

For Canon, the lenses are cheaper as compared to Sony and Nikon. One example is the 50mm f/1.8 lens. And since you are a Canon fan, it might be easier to understand how a Canon DSLR works. As I am a Sony fan and have played a Sony PnS before, so I know how their interface works etc.

For Sony, the entry level DSLRs are more affordable and more practical. Affordable in a sense that you get a DSLR with an AF motor and an Image Stabilisation/ Vibration Reduction/SteadyShot in the body. It is affordable as compared to the entry level DSLRs from Nikon. And if you are a complete newbie, like someone who doesnt know how the aperture/shutter speed/etc etc work, the sony entry level DSLRs like a230, a330, a380 and even the a500 and a550 have an on-screen guide. To be honest, I was a complete newbie one or two months ago, but after I bought the a330, I managed to learn how the shutter speed and aperture affect the exposure etc etc.

A good second-hand camera is subjective. Yeah. But I don't like to get second hand stuffs. Haha. But that's just me.

And you might want to consider olympus/pentax. I saw a few offerings from olympus and they seemed decent.

And if someone on the net like yahoo answers advises you to go Canon or Nikon and forget about Sony just because they have been using Canon or Nikon for don't know how many years and Canon and Nikon have a long history, please take that as a reference and not something that will affect your decision. Because, I don't see how the History of the various companies/brands will affect the quality or performance of the camera. No offense intended to all the Canon and Nikon users.

If you have decent equipments like a decent DSLR and kit lens, it will produce quality photos, no matter what.

P.S. I am a Sony user, so I might be biased. But some are facts. :)

hmm if u like the size of ixus sooooo much, why not consider the Pen from olympus? the EP-1 or EP-2.

think you should really go test out the pen, its small and perform similar in terms of IQ to DSLR. there are fun to use art filter effects for u to play with and the E-2 got video with AF. you might just dump your ixus in the end LOL

olympus is not a very popular brand like canon or nikon in the DSLR world but they do have very good cameras. I not selling oylmpus brand but from your style of shooting and preferrance, you want a small but yet powerful camera and seriously the micro 4 third (m4/3) is a good consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.