DSLR Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
why you never say so earlier, the poor ts is now so emo because you never say.....

:kok::kok::kok:

ok i say again..

nikon d5000 is good enough!

:bsmilie: my bad my bad!

I had just being given a Nikon DSLR D5000 as a gift. I would like to hear the review of this model? Is it good enough for a freelance photographer to take wedding shoots (ROM,Pre Wedding & Actual Day)?

Is it difficult to become a photographer for ROM, Pre Wedding and Actual Day Wedding for a totally noobie like me? I wanted to become one but i am not sure how to start to be one.

It is absolutely difficult to become a ROM, Pre Wedding and Actual Day Wedding shooter if you don't know what you're doing because you can't re-shoot.

As for your camera question, of course it's good enough. What's more important is the lens and flash, and learn to shoot in RAW and post-process. If you have a D3X or a D3000/D5000 your pictures will still suck if you don't have skills. Chances are, a wedding guest with photography skills will take better photos with his cellphone cam.

If your skills are good, then you can do well. Stop being a gearhead.

get a decent like sb600 1st.
it will change the way u take pic.

sorry then get better lens, especially big aperature len like the 35mm f1.8

look at the life cycle of DSLR, most of them have less than 3 years will be replace by newer models. you can walk in to any shops to buy the most latest and most awesome camera, it will make you look like a pro photographer instantly.

but skills need to time to build up, at least a few years if you shoot a lot (two or three times a week), and to be truth, not all people are good in this area even they had tired very hard.

So, there is no reason for you to get a most awesome, tok gong, no horse run, OMG camera now, even you are going to shoot a wedding tomorrow.

Wah piang, your self-proclaimed Poeple skills is fail lah :thumbsd:

Since you're already so single-minded about needing good equipments to take wedding, then why bother asking for advise in the first place? And then when people give advise, you emo :sweat:
Wedding photographer cannot be like that lah. If your customers or their frens and relatives make a bad comment about some of your shots, are you going to argue with them too??
Hey!! This photo is taken using D3x ok?! It's a GOOD photo.

Camera equipments are not just about camera body, lenses and flashes play an important role in wedding photography too. Not so simple as having a good camera lah.

And about your F1 theory, if YOU are driving in an F1 car and Schumacher is driving a Van, my bet will be on the Van cause you will crash in the first turn.

dont put me in the examples ( i never quote myself in the example i gave), i am saying considered all the drivers are f1 trained, and schumacher is driving van, will he still win?? u all got to understand, u are not the only photographer around, u must stand out from the rest in order to survive. Yes i believe skills do play an important part but what good if u can only use mediocore camaras that can never give good quality images? I had tried some digital camaras, no matter how i take, the quality of the images sucks, so many pixelated dots or the image is not clear at all or blurry, so with this type of camara, will a pro will a very good skillset create quality photo images???

Last edited:
dont put me in the examples ( i never quote myself in the example i gave), i am saying considered all the drivers are f1 trained, and schumacher is driving van, will he still win?? u all got to understand, u are not the only photographer around, u must stand out from the rest in order to survive. Yes i believe skills do play an important part but what good if u can only use mediocore camaras that can never give good quality images? I had tried some digital camaras, no matter how i take, the quality of the images sucks, so many pixelated dots or the image is not clear at all or blurry, so with this type of camara, will a pro will a very good skillset create quality photo images???

lol...

here is one thread using p&s..

you want to see more p&s wedding photos, i can dig... :)

thanks, i had saw the thread liao... alot of good photos

this is what we mean, you can see some relatively ok discussions i had discussed last time.

try to see the point, no one is saying that you must use p&s, rather, just reminding you, equipment needs skillset to pair with it, so take note of both.. :) both are important.

link1

link2

hope this helps.

so u all meaning u can just anyhow get a normal carmera which have restricted function to get limit your capability? So what if you have the best skillset in the world but your camera limit your skills?? why not u use normal digital camera then, why use dslr then??? digital camera even more cost justafiable, 200 to 300 plus can get one already, then why dont pros use it since they only consider skills only.

It is just like competing in a F1 race, all the pple are driving a f1 cars while you just driving a 1.3Litres van or car, do u think u will win the race even u got the best skill in the world??? Do u all get my point???

If u want to do, do to the best with the best equipment, dont do sub standard quality or give sub standard products!

Then what is your question? First you ask if its good enough. Then you say must have best equipment.

Is D5000 good enough? Yes.
Is D5000 the best equipment? No.

So whats your decision then.

SuccessEnroute dude...

I support you all the way man. Live your dreams. Go for it man! Go for gold, go for the best!

Gear you need:

Bodies:
D3x as main cam
D700 as backup cam

Lenses:
50 f/1.4
85 f/1.4
135 f/2 DC (if you can find it)
14-24 f/2.8
17-35 f/2.8
70-200 f/2.8

Flash:
2x SB900 with lightstands. Several Diffusers (several kinds)

Tripod:
Gitzo with Markins head.

This should be sufficient for the time being.

PS. Sell me your D5000 leh. Got discount or not?

Last edited:
If this is what you think then the D5000 probably isn't good enough for you.

Be it D5000 or top of the line camera, each got their pro and cons.

D5000

Pro:
- If you images don't turn out good maybe you can comfort yourself that the camera isn't good enough for your skills.
- If your images turn out well liked, people will acknowledge your skills more readily since you are using entry level camera :think:

Con:
- Fellow gear heads will ridicule you for using an entry level camera. :confused:
- As you said it make give you a bad image as your customer thinks you are short changing them. :sweat:

Top of the line equipment

Pro:
- It makes you look pro, makes you feel good and gears heads will respect you.
- Pro equipment may make your job easier :dunno:

Con:
- If you images don't turn out well, people may ridicule for not being able to deliver despite using Pro equipment. :sweatsm:

SuccessEnroute dude...

I support you all the way man. Live your dreams. Go for it man!

Gear you need:

D3 or D3x as main cam
D700 backup cam

50 f/1.4
85 f/1.4
14-24 f/2.8
17-35 f/2.8
70-200 f/2.8

PS. Sell me your D5000 leh. Got discount or not?

Must be D3x, cause it's award winning camera, fees can charge higher.

Must use Canon 1DsMkIII with WHITE L lens as backup cam, this is for show-off purpose.

SuccessEnroute dude...

Bodies:
D3x as main cam
D700 as backup cam

Lenses:
50 f/1.4
85 f/1.4
14-24 f/2.8
17-35 f/2.8
70-200 f/2.8

Flash:
2x SB900 with lightstands. Several Diffusers (several kinds)

Tripod:
Gitzo with Markins head.

This should be sufficient for the time being.

:bigeyes: $.$

no, you should recommend him d90, d300, then d700, then when he dump dump dump you reap waht you sowed.. :bsmilie:

Good business man :thumbsup:

Maybe you should convince him to jump ship to Pentax, then you reap what you sowed too ;) :bsmilie:

simple... pro dont need dslr at all, they can just use normal digital camera, that is the conclusion from the all the posts.

I didnt say i dont want to brush up my skills, i only ask a simple question, what is a good model for freelance photographer to take good wedding shoots. I never ask for anything else that is not related to my questions and tonnes of u all kept posting irrelevant to my questions.

why cant u all just say whether d5000 good enuff or just other models better and comment on this rather on what pro skill or no skill. look at daredevil, he is giving good comments, i appreciate this type of comments, not those type of useless ones. There are just some senior member who like to go around forums and kwai lan with noobies.

Yes i am a noobie but i didnt say i want to start immediately to charge pple for it. I am just merely asking a simple question, the camera model good enuff for wedding, thats it. why do u need to care about my skill or not, over the time i definitely go and brush up and improve my skills, that is no doubt about it and common sense about it. I am not here to just ask questions and forget about it, i am serious in this,thats y i ask for advice and look what i get from u all??

when u ask for comments, do it with humility. if u know already what kind of comments u want to hear, then probably u know ur answer already and no need to ask it.

if u're really serious about asking for help, dont just get upset when they dont say the things u want to hear. to be fair, u ask for comments and they give it according to their understanding and definitely not here to be kwai lan with u.

no, you should recommend him d90, d300, then d700, then when he dump dump dump you reap waht you sowed.. :bsmilie:

Hmmm, maybe I should but I think most people only stupid for 1 or max 2 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.