dSLR owners mindset?

do you feel threatened by new dSLRs from competitors? WHY???

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

michhy

Oct 21, 2005
Samsung recently unveiled a dSLR and announced their entry into the dSLR market. Was reading some comments from people and it seems that most owners of existing dSLRs do not welcome new-comers into the dSLR category.

Some other examples include the new Olympus e330 with swivel life LCD feed - mixed opinions
The Sony R1 utilizing a APS sized sensor (not dSLR) but again, mixed thoughts.

Cant help but feel that dSLR owners somehow do not like it when competitor companies try to built new or add new features into dSLR cameras. Do they feel a threat, maybe?

Isnt innovation and moving forward a good thing for consumers? we are all consumers, arent we???

the feeling is just so weird....even a SAMSUNG wants to come into the dslr realm... lol..
i just feel that they just want a slice of the dslr money pie and want to come in.
and ya, i wont buy this alien brand things..to me, they just dun belong to the dslr category

i think it's good.. more competition = lower price for DSLR = we save $$$ :thumbsup:

Hahaha.... I love full frame, competition etc... better saving :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Interesting observation. And a lot of this supposed 'hostility' perhaps stems from brand loyalty. For most people however, who are willing to pay and buy only quality, regardless of brand, I think new entries into the DSLR realm are good.

Competition amongst the big boys in this business means better tools for us because they are forced to innovate and improve.

As long as new manufacturers do not imply the immediate death of the after market accessories and lens for the dSLR i am using, why should we feel threatened?

Anyway, most of the new entries are actually buying into existing systems, like SONY buying up KM. Even it is so, SONY has commited to continue to develope dSLR along the line that has been set up KM. Either way, there is not threat.

More manufactuerers, means more gimicks which would make selection of systems more difficult.
But for those who have already selected the system to buy into, more competitions means manufacturers will have to continue to develop better optics to keep themselves competitive and it will ultimately benefit us, as long as price do not go up too much

Sony's move to acquire KM is definitely a good news; Sony is probably one of the most famous "want-to-do-everything" Japanese/Korean company, and in whatever Sony ventures, we see good & bad, but I am waiting for the good things to come. I still remember those years when folks will go to electronic stores and say "Sony is definitely better". That drives Sony to do more, more in R&D, and definitely more in satisfying the consumers.

I for one will probably NEVER let go of my Canon equipments. I may consider in the not-so-indistant future to purchase products from the darkside, or even Sony, but I will just sit and wait, and who should ever know, Creative ventures in DSLR market with the first DSLR equipped with sound-recording feature. ;)

fWord said:
Interesting observation. And a lot of this supposed 'hostility' perhaps stems from brand loyalty.

probably.... but i find that alot of DSLR users also have a mindset that the camera is darn important... eventhough we all "claim" its the person... and amny would prob snort at someone using a cheap(er) PnS or maybe even refuse to use/buy one....

michhy said:
Samsung recently unveiled a dSLR and announced their entry into the dSLR market. Was reading some comments from people and it seems that most owners of existing dSLRs do not welcome new-comers into the dSLR category.

Some other examples include the new Olympus e330 with swivel life LCD feed - mixed opinions
The Sony R1 utilizing a APS sized sensor (not dSLR) but again, mixed thoughts.

Cant help but feel that dSLR owners somehow do not like it when competitor companies try to built new or add new features into dSLR cameras. Do they feel a threat, maybe?

Isnt innovation and moving forward a good thing for consumers? we are all consumers, arent we???

samsung coming out with a dslr which is better than my nikon does not mean that my nikon will stop functioning.

if they can make the dslr system better, then i'll switch over!

hammer_400 said:
probably.... but i find that alot of DSLR users also have a mindset that the camera is darn important... eventhough we all "claim" its the person... and amny would prob snort at someone using a cheap(er) PnS or maybe even refuse to use/buy one....

those people are labelled as "equipment wankers" for obvious reasons. :)

some of them sound as if they cannot take any pix if they don't have the latest and the best equipment available. and some actually got into flame wars because somebody claimed that their brand of equipment is better. Amazing, isn't it? It makes one wonders if mankind has really progressed with time.

a dSLR system consist of lenses, flashes, accessories, including 3rd party ones amongst other things. How can a non-SLR brand without the established arsenal of lenses, flashes hope to convince existing SLR users to switch? upgraders also will need the availability of
2nd hand lenses, cheaper 3rd party accessories..

Amongst all, Sony KM has the best chance. KM is already an established system. In my opinion, this is the right and only way for a new brand to enter the market. Samsung? no chance.

Olympus is also an established brand and has a system of its own. the Evolt 330 is indeed innovative! Competitive pricing by Sony and Olympus can help bring down the average prices of dSLRs! But it seems Nikon and Canon lenses will remain expensive...

Voted no, because in the end the consumer benefits from all the competition between the manufacturers. The only thing that feels threatened is my wallet. :cry:

singapurasteve said:
Voted no, because in the end the consumer benefits from all the competition between the manufacturers. The only thing that feels threatened is my wallet. :cry:

AGREE! oh one more thing.. at the end of the day: personal preferences to one brand also counts!

I'm wondering if a 3rd party company is allowed to create a body that utilizes the existing lens that is used by, example, Canon or Nikon bodies? :think:

michhy said:
I'm wondering if a 3rd party company is allowed to create a body that utilizes the existing lens that is used by, example, Canon or Nikon bodies? :think:

the 3rd party company might have to pay royalty to canon/nikon to let them use their mounts... might. im not sure...

metallilan said:
the 3rd party company might have to pay royalty to canon/nikon to let them use their mounts... might. im not sure...

Hmm true, but for someone trying to get a piece of the existing dSLR market, wouldnt it be a smart move? :think:

Also, it would mean a wide choice for us users :D

michhy said:

Fuji and Kodak

hammer_400 said:

Yes, indeed. There's this saying that's been floating around for a long time, "It's not the equipment that matters, but the photographer behind the camera." However, I've sought to refine that into, "The photographer's brilliance is worth more than the equipment, for the equipment is just a tool. However, just as a tool without a mind is incomplete, a photographer without the correct tools is crippled."

Simply put, I think we should accord an almost even amount of importance to both the development of a 'seeing' eye and the building of a setup that best fits our needs and allows us to express our subject and ourselves.

If a PnS is sufficient for our purposes, then I'd say go for it. But if there is a reason to go into prosumers or SLRs, then so be it too! Except that the wallet would soon start to hurt... :devil:

loudhailer said:
It makes one wonders if mankind has really progressed with time.

Perhaps mankind has indeed progressed. But in some cases, the more things change, the more they stay the same. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.