DSLR or SLT

ericshtoh

Oct 16, 2011
Is it still worth to buy a dslr now. Or can look into the sony slt tech?? Hard to decide...

IsenGrim

Jan 28, 2008
It's still worth it to buy SLR, TLR, Pinholes.

It depends on what you want. Mirrorless systems cannot match the focusing speeds of DSLRs.
It also cannot match the lens range (>200mm lenses, specialty lenses)

But mirrorless systems are small, portable.
A more gradual learning curve compared to other systems.

Last edited:

Mythmaker

Oct 8, 2011
Buangkok MRT
SLT's focusing can match dslr's... afterall, they are both phrase detection =.=

One problem with the SLT is your battery life is pretty short...

Last edited:

ericshtoh

Oct 16, 2011
I am quite new. I like photography as a hobby. I like to shoot portrait(with blur background), marco and scenary. Any good camera to reconmend?? Thanks

Cowseye

Mar 7, 2010
Singapore
www.ttlo-cowseye.com
IsenGrim said:
It's still worth it to buy SLR, TLR, Pinholes.

It depends on what you want. Mirrorless systems cannot match the focusing speeds of DSLRs.
It also cannot match the lens range (>200mm lenses, specialty lenses)

But mirrorless systems are small, portable.
A more gradual learning curve compared to other systems.
Isn't Nikon V1/J1 recipient for fast focusing speed rating?

As for range, with adapters, this is the kind of monster you can create:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/01/21/n...ron-reflex-2000mm-f10-5400mm.aspx/#more-31488

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
I am quite new. I like photography as a hobby. I like to shoot portrait(with blur background), marco and scenary. Any good camera to reconmend?? Thanks
I heard of this brand that is very good. You should check it out. Leica - check out the M9 model, I heard it is not bad.

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
daredevil123 said:
I heard of this brand that is very good. You should check it out. Leica - check out the M9 model, I heard it is not bad.
Nah... Over priced.

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
Any camera can do that. Any DSLR/DSLT can do that. You just need the right lenses.

FYI, we have a "what DSLR to get?" FAQ. READ IT.

Blur Shadow

Sep 17, 2005
daredevil123 said:
Haha! Not bad indeed!

Blur Shadow

Sep 17, 2005
Sony's SLT technology is doubtlessly innovative, but there's more to a camera than that - the sensor, the lenses available, various functions, to accessories support.

It's like saying a car has an innovative chassis or great engine - 1 of the many parts to form the complete package.

TWmilkteaTW

May 30, 2011
U are new. And you dontknow what you want. So basically..everything is good. Just get 1 that makes you feel most happy with and start shooting. Thats it.
all camera in the market can shoot portrait/macro and scenery. Period.

kei1309

Apr 12, 2010
Earth
www.facebook.com
Mythmaker said:
SLT's focusing can match dslr's... afterall, they are both phrase detection =.=

One problem with the SLT is your battery life is pretty short...
The new generation of SLT cameras uses the old M batteries that the older A5xx, A7xx, A850 and A900 used, and is rated for over 800-900 shots at least.

Why do the 1st generationof SLTs use the new W batteries? Perhaps to reduce the bulk and weight. If you have a small camera, it would defeat its purpose by using a large and heavy battery, no?

donut88

Nov 14, 2008
One thing to consider DSLR and SLT is the weight balance for some heavier and longer lens

SLT can be small lightweight, but if its matched with a heavier or longer lens, the weight won't be balanced. And the user finds himself feeling v funny using this setup.

TWmilkteaTW

May 30, 2011
One thing to consider DSLR and SLT is the weight balance for some heavier and longer lens

SLT can be small lightweight, but if its matched with a heavier or longer lens, the weight won't be balanced. And the user finds himself feeling v funny using this setup.
Its not that bad actually.. No issues for me. Unless you meant Nex system with A mounts 1KG lens..then i would agree with you.
Weird enough. Too heavy..Too Light also a problem now.

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005

Long/heavy lenses are usually carried/supported by the lens anyway - the body weight matters little in that case.

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
So Marco is your friend? :) If you refer to insects and other small objects, it's Macro.

Blur Shadow

Sep 17, 2005
donut88 said:

This is actually one of the things I have always been puzzled about - I never had any problems with this. Just hold it by the lens if the lens is more massive.

Dec 12, 2009
Nobody mention about the difference between optical and electronic viewfinder... For me I will still stick to SLR because of the optical viewfinder.

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
Nobody mention about the difference between optical and electronic viewfinder... For me I will still stick to SLR because of the optical viewfinder.
Both have advantages and disadvantages.

area0404

Nov 10, 2011
Yea. I'm kinda not used to electronic view-finder too. I find them only telling part of the story.

Top Bottom