DSLR or Prosumer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucksoon

Dec 15, 2003
I know the topic has been discussed to death here but I'm still considering between a DSLR and Prosumer. I have read the sticky guides above and they have been extremely informative. Kudos!

For the past 3 years, I have been using the Canon A80 for all purposes - portraits, sports, landscapes etc. I played with manual controls extensively and enjoyed them pretty much. However I'm often disappointed with action photography under low light conditions like indoor stage performance. Images often turned out blurry (no flash) and dark (with flash).

Last month the A80 decided to retire and I have been hunting for a new camera since then. However I faced the dilemma of whether to get a prosumer or go straight into DSLR. Getting a prosumer camera like the Panasonic FZ18 seemed the most natural upgrade. Superzoom is very attractive and full manual controls can let me explore more on photography. However, I'm concerned of the improvement of image quality when it comes to low light action photography stated above. If I still get the same blurry and dark photos, I might as well go straight into DSLR :D

So, I have an interesting (mad) budget worked out: Between $600 - $3000. My budget can be stretched all the way to 2-3k if I go into DSLR. However being a typical kiasee consumer, I often question myself: Would I be better off spending $600-$800 on a prosumer for a start, or $1000-$2000 on a budget DSLR system, or break bank on a mid-range DSLR system between $2000-$3000?

Would love to hear from fellow newbies who recently entered the DSLR world and experts who can advise me further. Thanks! :)

if you intend to view the pictures are 100%... getting a prosumer will be disappointing as well... it gets noisy even at low iso... but if you intend to just play on the screen a prosumer with a hot shoe might fit your usage.

I got an entry level DSLR cause i had enough of the noisy pictures when i open them up... am enjoying the DLSR now... :vhappy:

End of the day... its really your choice... also... size is a concern... prosumer has amazing macro and telephoto with its small size... something you'll never get from dslr :) so if size is an issue... you may wanna go for the prosumer :think:

both! they serve different needs

Personally, I would go for a budget DSLR and work up from there. It's only logical if you're really into photography.

Got a point. I have some options: Get a 2nd hand from BnS. Consider entry level DSLR like Nikon D40 and Sony A100.

if you intend to view the pictures are 100%... getting a prosumer will be disappointing as well... it gets noisy even at low iso... but if you intend to just play on the screen a prosumer with a hot shoe might fit your usage.

I got an entry level DSLR cause i had enough of the noisy pictures when i open them up... am enjoying the DLSR now... :vhappy:

End of the day... its really your choice... also... size is a concern... prosumer has amazing macro and telephoto with its small size... something you'll never get from dslr :) so if size is an issue... you may wanna go for the prosumer :think:

I do agree that prosumers are quite amazing little machines. Noise aside, I guess it has the most value for money. Seriously considering the Panasonic FZ18 and Canon S5 IS (the swivel screen like my old Canon A80) :D

Go for the DSLR if you're really interested in photography. Dont be like me... I bought a Panasonic FZ50 when I started out thinking that its what I wanted and I wont have to worry about buying new lens etc...

However, after 2 months, I started to realised the low light performance, the noise in high ISO, the shutter lag and processing lag is beginning to irritate me as I missed quite a few good shots... Thus 4mth after getting the prosumer, I sold it off and got myself a D80...

I must say I am very happy with my D80 now and on hindsight should had bought it right away instead of the FZ50 (and losing some $$$ along the way when I sold it off)

Go for the DSLR if you're really interested in photography. Dont be like me... I bought a Panasonic FZ50 when I started out thinking that its what I wanted and I wont have to worry about buying new lens etc...

However, after 2 months, I started to realised the low light performance, the noise in high ISO, the shutter lag and processing lag is beginning to irritate me as I missed quite a few good shots... Thus 4mth after getting the prosumer, I sold it off and got myself a D80...

I must say I am very happy with my D80 now and on hindsight should had bought it right away instead of the FZ50 (and losing some $$$ along the way when I sold it off)

Thanks for your advice. I guess I can learn something from your experience :)

I have heard people buying a DSLR and said that they hate it because it is big and bulky and troublesome to change lens, etc... but I entered buying my first DSLR on 2 June 07 and have loved it! So... it is hard to say... do you want convienience... or do you want to explore the world of photography? A prosumer can take some great shots... but at the same time, there are also limitations... and even in DSLR, each model also has its limitations...

Well... let me propose based on your budget... something that you can think about for the DSLR route... these are estimate amounts...

1. Nikon D70s (2nd hand) = $700
2. Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens (new) = $700
3. Nikon SB600 flash (new) $350

Total = $1750

Then you can consider the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D (2nd hand) = $700.

I have heard people buying a DSLR and said that they hate it because it is big and bulky and troublesome to change lens, etc... but I entered buying my first DSLR on 2 June 07 and have loved it! So... it is hard to say... do you want convienience... or do you want to explore the world of photography? A prosumer can take some great shots... but at the same time, there are also limitations... and even in DSLR, each model also has its limitations...

Well... let me propose based on your budget... something that you can think about for the DSLR route... these are estimate amounts...

Total = $1750

Thanks for the great tip! As a matter of fact, I love the handling of DSLR. Feels great in hands. Maybe not on the back and neck though :p

Thanks for the great tip! As a matter of fact, I love the handling of DSLR. Feels great in hands. Maybe not on the back and neck though :p

many prosumers handles like dSLRs, but not the weight...

many prosumers handles like dSLRs, but not the weight...

Definitely. I quite like the handling of Panasonic FZ18 when I played with it another day. Quite solid yet pretty light. One thing I like about Prosumer and DSLR is the rubber grip, which compacts like my old A80 cannot offer.

Total = $1750

if u are on budget, can consider 2nd hand lens too.
and the 80-200 f2.8 is only 700 2nd hand if its the 1-touch version.
2-touch version is about 1k+ 2nd hand. just for ur info if u do decide on a telephoto lens :)

seems like you like low noise and super zooms. nikon d40/x or d80 with 18-200vr should fit your budget and needs well. :D

Well, an additional point to consider (maybe just a minor detail). What would you mostly be using your camera for?

When I see this thread, I remember a conversation I had a few weeks ago. My friend told me that he is really interested to get a DSLR for himself as he simply loves photography. He's also torn between a prosumer and a DSLR. But as he loves to go backpacking everywhere as well, it is not so convenient for him to lug a big and heavy DSLR around. My point is, think what would you be using your camera for? Is there any of your needs that can only be met by DSLR? To me, DSLR is a long time investment. It is not simply about getting a camera, but a way to express yourself through the photos that you have taken. And soon you'll start buying new lenses and accessories to play with. :bsmilie: If you are really serious about photography, buying an entry- or mid-level DSLR and work up from there is a good idea.

if u are on budget, can consider 2nd hand lens too.
and the 80-200 f2.8 is only 700 2nd hand if its the 1-touch version.
2-touch version is about 1k+ 2nd hand. just for ur info if u do decide on a telephoto lens :)

Thanks. I will read up on that.

seems like you like low noise and super zooms. nikon d40/x or d80 with 18-200vr should fit your budget and needs well. :D

Thanks for the info. Will consider the combi.

Well, an additional point to consider (maybe just a minor detail). What would you mostly be using your camera for?

When I see this thread, I remember a conversation I had a few weeks ago. My friend told me that he is really interested to get a DSLR for himself as he simply loves photography. He's also torn between a prosumer and a DSLR. But as he loves to go backpacking everywhere as well, it is not so convenient for him to lug a big and heavy DSLR around. My point is, think what would you be using your camera for? Is there any of your needs that can only be met by DSLR? To me, DSLR is a long time investment. It is not simply about getting a camera, but a way to express yourself through the photos that you have taken. And soon you'll start buying new lenses and accessories to play with. :bsmilie: If you are really serious about photography, buying an entry- or mid-level DSLR and work up from there is a good idea.

Well, I don really travel overseas often, and never backpack before. Lugging a heavy DSLR around shouldn't be the biggest issue. If I need mobility I can always use my Cybershot handphone to snap.

I would say I should be using my camera for the following situations:

1) Action photography of children mostly indoors, low light conditions
2) Portraits in family gatherings and events like wedding
3) Creative shots involving objects, people and landscapes
4) Learn and explore more into photography in different scenarios.

prosumer la....

dun get the dslr unless u are ready to take the plunge...

take some serious thought into it

Status
Not open for further replies.