DSLR or Prosumer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikonnew

May 31, 2005
Yet another DSLR or Prosumer questions

I have used P n S camera for a few years and have recently toyed with the idea of buying into DSLR for more control and creative space. I have got my hands on a film SLR from a friend and has a 28-100 mm and 70 - 300 mm lens. Really like the various control on the aperture, shutter speed and a more accurate control over the zoom that I have with a SLR.

1) Interest – Architecture, streets and people ( and have not got into the idea of going close to the people subjects due to the fear of intruding into another's space, so have resort to using the 70-300 mm lens for such shots – maybe shy lah)

2) have also preference for b/w photography

3) I realise I have not really buy into the idea of lugging around both the lens, I don’t mind lugging around the cam with the 300 mm lens , but do not like the idea of carrying both. Weight is not a problem , but carrying a whole bag of loose barang barang is proving to be a turn off.

4) Considering buying one of the following

- Pentax DL
- Fujifilm 9500
- Samsung 815

5) Do not see myself printing anything more then A4 size paper (do not know how many R this is?)

6)Not really considering Panasonic FZ 20/30 or Canon S1 or Sony H1 due to the need for at least a 28mm for architecture

7) From what I have written above, I guess I have written myself into the choice of one of the prosumers listed above, but if there is a huge limitation for the prosumers as compared to the DSLR in terms of control and picture quality, I will still choose the DSLR path.

Would like to get some advise of what is the limitation of a Prosumer (Fujifilm or Samsung) as compare to DSLR, what really is the gap we are looking at in terms of picture quality (for A4 size and below) and control?

Am looking into doing a project to capture the various places in Singapore (be it street or tourist attractions), have seen somebody doing a picture blog of such nature in China and really taken in by the idea.

Specically for the above need, what would be the good way to start;

1) DSLR ?
2) Prosumer + film SLR ?
3) PnS + Film SLR ?

Any advise would be welcome… and apology for the long message

It would depends heavily on your budget at present. I can see that you are looking at prosumers around the $800+ price range. (A4 size is slightly bigger than a 8x10 )

The main issue with prosumers is that you are stuck with 1 lens permanently. If you want to change focal lengths you have to rely on teleconverters and might degrade image quality. Most 5mp prosumers would be ok for prints up to A4 though. But after a while you might feel the need to upgrade and re-selling and buying a DLSR would cost you even more.

If you want to jump to the SLR route you must budget for the lens and acessories. Since you seem to focus on architecture you would need wide angle lenses. Street/people can be covered suffceintly with a kit lens. For your budget i'd suggest going for a second hand film body. that would leave you with at least $500 for acessories + a decent lens.

You could also start with a digi compact and use it for more 'expermental shots' to learn with before buying a SLR/DLSR. I started with a compact and bought a film when i wanted to get more serious. Beware when you take the SLR route though as only the storngest can resist the upgrade virus...

raptor84 said:
It would depends heavily on your budget at present. I can see that you are looking at prosumers around the $800+ price range. (A4 size is slightly bigger than a 8x10 )

The main issue with prosumers is that you are stuck with 1 lens permanently. If you want to change focal lengths you have to rely on teleconverters and might degrade image quality. Most 5mp prosumers would be ok for prints up to A4 though. But after a while you might feel the need to upgrade and re-selling and buying a DLSR would cost you even more.

If you want to jump to the SLR route you must budget for the lens and acessories. Since you seem to focus on architecture you would need wide angle lenses. Street/people can be covered suffceintly with a kit lens. For your budget i'd suggest going for a second hand film body. that would leave you with at least $500 for acessories + a decent lens.

You could also start with a digi compact and use it for more 'expermental shots' to learn with before buying a SLR/DLSR. I started with a compact and bought a film when i wanted to get more serious. Beware when you take the SLR route though as only the storngest can resist the upgrade virus...

thanks for the advise, i already have a couple of film cams, although looking to sell my F80. I think i can resist the lure of bbb virus (seriously, i know i could resist)......still in a fix as to which way to go.....i am really resisting and probably will wait till the next IT show to shop for deals

Generally IT show prices can be the same if not more than normal. Its just that they throw in more freebies to justify the prices. YOu would be able to find decent prices of cameras from any of the usual haunts of the CS members.

Taken from Nikon Price Guide
AP - Alan Photo, #01-38 Sim Lim Square, Tel: 6336 0922, e-mail: alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
AP-F - Alan Photo, #05-20 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6883 0922, e-mail: alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
CP - Cathay Photo, #01-11/14 Peninsula Plaza, Tel: 6337 4274, e-mail: email@cathayphoto.com.sg
John - John 3:16, #03-37 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6337 2877 / 6337 1897, e-mail: richardgan@pacific.net.sg
Lord's - Lord's Camera, 304 Orchard Road #01-79 Lucky Plaza, Tel: 6235 4605, e-mail: lordscom@singnet.com.sg
MS - MS Colour, Block 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C, Tel: 6457 6380, e-mail: sales@mscolor.com.sg, web e-quote
TCW - The Camera Workshop, 3 Coleman Street, #01-31, Tel: 6336 1956 / 6336 7808, e-mail: tcwkshop@singnet.com.sg
TK - T K Foto Technic, 100 Beach Rd, #02-45 Shaw Towers, Tel: 6292 4533, e-mail: sales@tkfoto.com.sg

probably i will get the Pentax DL, has an itch fo it for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.