DSLR or Prosumer models

• Thread starter strawberry-shortcake
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

strawberry-shortcake

As an amateur user, if i would to upgrade, what should be my next camera, a prosumer model or an entry level DSLR camera?
What are the pro and con of these different type of consumer? thks.

I sense the regulars are gonna say - you cannot take video with a DSLR and you cannot view and take pictures with a DSLR's LCD ... :bsmilie:

Seriously, when considering a DSLR, its buying into the system.

Once you're in a system, its hard to get out and it'll cost you $$$ if you do. :sweat:

if you are really really really really really interested in photography, and have no intention of turning back. Get a DSLR, no point getting a prosumer and upgrade in future, lose money

hi,

you have already started a similar thread on this earlier:
here

strawberry-shortcake said:
As an amateur user, if i would to upgrade, what should be my next camera, a prosumer model or an entry level DSLR camera?
What are the pro and con of these different type of consumer? thks.
1st of all, how much are u willing to spend on this hobby? A fixed, 1-off cost? No limit?

2ndly, how much interest do u have? There are ppl who spent $3K on a DSLR setup and can't take a single proper snapshot and start to curse photography. There are ppl who spent $1.5K on a DSLR setup and never regretted and moved onto better and better pictures. :)

3rdly, the process of learning never ends. How much are u willing to listen & learn? There are impaitent ones who want 'instant results', there are paitent ones who can take 1000 shots in 1 year and there's only 1 or 2 keeper shots. Which are u? :)

If u think u dun wanna spend so much, get a fixed zoom-lens prosumer camera. Its cheaper as a startup (below $1K) and gives u much more options to explore. I've got friends on prosumers shooting great photos. Dun look down on a camera's capability simply because of its branding ("Consumer, Prosumer, Professional" labels), the difference between these 3 levels is how much flexibility in control (plus bells & whistles) the manufacturer wants to give u and how u are going to work around these limits.

If you are unsure...Prosumer is always your choice (because when you are not sure what to get, you are not ready for serious photography).

tunster said:
If you are unsure...Prosumer is always your choice (because when you are not sure what to get, you are not ready for serious photography).

Then also cannot be unsure when deciding between camera lenses or models? :sweatsm:
Means you are not ready! :nono: hehehe j/k

tunster said:

Well-said... Unless of cos u have $$ to burn without feeling pain.

not to 4get the amount of tings u need to carry ard..

When unsure, get the most expensive.

espn said:

yeah........spend...

the only way to know that the money is yrs is by spending it away..haha....

save up to get the best, upgrading will cost more in the end and waste more money only.

espn said:

haha .. espn there u go again.. injecting virus in ppl mind. :bsmilie:
where the "BBB" qoute?

Prosumer = All-in-one digital camera bundled with video cam capabilities. Supposedly to be superior than the usual Point-N-Shoot camera. Absolutely idiot-proof unless user still needs to refer to Prosumer Camera for Dummies.

DSLR = For hobbyist and photographer who appreciates and enjoy the end results. Serious in phototaking and keep learning for improvement.
Note: Well known as expensive hobby. Beware of the buying influence.

espn said:

Are you trying to save the world's economy with your BBB virus?>:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

prosumer is like not here nor there. its nt that big an improvement over pns while short of dslrs in many ways.

skip it and get dslr since a d50 is cheaper thn a prosumer + accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.