DSLR or Proconsumer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_oasis

Aug 31, 2002
Not sure if this question has been raised before?

Working along the budget of about 1k+, looking for a gift for a photogragher buddy of mine.

Right now he carries a ixus60, 'retired' from SLR long time ago after busy with work. Currently hinted his interest in going back to photograghy again.

What will make a good gift?:bsmilie:

hi,

since ur budget is ard 1k+ why nt buy a DSLR for him? since u mentioned he's a SLR user b4. it shd work fine for him to use a DSLR nw. u can try AlanPhoto or Cathay shops.

maybe olympus E-500 is good..my friend's using it. it feels great. much better thn prosumer grip. =P

jus my two cents worth of comments. ;)

Do note that the kit lens that comes with the DSLR is usually not a good lens. Your friend will end up buying more lens, flash, filters etc... that will add up more than the initial cost. So u might want to ask if your friend want to invest after that or not.

hi,

since ur budget is ard 1k+ why nt buy a DSLR for him? since u mentioned he's a SLR user b4. it shd work fine for him to use a DSLR nw. u can try AlanPhoto or Cathay shops.

maybe olympus E-500 is good..my friend's using it. it feels great. much better thn prosumer grip. =P

jus my two cents worth of comments. ;)

I agree totally with BinGx here.

At the price you mentioned I think you could get the E-500 with the 2 lens kit.

A very worthy camera and lens combo.

Cheers :)

It's a common misconception by newbies that 1K+ is enough for a DSLR system.

Olympus DSLRs which have an image sensors much smaller than the APS-C size? Yes, smaller and easier to handle. But before anyone jumps to buy, better be familiar with the big disadvantages vis-a-vis the usual DSLRs with APS-C size sensors.

Read this DSLR for newbie thread written by Zoossh : http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=245883

Honestly... Get him a Sony H-5 or Canon S3IS.

d40 is just nice for your budget. :thumbsup:
well, at least for the 18-55 and d40 itself...

d40 is just nice for your budget. :thumbsup:
well, at least for the 18-55 and d40 itself...

How much would that put me back? Will he be able to use his old slr lens with this combo?

Canon S3 was something I was looking at too :) price wise?

How much would that put me back? Will he be able to use his old slr lens with this combo?

Canon S3 was something I was looking at too :) price wise?

On a D40, you only can use AF if you have the higher-end Nikon AF-S or AF-i lenses. So the D40 with it's kit lens may be cheap, but additional lenses will quickly bankrupt you.

may I suggest you dont buy a camera for him?

if he is a serious photographer in the past, he probably knows his stuff, and if you just go and buy him some camera that he doesn't like, it'd be a bad situation because he'd be forced to use the camera, but yearning for something else. I think cameras are a rather personal thing for most photographers. if you're buying for casual shooters then it's different.

just my opinion.

if he is a serious photographer in the past, he probably knows his stuff, and if you just go and buy him some camera that he doesn't like, it'd be a bad situation because he'd be forced to use the camera, but yearning for something else. I think cameras are a rather personal thing for most photographers. if you're buying for casual shooters then it's different.

just my opinion.

totally agree :thumbsup:
and he probably wont sell the camera even if he doesnt likes it since its a gift

totally agree :thumbsup:
and he probably wont sell the camera even if he doesnt likes it since its a gift

double that..If a serious photographer he would find the way to manage to get one..don't waste your money on this..Hope it helps..

just my opinion.

Strongly agree with the above.

Although many people yearns to own a DSLR, I'm put off by its size, weight and care needed to maintain the system.

Different people have different needs and preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.