DSLR or Micro 4/3?

vinnov4

Jul 19, 2010
Hi! I'm thinking of getting an Olympus E-PL1 as my first camera.

But for a little bit more, I can have a D5000.

I'll mostly use it when I travel and some family gatherings.

Which one would be better value for money?

Hi! I'm thinking of getting an Olympus E-PL1 as my first camera.

But for a little bit more, I can have a D5000.

I'll mostly use it when I travel and some family gatherings.

Which one would be better value for money?

It really depends on your shooting style, and your preferences dude.

Define need and wants ... and don't confuse both. Have hands-on checks in shops, decide how much gear you are willing to carry.

But which of the two would be a better investment?

E-PL1 or D5000?

The best investment would be the one you're willing to use to take pictures you want to keep. Otherwise, neither are good "investments" as they both depreciate in value starting from the moment you hand over your money. (Which is the same for most things such as computers and cars.)

The best investment would be the one you're willing to use to take pictures you want to keep. Otherwise, neither are good "investments" as they both depreciate in value starting from the moment you hand over your money. (Which is the same for most things such as computers and cars.)

Well said ! There is a book by world renowned photographer Chase Jarvis entitled, "The Best Camera Is The One That’s With You". I think it boils down to which one would you be most likely be bringing along everywhere you go. :)

E-PL1 or D5000?

The one that you're more comfortable shooting with after TRYING BOTH.

Simple, right?

If all you're looking at is "investment" then you're in the wrong hobby entirely.

E-PL1 or D5000?

putting money into the bank would be a better investment, because after 1 year you will have at least the same amount of money, but likely a bit more.
You use that money to buy a camera, and 1 year later you can only sell off the camera for a fraction of the purchase price. So how is that a good investment?

If you're asking about which one would make a better buy, well... like many have advised, it's up to your personal preference.

This is a pretty simple question. Here is a pretty simple answer. Try both and buy the one you are comfortable with.

You don't invest, you spend.
Spending wisely means evaluating your needs and buy accordingly. Do you need those features , functions and possibilities that DSLR offer or are your requirements well covered by what the m4/3 camera offers?

I think I'd really need to try both (in the shop) so I can decide. That is if the shop will allow me to try, ha ha!

Thanks to all!

I think I'd really need to try both (in the shop) so I can decide. That is if the shop will allow me to try, ha ha!

Thanks to all!

If they don't allow you to try, just walk out of the shop. Go to those places like courts or harvey norman to get a feel of the display set. Just don't buy from them as their selling price can be quite pricey. Get a quote so you will roughly know what is the market price. Don't buy on impulse. Remember buy what you like, not what the salesman like.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have decided (I think:bsmilie:) on getting a D5000.

This is my only choice for now budget wise.

Now, I'm thinking which one would be better:

D5000 body + 35mm f/1.8g prime lens

or

D5000 Kitlens 18-55 + 35mm f/1.8g prime lens

Any suggestions? I basically want a general purpose lens.

18-200mm would be a more general purpose lens?

but 18-55mm is good as well to start off.
i'm using a d5000 with 18-55mm.

using a prime. u might not feel comfortable with it as it is fixed.

Hi all,

or

D5000 + Kit lens will be good enough for now.

Get the 35/1.8 later when you know what you are doing. It will not run away from you. You can even buy used and save money.

Hi,

I think DSLR vs Micro 4/3 are very different.

I am a newbie to photography and I just bought my D90 so I might be able to understand your exciting dillemma. I considered a E-PL1, D5000, D90 and even Canon 550D.

I omitted E-PL1 because I actually prefer holding the heavier body of a dlsr and also the range of lens I can pick for a dslr, but I can tell you that I am still tempted sometimes. Afterall, which boy will claim to have enough toys? I eventually pick Nikon D90 over the rest only because I like its feel (and the brand nikon) and I never regretted one bit.

Like what manakoleng mentioned, the best camera is the one that is with you. You have to go out and hold it in your hands and decided which one you like holding most. Take 2 to 3 months if necessary and make several trips, you may be surprised to feel that the same camera that you were so initially fascinated with, does not feel as nice on the 2nd/3rd time.

There is just so much information online. This is a great review site for research, which I am sure most people in this forum knows about.
http://www.dpreview.com/

And last but not least, this forum should be more than enough.

But one thing I thought I should share with you. I have 2 friends who bought D5000, and who later became more serious but thought D90 would be a better buy as it is only a top-up of $200 to $300. I can't exactly understand why but one of the 2 friends attended a photography class and the instructor had mentioned some of the things that can't be performed with D5000, that a D90 can do. I can try to find out more about it.

Hi all,

or

But one thing I thought I should share with you. I have 2 friends who bought D5000, and who later became more serious but thought D90 would be a better buy as it is only a top-up of $200 to $300. I can't exactly understand why but one of the 2 friends attended a photography class and the instructor had mentioned some of the things that can't be performed with D5000, that a D90 can do. I can try to find out more about it.

The most significant thing the D90 have over the D5k is that D90 can autofocus with AF-D lenses as it comes with a in-body screwdrive AF motor. The D5k can only autofocus with lenses with built in motors (in lens) which are usually more expensive than their AF-D equivalents. But that said, there are many lenses (including 3rd party) that have built-in AF motors. And some people never venture beyond 2-3 lenses. So in the end, it all comes down to your needs and how far you want to take it. That said, the image quality of both D90 and D5k are almost identical.

Last edited: