DSLR or Compact for backpacking trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

untitled-ego

Deregistered
Jun 27, 2007
Sembawang
hi guys, i am quite new to the world of photography and i was wondering what do you guys normally bring when you go for backpacking. I am planning to go from singapore by bus and train to thailand in a couple of weeks time and was wondering which to bring and safe or nt to bring.

i have a D40X with kit lens or my fuijiflim compact Z5 =)

thanks!!

Bring both! You can use the Z5 for snapshots/contingency/movie and the D40x for more defined picture taking.

hi , for me i will bring Dslr anytime , more over ur d40x is also veri compact .

agree with this :thumbsup:
if its a compact, why not bring both... you can pass it to your travelmates who don't have a cam.

Bring both! You can use the Z5 for snapshots/contingency/movie and the D40x for more defined picture taking.

agreed
i dont thing you'll have a prob as both are considerably light cameras compared to other dslrs, and since you are only taking ur kit lens along, itll be fine

i was wondering which be best of cos nt both haha..cus backpacking so wouldnt wanna carry so much mah!!..

what are u looking for? If what u want is like (if I'm correct) most people in trip who just want to see their face smiling at you with bus seats in the background, go for a compact camera. Its more useful actually. You can take macro, shoot in P, sports, and some other modes. If you are looking for quality, want to shoot with aperture priority to blur background, etc. take ur DSRL. For me, I'll take both. what is the purpose of ur trip...doesn't seems like a photography trip to me...

what are u looking for? If what u want is like (if I'm correct) most people in trip who just want to see their face smiling at you with bus seats in the background, go for a compact camera. Its more useful actually. You can take macro, shoot in P, sports, and some other modes. If you are looking for quality, want to shoot with aperture priority to blur background, etc. take ur DSRL. For me, I'll take both. what is the purpose of ur trip...doesn't seems like a photography trip to me...

well jsut backpacking with a few frieds to see the world and i wanan snap away. tts why cant decide. must consider if i get mugged also haha

well jsut backpacking with a few frieds to see the world and i wanan snap away. tts why cant decide. must consider if i get mugged also haha

You're not going to a war zone, so I woudn't be too worried about getting mugged. Also, you're travelling in a group so that increases your safety level a little.

I vote to bring both.

do read up more abt the country n all,preferbly from fellow backpackers. also, factor in the place u will be staying, cos there are times where u wun be able to guard ur prize possessions. i learnt an expensive lesson on my last trip to laos n northern thailand. if u are travelling in a grp with non-photographers, perhaps u may jus wanna bring ur fuji n enjoy the trip :)

well true.. i be staying in a backpackers inn so, i think probably just one if going to a 3 star hotel then i bring both haha. scenery shots with my kit lens be nice i feel. but just snap shots z5 will do great. anyone have had experience? i am going with my sch mates over on the holiday. they will be bring normal pt shoot cameras i suppose :p

well true.. i be staying in a backpackers inn so, i think probably just one if going to a 3 star hotel then i bring both haha. scenery shots with my kit lens be nice i feel. but just snap shots z5 will do great. anyone have had experience? i am going with my sch mates over on the holiday. they will be bring normal pt shoot cameras i suppose :p

bad incident can happen at any place, any time, it happened to one my friend even that was a 4-star hotel in thailand. make sure you do some research before heading to your destination or hotel. i would recommend you to read up reviews on the backpacker's inn that you are planning to stay. if the reviews mentioned theft incidents on that particular hotel, just avoid that. i believe your gear should be always on you when you are moving around, so it should be safe, be it a pns or dslr. i always do some homework before traveling and so far all the trips have been a pleasant one.

when travel to a third world country, try to avoid their porter service (even at airport) or if you really have to use the service, keep valuables with you, in this case, your camera, wallet and passport.

i would bring a digital cam (DSLR since i do not have a compact digicam) and also a film camera. See my list here :)

I recomm bring both the dSLR and the compact..
You'll find both very useful in different situations..

Enjoy the trip! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.