DSLR operating in low temperatures?

zozzcyx

Aug 19, 2010
Singapore
Hi fellow photographers! I am thinking of bringing my 5DM2 and 500D to China this year end where it might be snowing. Just wondering if anyone out there have experienced any issues with their DSLRs in sub zero conditions and have got any tips to share? Thanks! :)

Shouldn't be any issue, just that the battery will deplete very fast. Get more batteries on standby.

This topic has been discussed over and over again.. if somehow you don't manage to find the "Search" button, im sure you can find the sticky on this problem..

search around in Travel section

..... and as suggested by some genius here......use a ziploc bag when going between indoors and outdoors to cut out lens condensation build up

Oh thanks guys for the info, will pay more attention next time, still exploring around here :)

No worries man.

a 5DM2 and a L lens?

Lagi no worries!

If temperature is an issue, go Daiso buy those heat packs at 4 for $2 that can last up to 8hrs to warm ur hands and camera.

Seriously, every year when autumn/winter starts in the northern countries, this question comes up about 50 times.
TS should get an award for being the first one this year :) Maybe CS can also give awards for F1 questions, Comex/IT Fair, NDP fireworks and other repeating seasonal topics :)

TS should get an award for being the first one this year :) Maybe CS can also give awards for F1 questions, Comex/IT Fair, NDP fireworks and other repeating seasonal topics :)

Maybe a gold star as the avatar? :angel:

TS, use the search function next time, you'll get lots more information that way.

As for your question, my D300 shot in -17 degree celcius temperatures (moutain top, snow) in South Korea last December and survived.