DSLR noob here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

medallion

Aug 8, 2005
West
My mummy sponsoring cam...so...i would like to ask:

Which of the following cams is best suited for me?

Nikon D50 (Some features missing unlike its elder brother, D70s)
Nikon D70/D70s
Canon 350D

I have already grown out of my compact digicam, the Olympus C350 3.2MPX cam.
Since she is sponsoring, i dun wanna eat too much of the money lor...i set my budget to be around below 1700 (Liddat Canon cannot buy le lehz)

Please advise...

Erm, if you don't want to spend so much money then why bother getting a dSLR in the first place? And the $1700 you're going to spend is not a one shot thing, you still have to purchase extra lenses, flashes (please don't tell me you won't be getting these, cause if not then theres no point in getting a dSLR, its a system). And I've hope you've done your homework in the differences between a dSLR and normal compact cameras.

Why not just invest in a prosumer camera?

n0d3 said:
Erm, if you don't want to spend so much money then why bother getting a dSLR in the first place? And the $1700 you're going to spend is not a one shot thing, you still have to purchase extra lenses, flashes (please don't tell me you won't be getting these, cause if not then theres no point in getting a dSLR, its a system). And I've hope you've done your homework in the differences between a dSLR and normal compact cameras.

Why not just invest in a prosumer camera?

Already prepared to slog myself out for those extra lenses...i agree budget too low lor...but its my mother who gonna sponsor(cannot eat too much of her money)

Well...if that is the case...i tink i rather buy Panasonic FZ30 lor...

If you're prepared to fork out money for yourself for the extra things then good for you. The things you'll be losing out on when you get a dSLR would be mainly no 'live' LCD preview, no movie mode, probably more dull images (it gives you the flexibility to post process it afterwards). Well I guess the main question is where your interest in photography lies and whether the amount of money you spend is justified.

So if you're prepared, then you just have to pick a system (Nikon, Canon, etc.). The Canon 350D is a good start but some may find the camera too small for their liking and the kit lens is well, so so although it can give you great photos when used properly. IMHO the kit lens on the D70s is more versatile and image quality from the kit lens is defintely better than the one that comes with the 350D. Well its up to you.

n0d3 said:
If you're prepared to fork out money for yourself for the extra things then good for you. The things you'll be losing out on when you get a dSLR would be mainly no 'live' LCD preview, no movie mode, probably more dull images (it gives you the flexibility to post process it afterwards). Well I guess the main question is where your interest in photography lies and whether the amount of money you spend is justified.

So if you're prepared, then you just have to pick a system (Nikon, Canon, etc.). The Canon 350D is a good start but some may find the camera too small for their liking and the kit lens is well, so so although it can give you great photos when used properly. IMHO the kit lens on the D70s is more versatile and image quality from the kit lens is defintely better than the one that comes with the 350D. Well its up to you.

No live LCD -- Heck care
Cannot take movie -- cant be bothered coz i rather take with video cam

So is the Nikon D50 a good cam to start off?

n0d3 said:
I think the D70s would be a better buy because of the better resale value and a better kit lens although the D50 has several advantages over the D70s. And the D50 uses an SD card while the D70s uses CF cards.

Check out this thread:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=146181&highlight=D70s

Geezz...thx...i will come back here to dig more info...thx :)

I suggest you get the D50 kit then.

At $1288 with free 1gig SD card, you have enough left over for a flash (eg SB600 only $350).

As a start, the D50 is great. You can always upgrade the body later. In fact many do. Kit lens is good enough for start too. I seen many D70s owners sell off their kit lens so what's so big deal between D50 and D70 kit lens? It's a kit lens and many people find it good enough while some will never be satisfied cos they want more pro lens. Save money also for better lens later. Eg. i had bought additional 70-30mm lens for additional zoom cos the 18-55 mm kit lens is good enough for the wide side for now.

you could also do what I did - get a D50 body and then a used D70 kit lens. Total cost me $1400.

John Khoo said:
I suggest you get the D50 kit then.

At $1288 with free 1gig SD card, you have enough left over for a flash (eg SB600 only $350).

As a start, the D50 is great. You can always upgrade the body later. In fact many do. Kit lens is good enough for start too. I seen many D70s owners sell off their kit lens so what's so big deal between D50 and D70 kit lens? It's a kit lens and many people find it good enough while some will never be satisfied cos they want more pro lens. Save money also for better lens later. Eg. i had bought additional 70-30mm lens for additional zoom cos the 18-55 mm kit lens is good enough for the wide side for now.

What I was thinking is that the D70s offers more features than the D50 and the better kit lens with the D70s allows him to kill two birds with one stone in the sense that he doesn't need to upgrade if he feels the D50 is too basic/lacking and the better kit lens that comes with the D70s can defintely produce stunning photos so it saves him the money in needing to buy an additional lens anytime soon.

Or you could always go with red_ryder's idea.

n0d3 said:
What I was thinking is that the D70s offers more features than the D50 and the better kit lens with the D70s allows him to kill two birds with one stone in the sense that he doesn't need to upgrade if he feels the D50 is too basic/lacking and the better kit lens that comes with the D70s can defintely produce stunning photos so it saves him the money in needing to buy an additional lens anytime soon.

Or you could always go with red_ryder's idea.

That will see how my money goes lor...thx guys anyway...great help. ;)

red_ryder said:
you could also do what I did - get a D50 body and then a used D70 kit lens. Total cost me $1400.

SMART! :D

Just wanna ask, wat is the purpose of wireless flash?

if you have good photog frens... then can consider 2nd hand... ask them to take a look at the camera for you... think that 2nd hand D70 kit is 1.1k for now... D70s would be slightly more...

but ultimately it's up to you i guess... my 2cents worth

JediForce4ever said:
If it were me....I would go for the D70s....higher resale value and for a beginner like you: 2'' LCD.

I kinda agree on tat...will look into it...thx.

why dont u work out how much budget u really have, excluding your mum's sponsorship?
List out your item list and their individual price....
For example:
D50 body with lens : $1400
SB600 : $400? (I dunno Nikon prices sori)
CF card : $140 (1G)
extra batteries.....
camara bag.....
tripod......
bounce card?

just add them up and decide for youself whether u are able and want to spend that kind of $. From the total amount, u might want to add another 50% - 100% for near future upgrading bcoz u wont be satisfied with your current setup I'm pretty sure. U will start to look for more lens and other accessories....so as what some fellow CSers had said, its not a 1 stop purchasing coz the force is very big and evil out there....;)

medallion said:
Just wanna ask, wat is the purpose of wireless flash?

Remotely trigger another flash or set of flashes. Good for portraiture and close up still shots. In this area I have to bias towards Nikon.

If you start off fresh, I would say go with Canon 350D. Better features, newer model. Let put it this way, I am a Nikon user which find the other side getting more enticing for the switch.

medallion said:
My mummy sponsoring cam...so...i would like to ask:

Which of the following cams is best suited for me?

Nikon D50 (Some features missing unlike its elder brother, D70s)
Nikon D70/D70s
Canon 350D

I have already grown out of my compact digicam, the Olympus C350 3.2MPX cam.
Since she is sponsoring, i dun wanna eat too much of the money lor...i set my budget to be around below 1700 (Liddat Canon cannot buy le lehz)

Please advise...

Canon list price is $1999 but get an equote from MS color, as it will be less than that.
http://mscolor.com.sg/

and you will get a quote in about two days latest. When you decide to buy go look for Mr Loh or Florence. I am a regular there.

Cheers and welcome to the world of photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.