DSLR newbie: A Good Lens to add to the kit len

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

Apr 28, 2005
Just bought a Canon 300D with the kit lens to start off this hobby.

Like to know what will be a good len to add or even replace the kit lens for street photography ? Any advise. :)

Add: EF 50 f/1.8 MKII

Replace: EF 17-40L f/4 or EF 24-70L f/2.8

buck said:

Like to know what will be a good len to add or even replace the kit lens for street photography ? Any advise. :)

Mandatory lens: Canon 50mm F1.8 II :)
Walkaround (i.e. street photography) : Tamron 28-75 F2.8 or Tamron 18-200 Di II

budiman said:
Mandatory lens: Canon 50mm F1.8 II :)
Walkaround (i.e. street photography) : Tamron 28-75 F2.8 or Tamron 18-200 Di II
Not true, I never used my 50mm at all. Really depends on your style.

espn said:
Add: EF 50 f/1.8 MKII

Replace: EF 17-40L f/4 or EF 24-70L f/2.8
Totally agree.

If got extra cash and don't know how to spend, throw in a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS U :)

Vulpix0r said:
Not true, I never used my 50mm at all. Really depends on your style.

but you did buy the lens, that makes it mandatory.. ;)

buck said:

I use Tamron 28-75 F2.8 as a replacement (kit lens) for street photography

Hi, I am a newbie also. So, are you guys saying that should get a 28-75. Can you let me know how much does it cost and where should I go to get the best bargain. Thinking of adding a flash in, any recommendation?

if one is still unaware of which range he often shoots, or needs to shoot at etc, getting any lens out there which people recommend is going to be getting you nowhere.
The kits lens itself is quite a useful range, 18-55mm translates into 29-88mm for 1.6x crop factor bodies.

for buck's case, there's no rule that he needs a wide angle for street photography.

pengsoon said:
Hi, I am a newbie also. So, are you guys saying that should get a 28-75. Can you let me know how much does it cost and where should I go to get the best bargain. Thinking of adding a flash in, any recommendation?

u may like to keep the kit lens and add EF 70-200 f4L USM

Get a 28-300mm. No regrets. ;)

pengsoon said:

Go check the prices at the canon website.
http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fuseaction=digitalcamera&prod_type=lenses#
Their prices range from S$160 to S$22k.
(I personally think you can get a little cheaper at SimLim Square or other Camera shops, but at least, you can get some rough estimate of the price of these lenses produced by Canon)

Hi, I heard that the longer range lens are of inferior quality compare to a narrow range. Not sure, maybe since I am new, may not be able to tell the difference.

If the quality are similar, then will prefer the longer range ones.

I think its better to stick to your kit lens till you find out what's limiting your shots. Then you know the exact lens to buy. Rather than just asking around and get confused as everyone will have different recommendations for different purpose.

meng said:
if one is still unaware of which range he often shoots, or needs to shoot at etc, getting any lens out there which people recommend is going to be getting you nowhere.
The kits lens itself is quite a useful range, 18-55mm translates into 29-88mm for 1.6x crop factor bodies.

for buck's case, there's no rule that he needs a wide angle for street photography.

I agree with you.

IMHO, shoot with your kit lens. Then find out later what range you like to shoot with. Some like wide... some tele.

If you want to test more, can get a 70-300 sigma for the tele range and marco.

buy what you need. why listen to others?

when u feel that you need a longer reach, get telephoto lens.
when u feel that you need a wider angle, get a wide-angle lens.
at that point of time, then decide on which lens to buy.

get a Hyper-Zoom Compact Lens - Sigma 28-300mm.

Splutter said:
I think its better to stick to your kit lens till you find out what's limiting your shots. Then you know the exact lens to buy. Rather than just asking around and get confused as everyone will have different recommendations for different purpose.

Well said.

You have to find out your style, is it WA or Tele,
since the kit lens already covers quite a nice range,
i suggest that you keep it for now.

if you have money to spend but don't know what to buy.
I suggest getting a tripod first, dry cabi, good bag or an external flash
to comlete your basic starter system.

ortega said:
Well said.

You have to find out your style, is it WA or Tele,
since the kit lens already covers quite a nice range,
i suggest that you keep it for now.

if you have money to spend but don't know what to buy.
I suggest getting a tripod first, dry cabi, good bag or an external flash
to comlete your basic starter system.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Like what some of you recommended on the kit lens, I have tried it over last weekend. The results are great. :)

Also tried a Canon 70-300mm, loan from a neighbour, nice len to cover the long range. Just dont like the idea of changing lens while on the move.

Got most of the items, tripod, ext flash to complete the starter system.

Any recommendation on dry box or cabi ? Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.