Status
Not open for further replies.

notone

Nov 12, 2003
biopolis
report year in chart. -1 year for real sale stat

first, market share:
DSLR_market_share.jpg

second, sales growth (by unit %) camera bodies including all lens interchangeable models.
DSLR_sales1.jpg

you will have your own judgement, not of your interests

Last edited:
When did Panasonic start to make dSLR cameras?

From the chart, I can see Pentax did better this year than last year :D Even count in those EVILs, Pentax' market share is still climbing :cool:

From these statistical diagrams, one can conclude that the majority only follow what is popular / branded from brainwashing commercials. Enough said. :cool:

When did Panasonic start to make dSLR cameras?

From the chart, I can see Pentax did better this year than last year :D Even count in those EVILs, Pentax' market share is still climbing :cool:

i think 2nd chart is about cam bodies including DSLR so include PnS as well right?

also..if i refer to the 1st chart..nikkon market share is falling..mean nikkon no gd?

for 2nd chart..if i am not wrong..growth is based on (increase in this year's cam sold)/(Total cam sold last year)..so a high growth could also be because of low no sold last yr

I think stats are like bikini..they reveal alot of things except the most impt points :bsmilie:

Also for 2010 data - is it based on 1Q or 1H as 2010 have not ended yet?
Best to have show charts of both "Number sold" as well as "% growth".
A very large base like Canon and maybe small base in Panasonic makes a lot of difference in the chart.

it is amusing to read replies:)
not biased though.

if you can not judge on points (because you disfavor the conclusion? ), speak loud: big picture! men, you should look at biggerrrrr picture!!!! %$#%$#%$%
if you can not judge on an over view (because you disfavor the conclusion again?) speak loud: smaller bikini! men, you can see nothing with bigger bikini! #%$#%$#%$

and if you can not read the charts clearly, read additional descriptions.
if still can not, my fault:)
I repeat 2 points here again:
1, it reports on sales of year 2006-2009 globally.
2, all lens interchangeable bodies included, such as EP and GF, but not P&S, such as G/S/ixus/A. the digi will make some people here go even more #$@$#!!! if P&S included.

I guess many of us do not run company, not buy stocks as well. even though, I would say you may be able to come to something like this with whatever view you have: pentax did not do a good job to catch up the bloom of "DLSR" popularization in past few years, no increase in market share, no increase in sales.

Before I got into digital photography I have never heard of Pentax. The other brands in the graph I have heard of to some extent. Of course if I have limited amount of money to spend I would go with the safer bet which would be at least a brand that I have heard of before.

Yeah, I guess Hoya is telling lies, right?

http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/investor/investor_09_22.html

Quote from Quarterly Report for the three months ended Mar. 31, 2010

In the digital camera area, the number of single-lens reflex cameras sold sharply increased from the previous year, and overall sales rose despite fierce price competition with other companies. As a result, sales for the quarter in this segment stood at 25,920 million yen. As for operating income and loss, the effects of cost cutting achieved via reorganization during the previous year produced an operating profit of 1,331million yen, showing a significant improvement in profitability compared to a huge operating loss for the same quarter one year ago.

TS is taking this too personally.

i think time to take him aside and tell him to stand in the corner like a good boy. :bsmilie:

I understand the graph and the chart but it doesnt concern me at all. Ultimately, I'm buying a camera not Pentax's shares. Who cares if Pentax is making money or not? ;p

Who cares if Pentax is making money or not? ;p

some people will just think that since pentax is not getting increasing market share, they will close shop.

did you think nikon or canon was top of the pack before? they're still around, aren't they? :bsmilie:

It is a nice chart.... how do I make use of it to take good pictures again ?... :)

Anyway... I met this guy who was carrying a lowepro bag... so I started a chit chat on camera stuff.
He was using a Canon... and I told him I was using Pentax.
He told me to switch before it is too late... there will be only 1 company left soon... and it will be Canon :sweat:

TS. Don't view valid comments through your rose tinted glasses. People are not mindless fan boys.

It's true that stats tell a lot, but not the full story. I personally want to know the source and the context.

The bikini analogy is perfectly appropriate.

Yeah I guess you made good points with your view, saying only thing you can get from those 2 charts is "I can see Pentax did better this year than last year", and raising some other issue to OP such as new stats from HOYA on 2010 sales. come on, 2010 has not ended yet.
you are good at such kind of skills.

Yeah, I guess Hoya is telling lies, right?

http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/investor/investor_09_22.html

Quote from Quarterly Report for the three months ended Mar. 31, 2010

In the digital camera area, the number of single-lens reflex cameras sold sharply increased from the previous year, and overall sales rose despite fierce price competition with other companies. As a result, sales for the quarter in this segment stood at 25,920 million yen. As for operating income and loss, the effects of cost cutting achieved via reorganization during the previous year produced an operating profit of 1,331million yen, showing a significant improvement in profitability compared to a huge operating loss for the same quarter one year ago.

some people will just think that since pentax is not getting increasing market share, they will close shop.

did you think nikon or canon was top of the pack before? they're still around, aren't they? :bsmilie:

So are they worried about whatever brand of laptop, TV, washing machine they are using too? Wow, life is so stress...:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.