DSLR in wet, wet Phuket

tomyumgoong

Oct 24, 2008
Hi,

Next monday I will be going to Phuket for a vacation. I intend to bring my Canon 7D there but we have many water sports planned. (rafting, snorkelling, and even buggy rides(mud!))
Is there any way to protect my camera, besides keeping it in the hotel, which of course defeats the purpose of bringing it.

Thanks for help.

Last edited:
Zip Lock Bag? (very transparent type)

I've seen others doing it... (of course, not using it in submerge mode :))

Hi,

Next monday I will be going to Phuket for a vacation. I intend to bring my Canon 7D there but we have many water sports planned. (rafting, snorkelling, and even buggy rides(mud!))
Is there any way to protect my camera, besides keeping it in the hotel, which of course defends the purpose of bringing it.

Thanks for help.

Put it in NTUC plastic bag? I know it looks funny but it works for me. :cool:

or you could get one of these from ebay. The first one is too cheap for me to believe that it will work underwater, but i think it should be sufficient to protect from rain/splashes. The 2nd one seems to be of better quality, perhaps you can even bring it snorkeling.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260547071144&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
!Biu+Y9gBmk~$(KGrHqQOKkQEsnuUi+Q+BLQf0qyQSw~~_12.JPG

or

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380232887937&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
!BYVNovw!2k~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLmY7zeBKg-2vC88g~~_2.JPG

Hi TS,
Your activities constitutes risk of camera falling into water. Protecting your camera in this case is as good as protecting it from water i.e. in the event of a capsized raft. Are you sure you will be slinging to something that bulky during your course of rafting? For the benefit of a doubt, I'm very much like you because I understand the fact that you do not want to miss out certain moments that you hope to capture on camera.

Waterproofing with those rubber casing will protect you from water but not the shock the camera receive from bumps though cameras are often build to take some knocks. If you are engaging yourself in the rigorous rafting and buggy activities, dont you think a PnS is more suitable? If you are not really engaging in those activities and only there as a camera man of sort, any of those waterproofing rubber case is sufficient to see you through.

Its always safe better than sorry. Cheers :)