DSLR in really low temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlim

Oct 28, 2005
NEL
Bringing D80 and D50 to Hokkaido this december. Anything i should be prepared for? Thanks.

bring spare battery as the battery drains faster in cold temp.
bring lots of memory cards, hokkaido has lots of nice scenery to take
if using centre weighted metering, over expose your exposure to get the snow back to white instead of 18% grey

enjoy yourself

Other usual cold-weather precautions ...

Keep the camera/lense under cover as long as possible, take out only when shooting then put back.

When moving in from the cold into a heated room, allow time for the camera to warm up gradually to prevent condensation.

If yr using gloves, make sure the finger portion can be opened, or is made of a thinner material to allow you to 'feel' your buttons and controls.

Have a safe trip!

I was in Hokkaido last December, and although no DSLR with me then, I think the conditions may not exactly be that bad for a DSLR. Just bring extra batts, and make sure you do daily maintenance with your camera. It can get wet quite easily when it starts to snow.

Also, don't be too overly protective about the camera. If it is a holiday right, just enjoy it. Precautions like take out only when necessary is pragmatic, but it depend on your preference.

Bringing D80 and D50 to Hokkaido this december. Anything i should be prepared for? Thanks.

This has already been discussed several times, and one such thread (also traveling to japan, what a coincidence) was just a couple days ago.

As per forum guidelines, please try a search instead of opening a whole new thread.

Protect your cam when goign from indoor to outdoor place. The temp change can be quite steep. Also, will risk fogging up the lens.

Secondly if your batt doesn't work, put it under your armpit (or somewhere warm if you don't want the ba-U smell) to heat it up and try again =)

Protect your cam when goign from indoor to outdoor place. The temp change can be quite steep. Also, will risk fogging up the lens.

Secondly if your batt doesn't work, put it under your armpit (or somewhere warm if you don't want the ba-U smell) to heat it up and try again =)

actually it is from outdoor (cold) to indoor (warm) that condensation will occur

For me i went to beijing a few years back even tho i didnt have a dslr then i had a camera..so yea..battery drain very fast to spare batt is a must and i put a heat pad with my camera...so my camera is always warm and toasty..idk if it'll work with a dslr tho...nv try

Don't think you need to worry too much, just follow the advices given above. Hokkaido is a beautiful place, enjoy yourself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.