DSLR, here I come!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubey

Oct 23, 2008
Hello all,

I'm just picked up this hobby and I have been playing alot with my Canon powershot S5 since. Looking at many great pictures and what better cameras could do, I have decided to get a dslr and explore further more! 40D next?

DSLR definately gives u more control than prosumer and point-and-shoot.

take time to learn the basic.

get a camera and 1 to 2 lens that will serve u for years to come.

dun upgrade unnecessarily.

Just a heads up, do not expect better results instantly with a DSLR. You need to learn the basics of handling one if you haven't got that kind of knowledge and also some fundamentals in editing work.

If you have lots of money, you may choose to get the new Canon 50D + 18-55mm IS (kit1) + 55-250mm IS (telephoto). That will last you a long time (not talking about value, talking about you 'outgrowing' it).

If you don't have that much money to spare, the 40D is still good.

hi there..welcome:)

why not save some expense and get a 40D and get 18-55 IS & 55-250 IS for a starter package? u may wanna spend further(in very near future) on a 50mm prime, flash..etc.

better bodies are coming up every year. 50D will outdated next year..so investing in lenses first may be another idea..:think:

cheers to your new DSLR..

Hi, welcome, 40D is a good choice. If you can afford it and has a passion in photography, it be a keeper and serve you well in years to come before your next upgrade.

Hello Guys!

Thanks for your encouragement - finally I got my 40D, and Im just looking for the lenses to go with it. Well, I'm not loaded to start off with too-good lenses.. I was thinking my first lens - like a 28-135mm, what do you guys think?

Yes, no matter what, the photography skill is the most important, if given a superb combo of lens and camera, if cant fully maxmise the camera, then it would be a waste.

I love nature and would like to explore on taking good landscape pictures, I was looking at lenses (Sigma ones particularly), however the more I read, the more lenses I discoverd and I became very distracted and confused quickly.

Hmm, I would be having a 17-55mm temporary, but I gotta own a lens of my own very soon.

1. 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO
2. 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC

Or should I just put these issues aside first?

Hey Dubey,

Congrats on your new purchase. My bro in-law just upgraded to the 40D also. He was considering 50D but ended choosing 40D.

The lens you want would be the type of photography you're interested. Since you're into nature - landscape, a good lens would be 17-55mm. If you looking nature-macro a Tamron 90mm or Canon 100mm would be suitable. If you're a serious macro guy, then 150mm or 180mm will be a good choice. To choose which macro lens, it will depend on your budget. If I'm not wrong, the Tammy 90mm would fit your bill.

The 18-200mm lens you mentioned is good for walkabout or general usage. Again, depends what you wanna take.

My 2 cents worth.

I would say I like to take up photogrpahy as a tool for me to capture things I love most - I like to walk around alot, and I'll never know what you will be encountering. Yeah Im deciding on a walk about lens now, I guess too many choices for me to narrow down..

Maybe I should try out some lenses in a camera shop?

I would love to own:

1. UWA/WA lenses
2. Fisheye lens/filter for the occasional situations
3. lens which I will find extremely useful in lowlight conditions.

For UWA, I have read many of you having different choices like EF10-22mm, Tokina 11-16, Sigma 12-24mm, Tamron 18-70mm.. Gosh too many!

Hello Guys!

Thanks for your encouragement - finally I got my 40D, and Im just looking for the lenses to go with it. Well, I'm not loaded to start off with too-good lenses.. I was thinking my first lens - like a 28-135mm, what do you guys think?

Yes, no matter what, the photography skill is the most important, if given a superb combo of lens and camera, if cant fully maxmise the camera, then it would be a waste.

I love nature and would like to explore on taking good landscape pictures, I was looking at lenses (Sigma ones particularly), however the more I read, the more lenses I discoverd and I became very distracted and confused quickly.

Hmm, I would be having a 17-55mm temporary, but I gotta own a lens of my own very soon.

1. 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO
2. 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC

Or should I just put these issues aside first?
You might also want to take up lessons in both photography and photoshop...especially on photoshop. as for which lens, why not rent first and try before you decide.

1. UWA/WA lenses
2. Fisheye lens/filter for the occasional situations
3. lens which I will find extremely useful in lowlight conditions.

i personally think fisheyes are quite a novelty, and novelties dun last long.

and as u mentioned, for the occasional situations, them situations dun occur too often. it might end up sitting in your dry cabi almost all the time.

like putting a stack of cash in your cabi, except that this stack of cash will depreciate in value rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.