DSLR Full Frame vs MIL cameras

cqprime

Dec 8, 2008
Singapore, Singapore
Do you think the mirrorless interchangeable lens (MIL) cameras like Panasonic and Sony will overtake Canon and Nikon DSLR technology ?

In terms of picture quality ?

Hmm ur title a bit misleading. Thought this is a full frame versus evil thread.

And this could potentially start brand war all over haha.

To sum it up , the market is big enough for diversity and niches. And nowadays people are rich enough to own more than 1 camera or system.

I don't think there's a camera out there that has lousy iq. Just that one does better than the other in certain aspects . The features might differ. Whoever can innovate faster and achieve price- margin balance better will take the lead eventually.

Look at the history of the no 1 in the past. It keep changing with times, who does it well at each era , makes their name in history if they cannot keep up with their competitors

what to takeover? takeover in what?

anyway, if you're asking how about the popularity of mirrorless interchangeable lens (MIL) cameras.

in consumer market, perhaps.

in professional usage, No.

According to NYT :

"Despite the lingering grip of the economic recession, consumers are snapping up detachable lens cameras. Sales of D.S.L.R.’s are up 20 percent this year, while inexpensive point-and-shoots are down 5 percent, according to the research firm NPD Group. (MIL cameras are included in the D.S.L.R. category and account for 5 percent of sales, up from 1 percent last year.)"

“In this economy it is interesting to see people investing in things that are important to the family,” said Liz Cutting, executive director and senior imaging analyst at NPD Group. A largely male audience is driving sales of higher-end cameras, she said, “because it’s something they can buy without feeling guilty, since they can justify the purchase as a contribution to their family.”

I guess i can be considered the one buying the camera for family use. :bsmilie:

Like how 35mm film is replaced by Digital Camera. Will the MIL tech replace DSLR totally?

what to takeover? takeover in what?

anyway, if you're asking how about the popularity of mirrorless interchangeable lens (MIL) cameras.

in consumer market, perhaps.

in professional usage, No.

When "MIL" starts introducing FF sensors with a wide array of lenses, maybe..

Ryan

Like how 35mm film is replaced by Digital Camera. Will the MIL tech replace DSLR totally?

If u mean "Totally replaced", then my answer is NO. Btw, there is still people shooting using 35mm film.

Do you think the mirrorless interchangeable lens (MIL) cameras like Panasonic and Sony will overtake Canon and Nikon DSLR technology ?

In terms of picture quality ?

If it's purely picture quality, then the NEX is basically there already - since it uses a full APS-C sensor.

But for professional use? Naaaah.

Do u find NEX sony worth investing in? + lens?

The NEX system is more like an advanced point and shoot with a DSLR sensor. So it really depends on your needs. Most photogs that buy it use it as a lightweight backup/travel camera, or to use the old manual focus lenses (it is very nice for that too).

The NEX system only has 3 lenses so far, but more are being released. It will never be a full "pro" system, but it was never designed to be. Sony sees it as complementing their Alpha DSLR line.

The mirrorless camera was invented because the DSLR market was saturated (will not grow anymore). It is not meant to replace the DSLR, it was meant to increase sales of camera makers. It is another type of camera that offers portability with a compromise of image quality and professional controls, amongst other factors.

I bought a PEN and it has been sitting in my dry cabi after may be 1000 shots...don't like it....

I don't know, it doesn't make sense to compose a photograph through an electronic viewfinder or through the LCD screen.

But, MIL camera will most probably replace entry level DSLR. THEREFORE, I am waiting for CANON to come up with their own mirror less camera system perhaps with a smaller senser (X3.0).

For the average consumer and layman, probably yes, as some sort of new 'compact camera'. Most ppl never print large prints A3 to A0 and most viewing is done on smallish monitors or TVs at resolutions and sizes that makes the difference in sensor quality negligible.

For serious enthusiasts and professional work that require large prints and the best quality, it won't for the next few years at least. Not until EVF response and resolution equals optical viewfinders and large sensors go onto these MIL cameras.
In fact ppl still shoot MF and Large Format film till this day.

define "Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens"... just a camera without a mirror?...

looking at a very loose definition of "MIL", I know a current "MIL" that is popular with some professionals and also with some well to do enthusiasts... the Leica M9 (no mirror, and can change lens)...

regarding "Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens" (EVIL) cameras, there will come a day when EVFs will vastly outperform optical viewfinders in terms of sharpness, colour, visibility, response, and price... that will be the day when EVILs will mostly, if not entirely, replace SLRs... not tomorrow or next year, but maybe within 10 yrs... until then, shoot with whatever is available and don't worry or think so much about it...

what is the selling point of MIL cameras btw?

So that consumers can spend chucks on small cameras that mount lenses larger than the camera :bsmilie:

Jokes aside, compact camera sizing with the appropriate lenses and DSLR like quality.