DSLR Full Frame vs MIL cameras

What about Sony's SLT (Single Lens Translucent)? Have mirrors that don't move - so you get an optical viewfinder with no moving mirror flapping around during shots. Is this the future you think?

If the mirrors are replaced with translucent ones, there will be some loss of light (as i understand it). If the translucent mirror is fixed, the low light performance will suffer. Of course, you move the translucent mirrors when you take a photo and only keep it in place in case of movies to get around this problem.

MIL or SLT or DSLR, a fixed one lens camera is cost saving. No need to clean sensor, dust free,
alignment of sensor with lens is optimised and with saving, can go oversea to test it out. After using it for some time, it remains a favourite and no longer in dry cabinet most of the time, cheap and good

fmeeran said:
If the mirrors are replaced with translucent ones, there will be some loss of light (as i understand it). If the translucent mirror is fixed, the low light performance will suffer.

On some LRT trains I saw this electronic curtain that can switch the glass from 100% opaque to 100% transparent. May be the camera makers should try it.

"Digitimes reports that in Taiwan, Nikon’s market share for interchangeable lens cameras dropped to 20-25% compared to Canon with 42-43% and Sony with 30%. The reasons for Nikon’s drop are product shortages and strong sales of Sony NEX cameras. The website goes further by stating that Nikon is able to satisfy only 50% of all existing orders. The shortages are expected to be resolved by December 2010."

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2010/12/01/i...ngeable-lens-camera-market.aspx#ixzz1CkaPbSUf

Nikon is eyeing up the launch of a mirrorless interchangeable-lens system camera in light of the growing popularity of such models.

Speaking at a recent press conference in London, Michio Miwa, managing director of Nikon UK said the firm is considering this as an option, telling journalists 'of course we are interested'.

Miwa added that Nikon is 'basically considering all our options', but he would not be drawn further.

Earlier this year Nikon President Makoto Kimura was quoted as telling Bloomberg news agency that Nikon's 'new concept' model is likely to boast enhanced video functionality.

'It could be any time this fiscal year or the following year, as new models are starting to sell,' said Kimura.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/nikon_eyes_up_mirrorless_system_camera_news_302328.html

From the news i can see Nikon and Canon struggling to contain the sales of MIL units from other companies. I can see Panasonic pushing GF 2 MIL and Sony NEX MIL units aggressively.

Canon and Nikon needs to repackage and resell themselves soon or else become irrelevant.

What do you all think? Nikon seems to be going towards MIL unit but Canon is quiet on that front. :think::think:

"Sony Alpha NEX - Singapore’s #1 Brand for compact interchangeable lens cameras."
Source: GfK Singapore retail audit July-Sept 2010 for compact interchangeable lens cameras in units.

What do you think of this claim based on GFK Spore retail audit report ? I yet to see my friends carrying a Sony NEX ? Have u seen any friends adopting MIL Tech : Sony NEX ?:think:

Thom Hogan (http://www.bythom.com/) thinks that the rise in mirrorless sales are due to people "sampling" more than "adopting". People are trying too see if they are really that good, hence the rise in sales. Once things settle, some people will "adopt" mirrorless systems and some will ditch them. Thom Hogan also thinks that mirrorless cameras do not replace cameras, but they replace compacts.

Thom Hogan (http://www.bythom.com/) thinks that the rise in mirrorless sales are due to people "sampling" more than "adopting". People are trying too see if they are really that good, hence the rise in sales. Once things settle, some people will "adopt" mirrorless systems and some will ditch them. Thom Hogan also thinks that mirrorless cameras do not replace cameras, but they replace compacts.

I hope the MIL will eventually move these new people from MIL to DSLR to L Lens

cqprime said:
I hope the MIL will eventually move these new people from MIL to DSLR to L Lens

Why l lens? :)

What i mean is moving to premium Lens to know that it makes a difference

No you don't need an L lens to take good pictures. They may be more well built, but they do not necessarily give the best image quality.

I carry a D700 and samsung NX10 for my trips.

People say that IQ of MIL is poor but seriously, there isn't much difference. Even when blown up, especially in good lighting.

The SINGLE BIGGEST problem of MIL is the AF. It cannot track moving objects for at all.... so you can only shoot stationary objects.

The next problem is the EVF.

Once they improve on the AF, I will happily ditch my D700 for a MIL camera.

Have you see how small the NX10 + 30mm f/2 lens is?

The AF problem on MIL is due to sensor issue or because of the MIL ?

I carry a D700 and samsung NX10 for my trips.

People say that IQ of MIL is poor but seriously, there isn't much difference. Even when blown up, especially in good lighting.

The SINGLE BIGGEST problem of MIL is the AF. It cannot track moving objects for at all.... so you can only shoot stationary objects.

The next problem is the EVF.

Once they improve on the AF, I will happily ditch my D700 for a MIL camera.

Have you see how small the NX10 + 30mm f/2 lens is?

brapodam said:
No you don't need an L lens to take good pictures. They may be more well built, but they do not necessarily give the best image quality.

I beg to differ...everything constant, L lens shld give a better quality vs the consumer grade.

Eg 24-105L vs 24-85

What about Sony's SLT (Single Lens Translucent)? Have mirrors that don't move - so you get an optical viewfinder with no moving mirror flapping around during shots. Is this the future you think?

SLT do not have optical viewfinders...

The translucent "mirrors" are there to throw enough reflection up to the phase detect AF sensor above. It is still EVF.

The AF problem on MIL is due to sensor issue or because of the MIL ?

The AF system used by MIL and DSLR are different. The DSLR employed a system known as phase-detection while MIL and compacts uses contrast-measurement. Compared to phase-detection, contrast measurement is slower.

I beg to differ...everything constant, L lens shld give a better quality vs the consumer grade.

Eg 24-105L vs 24-85

The 17-55 IS USM has pretty good IQ too, so does the 10-22. They are not labeled as L lenses.

Eg 24-105L vs 24-85

This proves that marketing is so important, and very effective in influencing consumer thinking and behavior.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: