DSLR Full Frame vs MIL cameras

According to NYT : “In this economy it is interesting to see people investing in things that are important to the family,” said Liz Cutting, executive director and senior imaging analyst at NPD Group. A largely male audience is driving sales of higher-end cameras, she said, “because it’s something they can buy without feeling guilty, since they can justify the purchase as a contribution to their family.”

Do you also when buying your new camera tell your wife that it is a contribution to the family? I do.

Hmmm.......i think it will be a good excuse for me when buying a new camera. But how to explain when later I added more lenses and accessories :dunno:

Last edited:
Hmmm.......i think it will be a good excuse for me when buying a new camera. But how to explain when later I added more lenses and accessories :dunno:

mmmm good point. maybe for added image quality and better effects. :bsmilie:

I recalled when i wanted a battery grip for my 1000D ...i told my wife that i can use it to shoot portrait of her easier. Well i got my battery grip heee

Last edited:

I recalled when i wanted a battery grip for my 1000D ...i told my wife that i can use it to shoot portrait of her easier. Well i got my battery grip heee

Hehe.....think i can try that in the future :bsmilie:

Back to the topic, i feel that MIL cameras need to improve on the AF in order to compete with DSLR. Observed that my NEX-5 sometimes struggle to auto-focus in low-light condition. A DSLR should be able to AF faster due to phase-detection.

Is this camera sold locally? How much does it cost? I not seen it before

can the the Hartblei HCAM B1 consider a MIL? :)

There is not mirror to flip up, a prism VF can be used, looks very professional.

Lots of interchangeable lens with different mount attachment. totally modular.

http://www.hartblei.eu/en/hartbleicam1.htm

What excuse did you give to get the 5DMII then? :bsmilie:

What excuse did you give to get the 5DMII then? :bsmilie:

Good point, well i told her it was cost savings as 5D mkII was priced higher when it first came in and now it is only $3100+ cheaper. Plus this full frame can last me a longer time and there is no need to upgrade from 1000D to 60d to 7D to FF.

Just one direct upgrade from cropped body to FF body. cost savings. :)

cqprime said:
According to NYT : “In this economy it is interesting to see people investing in things that are important to the family,” said Liz Cutting, executive director and senior imaging analyst at NPD Group. A largely male audience is driving sales of higher-end cameras, she said, “because it’s something they can buy without feeling guilty, since they can justify the purchase as a contribution to their family.”

Do you also when buying your new camera tell your wife that it is a contribution to the family? I do.

Agree...lol. Another thing helps. I usually buy something nice for her before I get the cam :) handbags work pretty well in my case!

But when your wife buy a $5000 LV bag or $10000 Chanel bag, do they feel guilty or need to get permission from you as well?

kentwong81 said:
But when your wife buy a $5000 LV bag or $10000 Chanel bag, do they feel guilty or need to get permission from you as well?

Most of the time I end up buying, lol.

Is this camera sold locally? How much does it cost? I not seen it before

there is no local dealer in Singapore as far as I know.

But it is not a system that I want to lug around to take pictures. :)

kentwong81 said:
:bsmilie: ....wife buys luxury bag, husband buy DSLR, fair deal :thumbsup:

I end up buying the pradas AND the cameras ...

giantcanopy said:
I end up buying the pradas AND the cameras ...

Same here, lol. Prada still ok....chanel or herme damn siong (sweat).

cqprime said:
Well i wish that was true in my case, wife does not like luxury bags or shoes but expensive travel. haha
:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Hey, can go tokyo or new york to shop for cameras at the same time....better still go nearby HK, alot cheaper!

I wonder anyone here started collecting lens for MIL cameras. I saw Sony NEX having offers.

What about Sony's SLT (Single Lens Translucent)? Have mirrors that don't move - so you get an optical viewfinder with no moving mirror flapping around during shots. Is this the future you think?